Author Topic: Looking for brave souls to test out  (Read 2836 times)

taeles

• “Sir Romphs-a-lot”
  • The Adults
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: taeles
Re: Looking for brave souls to test out
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2017, 02:49:25 pm »
So... spent last 40 minutes on tech support with apple.

Lets summarize my problem.
. started with iOS11
. occasionally the battery suddenly decides its 100% battery charge is 0% and drops to black screen battery indicator
. hard reboot with no charge cable plugged in required to recover
. happened as often as 2 times a day
. iOS11.0.1 hits, becomes much less frequent, happens once a week maybe
. iOS11.0.2 the problem went a way for a few days and then returned... today

Finally got the ipad back up, apple tech support diagnosed it via wifi and their answer is "partial battery failure, battery requires replacement".

I mean I really want to trust apple tech support. I really do. But I mean look at the symptoms. Look when they started. Look how its fixed each time. This just dosent add up to their solution. I pointed out the odd coinsidences here and their reply was that 'sometimes ios updates reveal existing hardware issues that previous ios versions missed'.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 03:03:07 pm by taeles »

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2017, 06:45:30 pm »
So... spent last 40 minutes on tech support with apple.

Lets summarize my problem.
. started with iOS11
. occasionally the battery suddenly decides its 100% battery charge is 0% and drops to black screen battery indicator
. hard reboot with no charge cable plugged in required to recover
. happened as often as 2 times a day
. iOS11.0.1 hits, becomes much less frequent, happens once a week maybe
. iOS11.0.2 the problem went a way for a few days and then returned... today

Finally got the ipad back up, apple tech support diagnosed it via wifi and their answer is "partial battery failure, battery requires replacement".

I mean I really want to trust apple tech support. I really do. But I mean look at the symptoms. Look when they started. Look how its fixed each time. This just dosent add up to their solution. I pointed out the odd coinsidences here and their reply was that 'sometimes ios updates reveal existing hardware issues that previous ios versions missed'.
Visited a friend this weekend who uses me as tech support whenever we get together. It usually starts with a casual remark. Friend: "Funny thing, my iPhone battery drains awfully fast lately. I did everything you taught me (in the past), but nothing works." Me: "Did you update to iOS 11?" Friend: "Don't know."

Checked. She did.
Coincidence? Don't think so.

Now you know why, with each, whole number update, I stick with the previous iOS as long as I can. When the bugs are gone... and Apple doesn't try to point the finger elsewhere... and I find replacement apps for those I paid for and depend on... only then.
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2017, 12:39:53 pm »
Pure speculation on my part.  The firmware for the battery circuit may have been providing information in a specific fashion and the previous OS was reading it one way.  The new OS is reading that same information in another way.  This could be why the new OS shows the wild battery fluctuations.  How?  The previous OS may have discarded a sudden drop in battery life and ramped the indicator down in a more gradual manner.  In other words, rather than show a 50% drop instantaneously, it should the max it was allowed to drop during each time interval.  The end result was that you got to that 50% drop, but spread over time.   

I will say that I've noticed varying battery life while using the same app under iOS 11.  But who knows if something else was polling in the background.  I haven't gotten around to verifying everything that I disabled background updates is still disabled in this new OS version.  I got bit by a Waterfox update where my preferences were lost and I had to tell Waterfox to never remember passwords and history again.

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2017, 01:06:28 pm »
...I got bit by a Waterfox update where my preferences were lost and I had to tell Waterfox to never remember passwords and history again.
Apologies for OT, but curious why you are using Waterfox. Everything I've read (over the years and between updates) comes down to it still not being as RAM friendly as Firefox. I've got my FF highly customized, so not looking to change, yet, if you know something else, I'd like to hear. Thanks!

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #49 on: October 17, 2017, 01:38:21 pm »
Not much of interest in 11.0.3 - and no security updates included in it - and the advice seems to be don’t upgrade unless you are having one of the problems addressed. I didn’t upgrade to .0.2 yet either and am glad as the report I was reading says both of the first two updates seem to have created more issues than they solved.

11.0.3:
Apple’s iOS 11.0.3 release notes list fixes for two specific problems:

Fixes an issue where audio and haptic feedback would not work on some iPhone 7 and iPhone 7 Plus devices
Addresses an issue where touch input was unresponsive on some iPhone 6s displays because they were not services with genuine Apple parts.

Taeles you are most definitely not alone in your battery issues:

“...certainly not in comparison to the flood of performance and battery life complaints that have been streaming in for weeks and have been tangibly measured at scale by data analytics company Wandera.”

Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

taeles

• “Sir Romphs-a-lot”
  • The Adults
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2017, 09:18:22 am »
Welp, the 12.9 is now officially refusing to accept a charge. Period. Nada. Don't pass go. Straight to Jail. Nothing is recovering it now, just a low battery icon and plugging it in with any cord acknowledges the cord is plugged in but does not begin charging.

This happened roughly 12hrs after updating the 12.9 to 11.0.3.

One part of me wants to say its iOS 11.
One part of me remembers a 20ish degree bending incident that occurred about a year and a half ago and wondering honestly if this is long term damage from that incident rearing its ugly head.

All of me wishes I could revert the 12.9 to iOS 10.3.3.

Apple steadfastly states its diagnosis returned multiple battery issues.

taeles

• “Sir Romphs-a-lot”
  • The Adults
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2017, 09:39:09 am »
Oh hey dilemma. If you had a 10.5 in front of you brand new that surprisingly still ships with 10.3.3... would you update it to 11.0.3?

Safety of 10.3.3 is tempting but...
No cloud backups to restore from, all cloud backups are 11.0 or higher.

Hmm.

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2017, 01:28:04 pm »
Oh hey dilemma. If you had a 10.5 in front of you brand new that surprisingly still ships with 10.3.3... would you update it to 11.0.3?

Hmm.
Wait... what?! If you don't update to 11+, your iCloud stores, but can't be used as backup/restore? Confused as mine is still working the same as always. Also read on Apple site instructions for uninstalling 11 to return to 10.3.3 (seems a lot of folk are doing just that), followed by how to restore from cloud. Please clarify what you are saying so I can stop hyperventilating.

And to answer your question... No on 11. In fact, those other smartphones are, for the first time, tempting me.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 18, 2017, 03:26:06 pm »
...I got bit by a Waterfox update where my preferences were lost and I had to tell Waterfox to never remember passwords and history again.
Apologies for OT, but curious why you are using Waterfox. Everything I've read (over the years and between updates) comes down to it still not being as RAM friendly as Firefox. I've got my FF highly customized, so not looking to change, yet, if you know something else, I'd like to hear. Thanks!
Not sure how I missed so many updates.  I guess the run up to my business trip did have me working on other things.  (It is humid over here.  Ugh.)  Anyway, I uses Waterfox as Firefox does not have 64-bit executables for Windows for some reason.  The 32-bit Firefox was consistently giving me memory issues.  Waterfox, not so much.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 18, 2017, 03:27:09 pm »

Hmm.
No.  In fact I would not update it to 11.0.3 right now.

taeles

• “Sir Romphs-a-lot”
  • The Adults
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: October 18, 2017, 08:57:22 pm »

Hmm.
Wait... what?! If you don't update to 11+, your iCloud stores, but can't be used as backup/restore? Confused as mine is still working the same as always. Also read on Apple site instructions for uninstalling 11 to return to 10.3.3 (seems a lot of folk are doing just that), followed by how to restore from cloud. Please clarify what you are saying so I can stop hyperventilating.

And to answer your question... No on 11. In fact, those other smartphones are, for the first time, tempting me.

When i powered up this 10.5, it was running 10.3.3. When it got to the option of set up as new ipad or restore, if i choose restore the only back up options were from my wife’s old iPhone 6+ which is running 10.3.3. None of the 12.9’s backups on cloud were present.

Edit : Also, im not sure how folks are reverting to 10.3.3. Last I checked a week back apple had dropped certs for anything prior to 11, this preventing folks from installing 10.3.3 or anything older. Where’d you see it still do able?
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 09:06:53 pm by taeles »

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 19, 2017, 04:39:29 pm »

Hmm.

When i powered up this 10.5, it was running 10.3.3. When it got to the option of set up as new ipad or restore, if i choose restore the only back up options were from my wife’s old iPhone 6+ which is running 10.3.3. None of the 12.9’s backups on cloud were present.

Edit : Also, im not sure how folks are reverting to 10.3.3. Last I checked a week back apple had dropped certs for anything prior to 11, this preventing folks from installing 10.3.3 or anything older. Where’d you see it still do able?
You had to ask me! I went back on my search history and still couldn't find the exact article (I remember it was dated September 2017 and was on the Apple community help site). However, I am wondering if the problem is that there was little forewarning that once you have gone to 11 AND backed up your data to iCloud, your 10.3.3 backup is overwritten; therefore, you cannot revert to 10 and expect to restore your data from the Cloud.

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #57 on: November 02, 2017, 12:40:22 am »
11.1 update done.
Fingers crossed for no new major glitches.

Still, at least there’s new emojis!! 🦖
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 02, 2017, 10:03:27 am »
I may need to update.  Had a weird problem where the dock vanished on my iPad.