Author Topic: Rory's Story Cubes, photo edition  (Read 3912 times)

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
Re: Rory's Story Cubes, photo edition
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2017, 10:48:14 pm »
I tried stitching the pics together but the few apps I have haven't worked the way I wanted them to. I also have to come up with a caption. Hmmmm....

Perfect story for those dice, but so sorry for the injury! Ouch!

Try this: http://bighugelabs.com/mosaic.php

I used to use it for my monthly mosaic when I was doing the 365 project, but you can use as many or as few tiles as you want. Make sure to create a blank space so you can add text using another photo editing program.
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

的f you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2017, 11:22:48 pm »
*ahem* There are 2 flocks of sheep on the North side of 92 as you drive from 680 to 580.  At least I think there are 2 since I see them at points along 92.  They could just be 1 big flock that split into 2 though.  The only question is whether or not they are out there when you drive by.  Can you stop in?  Probably not.  Stopping in to photograph sheep is what petting zoos are for. ;)

Confused - 680/580 area major concrete sprawl. As far as I know, 92 goes from Hayward to Half Moon Bay. Clarification, please. (Google coordinates even better  ^-^ ).

And of course I'd confuse the two highways.  84 goes from 680 to 580.  I'm fairly certain it was along 84 that I saw them.  Now that you have me thinking I have early onset of dementia, I'll have to wonder if I didn't see them along Vasco road since the Wind farm is on Vasco.  It doesn't help that I don't go on 84 unless I'm also heading up Vasco ...

I'm on Vasco fairly often and have never seen sheep - llamas and horses, but no sheep. Darn! Perhaps they were hiding behind this hill:

(old, iPhone5 photo)

的f you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
« Reply #32 on: January 09, 2017, 02:18:38 pm »
It is possible.  I'll have to get a shot next time I go through.  I usually bleat at them when telling the dogs there are sheep off to the left/right. 

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 13, 2017, 01:48:51 am »
It's a great idea! Don't really mind how we go about it. Whether we make a picture story using several of them or just use one for inspiration. Maybe we need our resident professional photographer and administrator to provide us with some input.

Hey, if you mean Gatecon, he's not the only pro! For the first time, I recently had one of my photos used by a ballet company. Didn't get paid as it was more of a trade (access to them in return for them having rights to any of my photos), but think that counts. (ok, am bragging w red face, but had to get that in).

It's a great idea! Don't really mind how we go about it. Whether we make a picture story using several of them or just use one for inspiration. Maybe we need our resident professional photographer and administrator to provide us with some input.

Hey, if you mean Gatecon, he's not the only pro! For the first time, I recently had one of my photos used by a ballet company. Didn't get paid as it was more of a trade (access to them in return for them having rights to any of my photos), but think that counts. (ok, am bragging w red face, but had to get that in).

Not a sheep, nor an arrow, nor a sad face, but this is the photo I was talking about before. I was going to post it on the Random Photo thread, but thought this more logical, in my sorta twisted logic, that is.

Spikeycat2

• Dark Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 5
  • Plus+: Spikeycat2
« Reply #34 on: January 13, 2017, 06:24:22 am »
That's amazing! You have a real talent. Beautiful!

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2017, 12:19:31 pm »
I agree with Spikeycat. 

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 16, 2017, 10:12:42 am »
Thank you! A whole lot was pure luck and many hours of practice in Lightroom and Photoshop. i'm still not sure how I managed it as none of my other photos are a fraction as good.

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2017, 12:17:39 am »
Been meaning to ask - when is the deadline for story/pics? Is it Jan 31st or Feb 3rd?

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2017, 01:47:34 pm »
Good question.  Should we give everyone until 2/3 for January's challenge?  I can roll something up on 2/1 for Feb's challenge.  I could see giving folks the Feb one until 3/3 as well.  March and April should go to their last Friday.  May looks like it would bleed a bit into June.  Unless folks want to stick to strict calendar end dates?

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2017, 01:49:51 pm »
I tried stitching the pics together but the few apps I have haven't worked the way I wanted them to. I also have to come up with a caption. Hmmmm....

Perfect story for those dice, but so sorry for the injury! Ouch!

Try this: http://bighugelabs.com/mosaic.php

I used to use it for my monthly mosaic when I was doing the 365 project, but you can use as many or as few tiles as you want. Make sure to create a blank space so you can add text using another photo editing program.

Ninja, did you even get a chance to through the mosaic together?  I may still have an iOS app that could put the 3 pictures together.  Have to find it though.  I think it was called "frames" or "collage". 

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2017, 01:53:11 pm »

I'm not quite happy with this long shot of sheep.

I'll see if I find any other compositions that work for me this month.

I was going to ask if this a "where's Waldo" moment until I blew up the photo. LOL! I'd never expect a flock **and** an Australian Shepherd near that building. Where is this? (you knew I was going to ask, didn't you?
I seem to have missed a couple of posts in between ... any I don't seem to be finding the quote button quite as well as I should ...   :o :-X

Anyway, this is a photo on the Hi Tech Campus in Eindhoven, The Netherlands.  Due to the amount of trees on the campus, lots of trees planted in a grid pattern, it is hard to get mowers through the area.  They have a flock of sheep on the campus to perform lawn maintenance.  The Dutch are into more local solutions.  The flock take care of the lawn and some of them *ahem* move on in the circle of life with the local butcher. 

