Author Topic: Dungeon Maker : Dark Lord  (Read 441 times)

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
Dungeon Maker : Dark Lord
« on: June 05, 2018, 02:42:31 pm »
The boards have been quiet and I thought this rogue-like may be interesting for the rest of you.

http://toucharcade.com/link/http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id1359652100?mt=8

Like the old PC game Dungeon Keeper, you take the role of the end boss of a dungeon.  You build your dungeon based upon cards drawn at the end of a battle.  You start with a 3x3 grid dungeon.  I believe you can, after some playing, start with a 4x3 dungeon.  You get to choose between getting random monsters, upgrading your monsters/dark lord, or adding/upgrading rooms in your dungeon. 

The session is split across 20 days.  On day 1, you get your pick of 3 possible battles.  You can see what your options are on new day based upon you pick for the current day. Day 19 is always an opportunity to upgrade your dungeon, monster or room, or rest and restore the HP of your dark lord.  Day 20 is a boss battle.  The goal is to make it to day 100.  Eventually, to day nnn as you continue going on and on.

As you play through, you level your dark lord of choice and are given the option of purchasing upgrades.  The upgrades are pick at random for your selection.  The currency is only from hitting certain milestones.  I have 12 unlocked right now including the option to bring 1 monster from my last dungeon with me to the next dungeon.  There is the option to also bring rooms with you from play through to play through.  The room/monster starts back at level 1, but if you unlocked a powerful room/monster combination, it helps to bring it along for the next playthrough.

I have yet to get beyond day 100 on the normal playthrough and I was 3 days away from day 100 on  the 2nd level of difficulty.  It is a nice semi-mindless diversion.  Be careful that if you enjoy rogue-likes, you may end up playing for a lot longer than you thought you would.  "Just 1 more try" kept me up until 2 AM on Friday night. 

taeles

• “Sir Romphs-a-lot”
  • The Adults
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: taeles
Re: Dungeon Maker : Dark Lord
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 08:03:43 pm »
-waves- ty for the review on it, been in my curiosity pile for a bit now. Sorry for my silence, bought a house, my first :)

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 10:25:20 pm »
-waves- ty for the review on it, been in my curiosity pile for a bit now. Sorry for my silence, bought a house, my first :)

It is a good off-line game if you can put it down.

Congrats on the first house. 

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 04:21:07 pm »
I still have the game, and there was a recent update.  I have not played as much ironically due to how "addicting" it is to finish one more run. 

The latest update adds some more unlocks to the game.  I should have chosen the auto-play mode when I had the chance.  It might have helped me with new games.  Tapping the screen frantically gets a bit tiring after a while.  I do have 2 special monsters that move from game to game for me.  I have not managed to be luck enough for the room inheritance unlock.  But, we will see what a few more loops will get me.  I did get 3 Dark Lords unlocked and have gotten up to Hard 4.