Author Topic: Feb 2017 Rory's Picture Cubes  (Read 2697 times)

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
Re: Feb 2017 Rory's Picture Cubes
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2017, 10:44:14 am »
My photo forays have been rained in.  I have another idea, but it is just too ... plebeian.  That said, I may have to go for that one instead.  The one I want requires the rain to stop when I'm in that area to take the photos for the challenge. 

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2017, 08:40:02 pm »
My photo forays have been rained in.  I have another idea, but it is just too ... plebeian.  That said, I may have to go for that one instead.  The one I want requires the rain to stop when I'm in that area to take the photos for the challenge.
Rain? What rain? You mean the torrential waterfalls washing us away? No-ah, anyone?
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2017, 04:06:47 pm »
Rain? What rain? You mean the torrential waterfalls washing us away? No-ah, anyone?
Torrential waterfalls?  Nope.  That was just rain.  It was nice being able to listen to the rhythm of the falling rain.  California streets are designed for the 90% case, a little rainfall at a time.  A lot of these issues are simply because California is not used to getting actual rain.  What some folks called a downpour, was just rain.  A downpour is when you open your door and you see a wall of water.   ;)

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2017, 09:04:12 pm »
Torrential waterfalls?  Nope.  That was just rain.  It was nice being able to listen to the rhythm of the falling rain.  California streets are designed for the 90% case, a little rainfall at a time.  A lot of these issues are simply because California is not used to getting actual rain.  What some folks called a downpour, was just rain.  A downpour is when you open your door and you see a wall of water.   ;)
We love rain especially after this long drought. The sound of it on the roof is beautiful, but you must live in another part of the world than I do. The last storm that came through our corner of the Bay Area did bring a wall of water that we watched in happy fascination until we discovered that it had brought down our 12-foot, @ 300 lb. cactus from our specimen garden (which we had already supported by strong stakes in anticipation of the storms)  :'( . We are still hoping it did not suffer the fate of Gatecon's tree. We are planning to get a landscaping crew here to winch it up as the root ball is still intact, but we fear the worse for the side that hit the ground and the "smaller," cacti it fell on.

So, I'm sticking to my definition of "waterfall."  :o

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 02:34:46 pm »
Torrential waterfalls?  Nope.  That was just rain.  ...  A downpour is when you open your door and you see a wall of water.   ;)
We love rain especially after this long drought. The sound of it on the roof is beautiful, but you must live in another part of the world than I do. The last storm that came through our corner of the Bay Area did bring a wall of water that we watched in happy fascination until we discovered that it had brought down our 12-foot, @ 300 lb. cactus from our specimen garden (which we had already supported by strong stakes in anticipation of the storms)  :'( . We are still hoping it did not suffer the fate of Gatecon's tree. We are planning to get a landscaping crew here to winch it up as the root ball is still intact, but we fear the worse for the side that hit the ground and the "smaller," cacti it fell on.

My local area did not see enough rain to loosen the soil for trees to fall.  The wind was enough that some trees that were in the process of dying split and fell.  I have 2 colleagues that just barely missed being squashed by a tree. 

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 03:14:16 pm »
Torrential waterfalls?  Nope.  That was just rain.  ...  A downpour is when you open your door and you see a wall of water.   ;)

My local area did not see enough rain to loosen the soil for trees to fall.  The wind was enough that some trees that were in the process of dying split and fell.  I have 2 colleagues that just barely missed being squashed by a tree.
It is said that the SF Bay Area is a hodgepodge of microclimates. Perhaps there is a future Rory's Cube story in all this.

PS have 2 of 3 photos for this month, but no story. Going to have to weigh my possibilities, hope for some magic or make tracks for the hills.

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2017, 12:38:37 am »
Holy Crumbs! I missed the deadline! Are we still playing? Any chance of a grace period? Wait... no one else posted, either. Maybe tomorrow?

