Author Topic: Star Trek Beyond  (Read 1043 times)

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
Star Trek Beyond
« on: August 01, 2016, 09:33:02 am »
Trailer just in case. 

Went to see it a couple weekends ago.  Theater had recliners ... very nice.  The movie was ... worth the morning matinee price.  It was paced a little fast and a little furious as well.  That is not necessarily a bad thing either.  A review I had read for the movie was that it was 3 years into a 5 year mission to find a plot.  I would not disagree with that review.  It felt more like a movie version of the episode of the week.  With a lot of character development though, which is not necessarily a bad thing.  Would I have watched it anyway?  Yes.  It was a fun summer film.

What was the movie about? 
Spoiler for Hiden:
Two Star Fleet captains that have lost their way.  One took the path of vengeance upon a Federation that had
"forgotten" about him.  The other found their way fighting against said captain.

Now, if you had access to all of Star Fleet's communiques, wouldn't you have noticed that
a) The Federation had no idea you were in a nebula that you weren't supposed to be in.
b) The Federation kind of declared you and your crew heroes for going out into the unknown.
c) You could have told the Federation where to find you since you were ease dropping upon the communications (of course, you probably already declared your vendetta against the Federation at this point so why change courses)
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:26:39 am by ukhippo »

ukhippo

• View Profile
  • Device: iPad 3
  • Game Center: ukhippo
  • Plus+: ukhippo
Re: Star Trek Beyond
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016, 10:23:52 am »
I'm seeing this tomorrow :D
« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 10:26:55 am by ukhippo »
ukhippo - Missing the super-duper Supernauts🙁
Currently playing Farm Away! and Build Away!

On hiatus: Pixel People and Star Wars Tiny Death Star
No longer playing: The Tribez, My Singing Monsters, Happy Street, Puzzle Craft

ukhippo

• View Profile
  • Device: iPad 3
  • Game Center: ukhippo
  • Plus+: ukhippo
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 04:08:22 am »
I moreorless agree with wilyone. It's a good bit of entertainment that's worth watching (especially on a dreary miserable day like we had yesterday).

I slightly disagree with the spoiler
Spoiler for Hiden:
We don't know Krall's full timeline. All we know is:
  • as Edison he was a military man who served (presumably with distinction) in the military organisation that got disbanded in the setting up of Starfleet
  • Starfleet's ideals were not his
  • his ship (USS Franklin) crash landed on the planet and they were never rescued
  • the combination of the above fuelled his resentment/hatred towards Starfleet
  • the alien life-extension technology turned him into Krall
We don't know when he came to be in his leadership position of the planet, but we can assume by then he was definitely Krall and not Edison.
How de-humanising was the life-extension technology? Given the physical changes, it's likely there were mental changes as well.
As Krall, given the changes, would he care anymore about Edison? Nothing in the film suggested he did.
By the time Starfleet communications were being intercepted, would they be about some long lost starship and crew who'd died of old age if they'd survived? After all Scott, Uhura, et al. learned about USS Franklin and Edison at the Starfleet Academy, presumably in a Starfleet history lesson.
Given the volume of communication, you wouldn't personally be listening into each and every one anyway - you'd be using data-mining which would be looking for specific key things.

For me the reveal of who Krall was, made Jaylah's hiding of her "home" non-sensical. Krall et al would know where it was, and so it suddenly "disappearing" would immediately be suspicious.

The final Kirk vs Krall could have been better written too. I could forgive Kirk catching up with Krall too quickly, but then talking to Krall whilst holding a phaser??? Surely you'd want to disarm Krall of the deadliest weapon ever first by stunning him. A few minor tweaks would have made this more believable.
ukhippo - Missing the super-duper Supernauts🙁
Currently playing Farm Away! and Build Away!

On hiatus: Pixel People and Star Wars Tiny Death Star
No longer playing: The Tribez, My Singing Monsters, Happy Street, Puzzle Craft

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2016, 12:16:50 pm »
Muahaha ... discussion inside spoiler tags because ... spoilers.  ;)

Spoiler for Hiden:
We don't know when he came to be in his leadership position of the planet, but we can assume by then he was definitely Krall and not Edison.
How de-humanising was the life-extension technology? Given the physical changes, it's likely there were mental changes as well.
As Krall, given the changes, would he care anymore about Edison? Nothing in the film suggested he did.
He has an easy to miss line where he greets the sight of the Franklin with "Hello my old friend."  It would suggest that Edison and Krall are interchangeable labels.  That the life extension technology has you take on the physical characteristics of those whose life you drained is clear.  If there were supposed to be mental changes to make you think more like the species whose life force you stole, he should have developed a lot more compassion due to absorbing more Federation folks towards the end.  He drained 4? crew members?  There were 2 bodies in the wreckage aboard the Franklin right?   

As for the subspace communication link, Krall was data mining for the artifact.  He could have data mined for mention of him as well.  After all, he listened to all of Kirk's Captian's Log entries.  He also knew enough to modify the co-ordinates that Uhura and Sulu sent so that Yorktown would be undefended.  Although, given swarm ships tactics vs the Enterprise, I'm not sure that you really needed to draw the other ships away.  You could have just sliced the nacelles off each ship with minimal losses.  From a psychological warfare perspective, it would be more devastating for Star Fleet to come back to the destruction of Yorktown.  Then again, having the defending ships taken out with Yorktown should be a stronger blow no?  After all, Yorktown's communications were not being jammed so the rest of Star Fleet would know what attacked them.  Having other ships to confirm the reports would not matter. 

I do agree somewhat that if Krall wanted to find the Franklin, he knew where to look.  Holo grid disguise or no.  I believe that he did not care to find the Franklin anymore since it was not capable of changing the status quo on the planet.  There was no way for the ship to get off the ground anyway.  The free fall should have resulted in a crashed ship if it weren't for plot physics.  Besides, Krall was not looking for Jaylah.  She was beneath his notice.  To me it seemed that his 2nd in command recognized her as his own loose end.  She hid the Franklin to keep it "safe" from the other scavengers in the area.  Since she avoided Krall's base of operations as well as his men, there was no reason for Krall's forces to seek her out.

I do agree that the final fight could have been better written.  Stun first, talk later would be more logical and lead to an anti-climatic ending.  I'm just shocked that Star Fleet didn't synthesize more magic blood from the 2nd movie and stock it on all ships to bring crew members back to life.   ::)