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 18, 2017, 01:33:22 am »

I'm not quite happy with this long shot of sheep.

I'll see if I find any other compositions that work for me this month.

I was going to ask if this a "where's Waldo" moment until I blew up the photo. LOL! I'd never expect a flock **and** an Australian Shepherd near that building. Where is this? (you knew I was going to ask, didn't you?
I seem to have missed a couple of posts in between ... any I don't seem to be finding the quote button quite as well as I should ...   :o :-X

Anyway, this is a photo on the Hi Tech Campus in Eindhoven, The Netherlands.  Due to the amount of trees on the campus, lots of trees planted in a grid pattern, it is hard to get mowers through the area.  They have a flock of sheep on the campus to perform lawn maintenance.  The Dutch are into more local solutions.  The flock take care of the lawn and some of them *ahem* move on in the circle of life with the local butcher.
You really should lay off the fermented sheep's milk  ::) :o

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 20, 2017, 01:22:42 pm »
Once upon a time there was a girl who would never follow map directions. If her GPS told her to turn right, her nose twitched left and, of course, you always should follow your nose.

Ohforget this! The girl is me and the time was a weekend in mid-January. A week ago, Friday the 13th to be exact, I drove down to San Simeon, California to join my photo club to shooum photograph elephant seals.

I壇 done the scenic drive down the coast before and knew it would take me past cattle and horse ranches, but absolutely, positively no sheep which was a pity because I just HAD to find some sheep to shooer photograph.

At the start of the 努ilderness stretch of California State Highway 1 there was a bright yellow, LED sign. 迭ock slide and 鏑ucia flashed on my retina, but my nose twitched and the eye saw no more. Besides, I logic-a-zied, whatever debris there was would be cleaned up by the time I got to this town of Lucia, wherever that was.

The drive down was wondrous, as always. The day was crisp and cool with clear blue skies and the Sea of Diamonds that is the Pacific Ocean. Although the tourists were out in numbers, I could still do my Mario Andretti imitation even if I was driving an SUV (especially loved zipping past a low slung, red super sports car; okay they were gawking at the scenery while I was more into the driving).

Crews were out cleaning up numerous mud and rock slides caused by the previous week痴 tremendous rain storms, but none blocked the road. Fifty miles in and just 40 miles from San Simeon, I entered the town of Lucia -- a small convenience store, a tiny caf and some rental cabins and a single rest room for the traveler in need. I thought it odd how many cars were pulled over to the side of the road and what a very looong line there was outside the WC. And, the people! They were everywhere! 敵ee, I thought, 鍍his place is awfully popular for having next to nothing.

I continued on through, finding myself on a lovely, tree-shaded stretch of highway thinking I had less than an hour to my final destination. And, then it happened. My one-ness with sea, sky and forest was shattered by a makeshift barrier and a battered sign: 迭oad closed, rockslide, no entry, followed by a small, crooked arrow pointing toward a gully (kick myself for not taking a pic!).

Mmmmm, I thought, maybe I can find some wonderful, backroad through Big Sur country, an added adventure to my trip. I made my way back to the tiny caf and asked what secret road the locals might direct me to.

But, no :( .The only way to San Simeon was to retrace the 50 miles and then some, back into civilization, traffic and the world of major highways. Drat!

And, of course, no sheep.

Jump forward to Sunday afternoon. After a fabulous weekend with friends, both human and otherwise, I headed back to the San Francisco Bay Area. Although the coast road was still blocked, I was determined to stay off the main freeways. So, when the green and white arrow pointed to Highway 101, my nose twitched and I 殿ccidentally missed the entrance.

I found myself on a side road that went on and on and on, never sure where it was taking me other than in a generally northern direction. It took me past cattle ranches and horses in paddocks, and rolling hills and OMG! SHEEP!!!

There, in a small field, stood 3 rams and 10 or 12 ewes. They were a bit far and scattered for any good photos, but that didn稚 matter. They were sheep!

Small part of the flock

Head Honcho

Then came the jackpot! Not 200 yards further down the road, there was a small enclosure filled with ewes and lambkins! In order to take any pictures, I would have to trespass, but what痴 a little trespassing when there were sheep to shooah photograph?!

Mommies & Babies

Watchya Lookin' At?

The moral of the story always follow your nose, even if it adds 300 backroad miles to your trip (719 miles instead of what should have been 418), because you never know where you will find what you are looking for and some things you weren稚.

Postscript: Just prior to starting on this trip, while watching a video workshop online, a pro photographer said that an adventure is when something goes wrong and what you do to turn it into something positive. Can稚 wait for my next adventure!

Sheep Herder Lane, San Miguel, California
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 01:26:51 pm by Selkii »

Gatecon

• 鉄ir Pundemonium
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #43 on: January 20, 2017, 02:45:48 pm »
A great telling of the adventure, and I love the backlit lamb photo
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man痴 Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 20, 2017, 05:23:33 pm »
What Gate said. I do like that quote on what constitutes an adventure.  Reminds me of some travel blogger saying that his best stories are about trips that did not go as planned.