Spikeycat2

• Dark Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 5
  • Plus+: Spikeycat2
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2017, 06:48:45 am »
Please. A grace period! Sorry I've been rather useless lately, been very laz... er busy. Getting ready for a trip to Aussie land. But I do intend to take part. I'd even like to have a go at the sheep thing at some point if no one objects to it being ridiculously overdue.

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2017, 10:45:42 am »
I definitely think with only a few people taking part we should scrap any kind of deadline and just add images to any of the dice combinations as and when we have time/get inspired. That said I already posted mine for the February combo so won't be adding anything else to this one myself.
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

Spikeycat2

• Dark Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 5
  • Plus+: Spikeycat2
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2017, 12:16:52 pm »
But still have new dice once a month? Which can be revisited at any time in the future? You were amazingly fast off the mark last time Richard. Impressed!

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 04, 2017, 12:49:36 pm »
But still have new dice once a month? Which can be revisited at any time in the future? You were amazingly fast off the mark last time Richard. Impressed!
Yes!

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2017, 12:06:19 am »
I don't mind scrapping the deadline.  It was suggested mainly to give folks that push to complete their photos.  That said, March's cubes are posted.

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2017, 11:20:07 pm »
Once Upon A Time...

On one of her backroad travels, our protagonist, she of the back-lit lambkin, made her first visit to the Mission San Miguel. Above the alter was a 3/4-sized statue of the saint in his soldier's attire -- a sword in one hand and the Scales of Judgement in the other.

Those scales are a reminder to all Catholics that, on Judgement Day, they better have gotten their acts together as St. Michael would be weighing their souls. If you are found wanting... well, there goes your eternity!

Being a nice, Catholic girl (I didn't say "good"), she quietly, but quickly, backed out of the church before Michael noticed her and found her... um... in need of remedial soul cleansing. But, before she left, she noticed something curious.

The Ancient Egyptians also had a scale-wielding, sacred being. In their case, it was Anubis, the Jackel-headed god, who weighed the deceased's heart against Maat's Feather of Truth. If the heart was weighed down by earthly sins, it would be thrown to Ammit, "The Devourer," and... yep... there goes his/her eternity. Mmmm... sounds familiar.

Even more curious, on either side of the mission's St. Michael were columns in the form of, and painted like, Ancient Egyptian ones. It left our gad-about girl wondering if the dark-robed friars who founded the mission were aware of the pagan symbolism... a wolf among the sheep, as it were (those sheep sure get around).

Feeling a growing need for a change of scenery, she made tracks (noticed how I got that in, huh? huh?) for a bird sanctuary (ok... this was several weeks later, but if it works for you, it works for me). There she met this lovely lady who begged her to watch as she sidled past some beautiful swans grazing on the banks of the Walden-esque pond. "Why," queried our gal, "do you need watching?" "Well," said the nice lady, "last time I was here, they chased me down the path and nearly into the water. My umbrella might help, but, just in case..." So, I watched and took photos, and hoped the swan would chase her... oops... gotta remember Michael and those scales.

Sigh... there has to be somewhere I... er... our heroine can have fun and not get into trouble. So, off she went to celebrate Mardi Gras in a cafe where it is Carnival all year long. The gold, purple, green and fuschia beads click happily every time the door opens,

Cajun music blares within the tiny shop, plates and cutlery levitate magically (how's that for slight of word?) as the patrons bang time with the music (and do their own levitating from the scores of hot sauces on hand), and, most importantly, the food is de-lish! The kind of trouble you can get into here is well worth it. If this food isn't magical, I... um... she doesn't know what is!

Crawfish Etouffee, "Super" Gumbo (aren't they all?) and the best beignets this side of New Orleans

Fried Green Tomato BLT w/ Roasted Rosemary Potatoes

So, stuffed to the gills, she went home to Dream of Scantrons & Keyholes.

T H E   E N D

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2017, 07:51:46 am »
Nicely done
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2017, 01:31:17 pm »
What Gate said.  I particularly liked the red color for the keywords in the story.    :)