Author Topic: Got an iPad Pro 12.9"? Too big or just right?  (Read 865 times)

iMaiden

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: imaidenphone
  • Plus+: iMaiden
Got an iPad Pro 12.9"? Too big or just right?
« on: August 22, 2017, 10:42:12 pm »
Hello everyone...long time no chat.

I'm curious for real world feedback on using a 12.9" iPad. Because I'm about to become my local Apple store's pain in the @$$ customer for August.

Six days ago I decided on a whim to buy a new iPad just because I thought that I'd like a newer product...it's been a few years since I bought my 3rd gen. And I also wanted to pick up a pair of the AirPods that are so fashionable these days  ;).

Turns out the little pods are the bomb...my new favorite buds for sure!  However, after living with the iPad for a few days it didn't really feel like an upgrade, so I decided to take it back and get the 10.5" iPad Pro and Apple Pencil instead. Yep, I actually took them up on the 14 day return policy.

Well...it's only been about a day and a half playing with the 10.5" iPad and pencil and it is quickly becoming apparent that more real estate would be much more helpful when using the pencil within some of the photo/graphics apps. So...it looks like I'm boxing up 10.5" and buying the 12.9" instead.

Are you using the big iPad Pro? How do you like it? How much memory did you splurge on and why?

Thanks,
Rebecca

Goodbye We Rule!

taeles

• “Sir Romphs-a-lot”
  • The Adults
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: taeles
Re: Got an iPad Pro 12.9"? Too big or just right?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2017, 03:27:44 am »
I love the screen size for gaming. I love having the official keyboard on it surfing and typing. I love using my steelseries nimbus controller on it for gaming where applicable.

But it is oversized for casual carrying around and I rarely play touchscreen games that require my hands holding the taker while playing. It's just big and unwieldy for in hand or on lap gaming in my opinion.

Oh and unless anything has changed you will need to get the mac laptop white brick and cord in order to take advantage of the 31w charge speeds. Mine came with a 9w and could not charge faster than my gaming was consuming battery life.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2017, 10:34:25 am »
Been using the 12.9" since it first released.  It is big.  I find it ideal for reading magazines.  No needing to resize things or squint.  I did not buy the Apple keyboard for it.  I have a bluetooth chiclet keyboard that works just fine with it.  I did get a 3rd part case to prop it up though.  Typing on the screen is painful though.  It may be that my iPad needs to have the digitizer re-calibrated.  I've clearly hit the "n" and gotten a white space instead. 

Mine was purchased with max memory (128GB).  I've gotten right up to the memory limit a few times and had to remove media. HD movies/TV series take an absurd amount of space.  The Force Awakens took something like 10GB.  5 movies put a very noticeable dent in space available. I also had to par down the amount of music I was carrying.  As it turns out, I really shouldn't put 60GB of music on my iPad unless I plan to listen to it from my iPad. 

iMaiden

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2017, 11:54:17 am »
Thank you both for the great feedback. I know, first world problems right? I am not a person that buys a new product every year though so I just want to make sure that I will be happy long term with my choice. I think the artist side of me is already screaming for the bigger screen, portability aside and maybe a bit more memory. I will wait on adding a keyboard for now...how frugal of me.  ;)
Goodbye We Rule!

taeles

• “Sir Romphs-a-lot”
  • The Adults
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: taeles
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2017, 05:37:39 pm »
Artistic purposes demand the 12.9 with Apple Pencil which is fantastic for exactly that :)

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 12:07:31 am »
I also took the plunge with the iPad Pro - well, not so much plunge as the old iPad died a slow and lingering death.

The first couple of weeks it felt too big, like I was using a new gadget for pensioners with extra large buttons. Mind you with my weakening eyesight that's not a bad thing. But it really doesn't take long to get used to the jump in size and when I go back to an old iPad now it feels like a child's toy. No disrespect to others using them as I did for years but you do get used to whatever you are currently using.

I bought the Pen at the same time and although I don't use it all the time it is definitely a useful accessory. I use it most for annotations when drawing up and amending contracts, but it is amazing as an artist's tool, though possibly not so much in these hands.

Invested in the AirPods just this week after convincing myself they would be worth the somewhat extortionate price tag - and am using them non-stop for audiobooks on my walks. I've always hated corder headphones on long walks as they keep riding around on your neck and dragging the buds out or snagging on the pack harness, so these are bliss. I was concerned for a while about them jumping out in rough terrain and disappearing into the undergrowth but they seem to stay well put. Just a pain dragging the iPad around in my pack I suppose. For that purpose I did buy a robust Logi case and keyboard so it doesn't get scratched in the pack. But the pods really don't like my iPhone 4 (yes I know the gadget freak is still using an antique) mainly cos they prefer to work with ios10 and definitely look down on my phone as a poor relation. Which it is, but just glad I still had it when the new phone was stolen.

Agree with wilyone about typing issues - for me it's the 'a' that it regularly misses.

Memory wise I opted for the 256 mainly because I went for the smallest memory on the last iPad and almost instantly regretted it. Unlike my previous iPads I didn't bother with cellular on this one to save some money - I just don't need it at the moment.
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

iMaiden

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 09:31:33 am »
Thanks Gatecon. I also went with the 256 12.9", yesterday. I should have just started there but I am super happy that I finally ended with that one. Perhaps the process made it seem a little less painful as each time I could say to myself "well, that is only $suchnsuch more than this....". - All's well that ends well.

Ah, the AirPods, yes! They are such a smart little piece of technology aren't they?! ❤️

Your phone, hilarious, and awesome. I'm still using my old 4S, since I never did get around to getting a new one last year when I was looking at them. It works perfectly fine but will finally lose support this year. So after the big iPad purchase I may look at picking up a 7 after the 8 has been out for a bit. Who knows, apparently I'm a real tire kicker of a shopper.  ;D

Thanks everyone and have a great day!
Goodbye We Rule!