Author Topic: Feb 2017 Rory's Picture Cubes  (Read 2653 times)

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
Feb 2017 Rory's Picture Cubes
« on: February 01, 2017, 11:45:28 am »
I'm guessing we are still moving forward this.  This is this months roll :

I rolled the dice, blindly pulled the dice into rows of 3, and took a photo of the top row. 

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
Re: Feb 2017 Rory's Picture Cubes
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2017, 02:02:54 pm »
I'll try again for this roll - really nothing presented itself for the last set
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2017, 02:12:20 pm »
In fact inspiration hit quite quickly this time...

On my new sugar free/healthier food/5 miles a day walking regime. Stepping onto the scales and awaiting the magic numbers....

Apologies for the low iPad camera quality

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2017, 02:48:52 pm »
Wow ... that was a quick first submission.  Hope the sugar free diet + 5 miles works out for you.  (May you become less of a man than you were before.  :o  Hm ... that doesn't quite sound right for some reason ...  ;) )

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: ninja12129
  • Plus+: Ninja12129
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2017, 09:50:37 pm »
Hmmm...this one is going to be tough!

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2017, 09:52:38 am »
I don't check in with MF daily, so did not know until today there was a new Rory's thread. Guess I'll know from now on.

I'm with Ninja. It is a weighty problem and will have to do a meditative walk hoping inspiration will magically hit me.

Gatecon - love your fast comeback to the cubes. Don quit processed sugar a year ago, despite his enormous sweet tooth. It has made an amazing difference in his metabolism and physique. Unfortunately, even though the only processed sugar I get is in an occasional soy healthbar I eat for lunch when I'm on the road (and a once-a-year birthday indulgence), being "sugar-free" for years has not helped me.  :'(  May you have better luck!
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2017, 08:18:14 am »
I didn't realise how hard it is to avoid sugar - they sneak it into even the most basic of foodstuffs. Trying to track down a sugar-free granola at the moment.

Doing ok with the walking though - up to 24 miles in the last 6 days.

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2017, 06:32:39 pm »
Still haven't been able to pin this theme down. Hrmphhh!  >:( :P

Speaking of sugar, I was reading (somewhere/sometime), that it's the added sugar that's the problem. Usually, when you see sugar contents, they don't differentiate between natural or added. The sugar industry has fought, tooth and nail, to avoid having "added" sugar labeled, as much as possible. Barring a labeling ban, they want sugar measured in g/mg/etc. and NOT in tsp. measurements. The reason, according to Big Sugar: people are too stupid to realize how much 10g are vs. 1 tsp. (Or whatever). Hence, they don't want people to actually be able to understand how much sugar is added. Food for though, pun intended ;)

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2017, 07:54:52 pm »
Still haven't been able to pin this theme down. Hrmphhh!  >:( :P

Speaking of sugar, I was reading (somewhere/sometime), that it's the added sugar that's the problem. Usually, when you see sugar contents, they don't differentiate between natural or added. The sugar industry has fought, tooth and nail, to avoid having "added" sugar labeled, as much as possible. Barring a labeling ban, they want sugar measured in g/mg/etc. and NOT in tsp. measurements. The reason, according to Big Sugar: people are too stupid to realize how much 10g are vs. 1 tsp. (Or whatever). Hence, they don't want people to actually be able to understand how much sugar is added. Food for though, pun intended ;)

To keep on topic... I'm also having trouble coming up with a story, but am finding it an enjoyable, creative exercise. It makes me go out of my comfort zone and look for photos in areas I normally would avoid.

As for sugar, the WHO says our daily intake, if I remember correctly, is around 20 to 25g. It takes nothing to get to 20-25g. US labels list sources of sugar under ingredients, but you have to learn those names because it is not always obvious. The label also shows how many grams of sugar are in a serving (so called serving sizes is another joke!). I have more trouble in Canada determining sugar (and other) content of prepared foods because it has only been recently that breakdowns are included on the packaging.

I have learned not to buy anything that has any sugar source included in the ingredient list as Don will not eat it. All (deliberate) sugars in our diet are gotten from fresh fruit (there is a whole debate on the pros and cons of fruit based sugars, but I am not going there) or when it is totally unavoidable, like in pure milk products. Or, since I cook a lot of Asian dishes, I use ketjap manis, a sweet, Indonesian soy sauce which Don just has to accept or not get fed.  :P  I'm not as strict in my diet as Don is, but I try.

I also avoid most, but not all, artificial sugars as I feel they are as bad as processed sugars - I have to have a touch of sucrolose in my smoothies. One artificial sweetener, xylitol, is poisonous for dogs. There are peanut butters that have recently added xylitol to bring the calorie count down. You know how much dogs love the stuff! Some owners have accidentally killed their pets because they have been using that brand forever, didn't notice it, or didn't know what it was and took it for granted it was still okay. If it does that, it has to be having some effect on our livers, don'tcha think?

End of sugar rant... for now  ;)

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2017, 09:22:05 pm »
TIL that ketjap sound like ketchup but is indeed NOT ketchup :P

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2017, 10:58:07 pm »
Today I learned what TIL means.  ::)

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 04:07:44 pm »

One of my favourite time killers, these days: https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 06:04:53 pm »

One of my favourite time killers, these days: https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/
TIL how to kill whatever time I have left in the day after reading Atlas Obscura and Quora. Drat you, Ninja!

BTW, the etymology of ketjap and ketchup are related though they taste nothing like each other, just as ketjap does not taste like soy sauce, but is referred to as Indonesian soy sauce.

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 08:20:28 pm »

TIL how to kill whatever time I have left in the day after reading Atlas Obscura and Quora. Drat you, Ninja!

BTW, the etymology of ketjap and ketchup are related though they taste nothing like each other, just as ketjap does not taste like soy sauce, but is referred to as Indonesian soy sauce.

Love Atlas Obscura but haven't heard of Quora. Will definitely have to check it out :)

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2017, 02:32:22 am »
Checking in. I am diligently working on getting a story and photos together. Translation: I don't know what the heck I'm doing, but I'm gonna do it, dag nab it! It has been a challenge to my creativity, or lack of it. How are you guys coming along?