Author Topic: Rory's Story Cubes, photo edition  (Read 3911 times)

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
Re: Rory's Story Cubes, photo edition
« Reply #15 on: January 05, 2017, 04:50:35 pm »
Spikey is right though, not so many sheep on show over here this time of year
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

SueSue530

• “Cat Herder”
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: SueSue530
  • Plus+: SueSue530
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2017, 09:45:18 am »
Just reading this......nearest I have to a sheep is a faux sheepskin throw......
Maybe I'll find some inspiration in the next few weeks.....
So....this is an illustrated story theme?
Plus ID/Game Center ID: SueSue530

Playing DragonVale World.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2017, 11:35:42 am »
It is whatever we want it to be.   ;D

I was hunting through the house for one of old chew toys that dogs had that was vaguely sheep shaped.  It must have been thrown out already.  My thoughts were to get a pic of it, ripped apart, in the trash can. 

"Unhappy that the sheep toy is shot."  Would have been my submission.

Gate could take a shot of his sheepish grin as his submission.

Otherwise, I was looking for a cloud that gives the impression of a sheep or an arrow.  Maybe find the shot of the lone sheep that was left behind by the flock.  (Sheep flock right?  They don't herd.) Of course, I recall seeing sheep on my way up to Livermore a couple weeks ago.  I could see if I can get a shot the next time I drive by. 

Basically, rather than trying to come up with a word for the month and scramble to photograph something that matches it, I thought maybe we just roll the dice and let folks pick something that represents one or more of the dice.  The "story" concept came up simply because I'm also using the cubes to force myself to write something each month.  While getting an illustrated story theme would be more satisfying (to me personally), it gets taxing to do it each month.  Hence, the grab a photo that would represent one or more of the dice.  This way, folks can decide for themselves how much of a challenge they want to go for without it becoming too overwhelming. 

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2017, 12:05:00 pm »
In one of those creativity courses I took recently, the teacher suggested the student choose a restrictive theme and stick to it for a set period of time. I got the impression, though, that one not take everything literally. For instance, shooting only things that are blue. We should begin to notice more blue in our lives in unexpected forms, and not only in relation to its hue. I decided to look for letters of the alphabet in nature (occurred to me because of a word game I used to play). Amazed how well it worked just looking out the window from my desk. The "letters" I saw in those few square feet made me more aware of pleasing, photographable shapes I'd missed before.

Based on this, we should be seeing a lot of sheep-related stuff... and arrows. Hopefully, not too many frowns.
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2017, 12:17:57 pm »
I agree with Wilyone. The way I see it, the dice are only a means of getting our imagination going. What we do with it is up to us and should be enjoyable, at the same time pushing us to write and/or photograph in a set time frame (this month) instead of saying, "one of these days..." I, for one, am an expert procrastinator even with things I know I would love to do or accomplish.

BTW, this has sparked DH and he says he wants to participate. He's even been researching nearby sheep farms. So far, none allow visitors, but he keeps trying (he's taking the literal route).

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: ninja12129
  • Plus+: Ninja12129
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2017, 12:41:09 pm »
I have the perfect pics for this set of dice ;D. The only thing is, it involves a cooked lamb. Not sure if anyone want sot see that. But the "sad face" and "arrow" are also relevant. Let me know ;)

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2017, 01:12:25 pm »
I have the perfect pics for this set of dice ;D. The only thing is, it involves a cooked lamb. Not sure if anyone want sot see that. But the "sad face" and "arrow" are also relevant. Let me know ;)

Initially,   :-\ , but then I thought how much I love Mongolian pepper lamb. I Have to philosophically separate the before when eating the after.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 06, 2017, 02:46:50 pm »
*ahem* There are 2 flocks of sheep on the North side of 92 as you drive from 680 to 580.  At least I think there are 2 since I see them at points along 92.  They could just be 1 big flock that split into 2 though.  The only question is whether or not they are out there when you drive by.  Can you stop in?  Probably not.  Stopping in to photograph sheep is what petting zoos are for. ;)

The first time I prepared lamb, it was crispy crittered.  You could say, that folks were unhappy with my first shot of grilled rack of lamb.  That said, the need for cognitive dissidence to distinguish between pet animals and food animals can get hard at times.  I'll just leave it at that. 

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2017, 03:54:25 pm »
*ahem* There are 2 flocks of sheep on the North side of 92 as you drive from 680 to 580.  At least I think there are 2 since I see them at points along 92.  They could just be 1 big flock that split into 2 though.  The only question is whether or not they are out there when you drive by.  Can you stop in?  Probably not.  Stopping in to photograph sheep is what petting zoos are for. ;)

Confused - 680/580 area major concrete sprawl. As far as I know, 92 goes from Hayward to Half Moon Bay. Clarification, please. (Google coordinates even better  ^-^ ).

There are two sheep farms in Petaluma. One has seasonal open houses. Unfortunately, the earliest schedule is in March. Thinking of staking out fields with long lens  ;) . Of course, there is always the Tilden Park petting zoo (I do love those goats!).

This hunt (no, not that kind of hunt, Ninja!) is adding to my list of places to check out on one of my backroad jaunts.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 06, 2017, 05:45:39 pm »

Confused - 680/580 area major concrete sprawl. As far as I know, 92 goes from Hayward to Half Moon Bay. Clarification, please. (Google coordinates even better  ^-^ ).

And of course I'd confuse the two highways.  84 goes from 680 to 580.  I'm fairly certain it was along 84 that I saw them.  Now that you have me thinking I have early onset of dementia, I'll have to wonder if I didn't see them along Vasco road since the Wind farm is on Vasco.  It doesn't help that I don't go on 84 unless I'm also heading up Vasco ...

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 06, 2017, 06:26:56 pm »

I'm not quite happy with this long shot of sheep.

I'll see if I find any other compositions that work for me this month.

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 06, 2017, 08:55:12 pm »
I should've clarified: the arrow and sad face relate to my son and not the lamb. But, the three of them happened at the same time. They're not related to the lamb directly. I'll post the pics in a few mins.

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 06, 2017, 09:54:00 pm »
Ok. Here goes:

2 years ago, at Easter, we got the lambs ready for the feast:

To cook them, we, obviously, need spits:

Naturally, that sharp pointy end is like a magnet, to kids:
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 09:55:55 pm by Ninja12129 »

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 06, 2017, 09:57:23 pm »
I tried stitching the pics together but the few apps I have haven't worked the way I wanted them to. I also have to come up with a caption. Hmmmm....

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 06, 2017, 10:42:54 pm »

I'm not quite happy with this long shot of sheep.

I'll see if I find any other compositions that work for me this month.

I was going to ask if this a "where's Waldo" moment until I blew up the photo. LOL! I'd never expect a flock **and** an Australian Shepherd near that building. Where is this? (you knew I was going to ask, didn't you?