Author Topic: Dead spots on iPad  (Read 1700 times)

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
Dead spots on iPad
« on: January 25, 2018, 02:48:17 pm »
Before I go search the forums, thought I'd put this out there.  My 1st gen iPad Pro 12.9" seems to have developed dead spots in the LCD.  Certain areas are no responsive to touch at all.  I have not gone back and seen if the pencil is able to see these spots.  I've done a couple of reboots already.  I tried loading the newest iOS last night.  I'll see if this continues.  But it looks like if the dead spots are really there, I'll need to pick up a keyboard for my iPad or a new iPad.   :(

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: ninja12129
  • Plus+: Ninja12129
Re: Dead spots on iPad
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2018, 09:59:43 am »
Do you have a case on your iPad? I've got the same iPad, with a Survivor case, and I'm noticing dead spots close to the corners. It could just be the film covering on the case that's the problem. Believe it, or not, I've never removed the case to see if that's a solution. It just takes a little bit more pressure to get to those areas.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2018, 04:48:46 pm »
Im only using a cover.  I noticed the dead spots where the keyboard usually is for landscape mode.  I cleaned the screen a bit again with a different cloth to see if it helps, but no.  And yes, it does take a bit more pressure in those areas.  Almost like parts of the capacitive touch screen is loosing contact from the glass or something.  And since my iPad is more than 2 years, old, it is out of apple care warrenty.  Im seeing if I can cope for a while longer to see if something new comes out that might work out better than just getting another 12.9 pro.

taeles

• Sir Romphs-a-lot
  • The Adults
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: taeles
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2018, 07:36:09 pm »
All the rumors are leaning towards the entire iPad line up getting facial id, dropping the home button and going ipX edge to edge screens. My suspicion? The pro models will go that route. The mini and entry level 9.7 will not

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 11:52:16 am »
Thanks Taeles.  I guess that means I try to make things work until June for the next announcement.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 12:26:48 pm »
Update time.  I've gotten a microfiber lens cleaning cloth to wipe down my iPad pro's screen.  I get more responsiveness from the "dead spots" but that is only good for ~1/2 a day.  I guess the finger prints are building up enough that it is interfering with the touch response.  It is a stop gap for me until I decide what to do.  I don't recall needing to wipe my screen down this frequently last year.  I'd wipe it down monthly.  Oh well.

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: ninja12129
  • Plus+: Ninja12129
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 11:54:55 pm »
Well, there's really only one solution then: remove your screen! :P
All joking aside, I hope it all works out :)