Author Topic: May 2017 Rory's Picture Cubes  (Read 916 times)

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
May 2017 Rory's Picture Cubes
« on: May 03, 2017, 02:11:02 pm »
May's Cubes.

No idea why after cropping the photo via photobucket it looks so weird.  I'll have to try and fix it on my iPad and re-upload.

Looking at what I rolled, best of luck folks.  I have no clue what to do about cube #1.  I may have to break out the DSLR to get a good shot for cube #2.

Spikeycat2

• Dark Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 5
  • Plus+: Spikeycat2
Re: May 2017 Rory's Picture Cubes
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2017, 07:23:10 am »
This is gonna be a tough one!

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2017, 08:47:34 am »
I might just take a photo of a black sky and call it Which Way's The Moon? 😉🌛
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2017, 12:14:14 pm »
That isn't that bad an idea Gate.  Unfortunately, that gives me ideas that are a little outside of my comfort zone.  I will need to play with my camera set up (and probably buy a new tripod) to see if I can pull this off.  Good thing I already found out how to "easily" do the post-processing work on a Mac.  (Going to put my Mac mini to work.) 

If that doesn't work, I have a fall back plan. 

I just need to figure out where I'm going to take these photos.  My backyard is not such a great place for shots of the night sky / moon.

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2017, 01:40:58 pm »
I'm here! I'm here! Waddidimiss? Actually, that first die is perfect for how I feel - off in a million directions at once and getting nowhere. Mmmmm... now how do you photograph that?

Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 01:42:38 pm »
I might just take a photo of a black sky and call it Which Way's The Moon? 😉🌛
;D ;D ;D

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2017, 01:57:38 pm »
That isn't that bad an idea Gate.  Unfortunately, that gives me ideas that are a little outside of my comfort zone.  I will need to play with my camera set up (and probably buy a new tripod) to see if I can pull this off.  Good thing I already found out how to "easily" do the post-processing work on a Mac.  (Going to put my Mac mini to work.) 

If that doesn't work, I have a fall back plan. 

I just need to figure out where I'm going to take these photos.  My backyard is not such a great place for shots of the night sky / moon.
Just a couple of ideas... When I took shots of the last Supermoon, I headed for the south end of Skyline in the Oakland hills above Keller during the blue hour. Dark enough for good shots, not so far as to feel isolated, and enough evening hikers and sightseers to feel safe. Skyline (the other one) off 92 would be my choice for south of SF. I use The Photographer's Ephemeris (free) online and PhotoPills (paid) app on iPhone to plot sun/moon positions.

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2017, 03:54:59 pm »
I'm here! I'm here! Waddidimiss? Actually, that first die is perfect for how I feel - off in a million directions at once and getting nowhere. Mmmmm... now how do you photograph that?

Sounds like an adventure in multiple exposure?
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2017, 09:24:04 am »
And it looks like my ideal time to go off and get photos of the moon are coinciding with the new moon.  Well, I'll see what I can do.  Hopefully my line of sight is not completely blocked.  Meanwhile, I need to finish research on a new tripod. 

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2017, 04:59:30 pm »
If it isn't too much trouble, Wilyone, would you consider throwing the dice again, both figuratively and otherwise? I go out at least twice a week shooting and, yet, still had trouble coming up with something. How about throwing 6 dice and letting us come up with something using any combo of 3. Then again, if you want it to die a natural death, I'll understand given the story that follows.

Once upon a time... in real time, 2 years ago... an unusual Supermoon/Lunar Eclipse combo was predicted. The first question was where, geographically, would I have to be to get the shot? Then, if I could get there, would the weather cooperate?

So far that summer, most of the night skies had been clear and the promise of a spectacular, Mars-red, eclipsed moon was promised.

Packing everything up, driving an hour and a half to the "perfect vantage point," setting up the gear - and standing around - HOURS before the event to assure not having to fight the crowds for both parking and standing/tripod space...

A very small percentage of the hundreds that finally turned up. On the distant ridge, where there is also a parking lot, they were standing 3 and 4 deep.

watching the crystal clear skies to the west turn from bright blue, to pale yellow, to fabulous mauves and reds, while, to the east, the blue sky turned dusky, then violet.

And, then... seconds away from the moonrise directly over the distant lighthouse (a carefully planned prop in what I hoped to be my astrophotography masterpiece)...

Trial Island Lighthouse, Victoria, BC

in... rolled... THE FOG... rising as the moon rose... never allowing it to quite... escape... its obscuring tentacles.

Well, you don't drive miles and miles, then stand around for hours, just to go away empty handed (camer-ed?), so...

Huh?

The final question is... why did I keep this photo of a red blob? To remind me of the adage, "the best laid plans of mice and (wo)men..."

Epilogue: As we made the long drive back, within minutes of home, the moon finally broke free of the fog, lifted into the now crystalline black sky and appeared as I had hoped it would... except there was nowhere to pull off the dark, twisty, country road. C'est la vie...

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2017, 10:38:27 am »
Very nice.  I'm still struggling with mine.  I couldn't get my locations to co-operate with me.  Was actually looking to shoot 1 frame per minute and get a moving shot of the moon traversing the sky.  Unfortunately, while I was out on vacation, the moon was not rising anywhere near an unobstructed shot.  Not going to have much luck doing this now that I'm home either. 

And I usually throw all 9 dice.  I take a photo of the 1st row and a photo of all 9.  This is what May's full roll looked like :

I'll put the full 9 up once I've figured out why photobucket refuses to register my uploads.