Author Topic: iTunes Link Maker -- search App Store from the web  (Read 8669 times)

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
iTunes Link Maker -- search App Store from the web
« on: December 30, 2011, 03:49:11 pm »
Just a helpful tip, hope you find it as useful as I have. :)

iTunes Link Maker: http://itunes.apple.com/linkmaker/

The iTunes Link Maker is an Apple website whose main purpose is to provide the official links for content from the iTunes Store, iOS App Store, and Mac App Store, so that you can link directly to specific items. For example, if you want to do a forum post about an iOS game but don't have the link, this is where you'd go to get it.

But the site also serves as a web-based interface for the stores, meaning you can look at apps and test drive music from even a Windows computer with no iTunes installed. You can't make purchases there, but it's good for getting the info, and I like that I can finally see that info in nice large text (unlike the tiny tiny text in iTunes ;)). It also lets you view items as they appear in other countries' iTunes/App Stores.

One especially nice thing about it is that you can see the current price for something that you already have. (If you look at the App Store on your iDevice, it won't show the price, it just gives a button to download or update, or a grayed out "installed" button.)

To use the iTunes Link Maker, just enter your keyword, select the desired country, and media type. The media type defaults to Music rather than All Results, so remember to switch to iOS Apps or whatever it is you're looking for.

In the search results, clicking a link pops up a box with the link and HTML code you can copy. If you want to go directly to the page (rather than getting the URL or HTML for it), middle-click to open it in a tab. If your browser doesn't open tabs from middle clicks,  try right- or control-clicking to bring up the contextual menu and select "Open link in..." whatever you choose (this tab, new tab, new window).

Once you are on the page for a specific item, you can view the info and click through to see related content. Some things don't work, like viewing the iTunes artist/developer page will only try to open iTunes and view it there, not in the web interface. Also, to sample music, it seems to take a minute or two to load the internal music player before it will work.

chance681

• “A Bonne Chance”
    • View Profile
    • S.H.A.R.E.
  • Device: iPhone 6 Plus
  • Plus+: chance681
Re: iTunes Link Maker -- search App Store from the web
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2011, 08:35:00 pm »
Cool, thanks for sharing...this is one of my favorites apps as a test

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/color-photo-edit-foto-editor/id458968694?mt=8&uo=4

chance681

• “A Bonne Chance”
    • View Profile
    • S.H.A.R.E.
  • Device: iPhone 6 Plus
  • Plus+: chance681
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 02:20:28 pm »
Wanted to bring this back up...I am hoping I can find one for Android games too...

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 10:03:06 pm »
I guess it depends on what marketplace you're using. The Amazon one is of course on the web, and you can use the "share by email" button to display the shortened URL (you don't have to send the email, just copy and paste the URL displayed). You can also use Google Play's Android Apps section, but I don't see a way to get a short URL, you just have to copy it from the location bar and figure out what crap at the end to cut off.

taeles

• “Sir Romphs-a-lot”
  • The Adults
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: taeles
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 10:35:01 pm »
iPads built in browser google search helps us along too. On google search I typed "iTunes my little monster", first result was my target. Instead of tapping on it I held my finger down on the link till the option to copy it popped up. I choose copy and when I paste it here it shows as below:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/my-little-monster/id496339841?mt=8

:)