Author Topic: Balancing and difficulty issues (or how to make pirate power more enjoyable)  (Read 9587 times)

Godzi Lab

• godzilab
    • View Profile
I read a lot of different comments about people being frustrated but would like to get more info about this. So far this is what I have collected, but would like to get more input and details from you:
- The difficulty of the game is too hard. If you encounter some difficulty where you feel you are blocked, please tell us which level felt too hard and how many days you spent on it.
- The grinding is too steep, it became too slow to progress. Do you have clear examples of what is too steep (which boat part, which hero, how much it costs and how much you have?)?
- Game is too hard to understand. Which part is or has been hard to understand (Upgrade/Evolve? Fusion?  Effects of the weapon or skills on the battles? etc)

If you could detail your frustration or what you would like to improve in the game that would help us better balance it and find solutions to keep you enjoying the game.  If you can please give precise details that would help us pinpoint the exact problem. Everybody has a different play style and understanding of the game, so the more info we can get the more we can understand your exact problem. And if you have solutions, that would be even better.

Please stay positive, this is to improve the game, not to bash it and plus I don't want this thread to become a huge rant and read only complaints. Thanks for your help in making Pirate Power a better game

rmjf1111

• Noble
    • View Profile
  • Android username: rosie111@msn.com
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: NanaBanana:) 16
For me, more explanation on the different aspects of the game and how it all works together.  I go to the Pirate Power Wiki, but there is little info there as yet on a lot of topics. 

For example, at present, I have new heros: 
1.  Ashtasia--there is an extra 20% coin for any battle where she is involved.  I do not see that anywhere in the info...tip came from Myzou.

2.  Wulf--sabotage, Ash--Dark strike, Jasmine--weakness, Luna--Assasinate -- what exactly does the strength mean?  What effect does that strength have on the opponent?  I am trying to watch and see what happens when I use the strength during a battle, but it is not always clear what is happening, as there are several things going on at the same time.  Also for heroes, can they level up a star with just potions, or does it have to be medals?

3.  Is the cap on fixing the boats of friends at 4 a day?  The pop-up indicates more friends equals more pearls, but I have not found that to be true so far.

4.  In the beginning, I did not use up my battles each day, so the "maxed" amount in the upper right continued to grow.  One day last week, I discovered the strategy of doing repeated fights to earn medals and wood after seeing the "get medals" pop up under a hero name.  That day, I used up all my battles available and now I am down to the usual five.  I am finding the max at 5 hampering unless a person is able to go in several times a day when the energy restocks and batttle.  For those working, etc., it is not possible to be inside the game several times a day.  This limits the amount of progress that can be made.  Even leveling up does not help this except for once a day.  Some consideration to making more battles available would allow for more progress.

5.  I have been trying to level up my boats equally as I would progress, so most of my boats are close to 2500-3000.  Most of my heros are level 16-19 with a few being 2-star and 3-star.  I am now into my third month and have never reached the end of the crusade.  Just last night, I finally opened the third chest.  I know adjustments have been made for this and in the arena, but not sure if this is to be expected.  I have finally in the last 2 weeks made it to tier 5 in the arena twice and was able to purchase one chest with keys last week for the firs time.  Again, I do not know if this is considered normal progress. 

6.  For the daily event, I can usually get to level 3-4, sometimes this past week to 6-7, but that is tops.  Between the daily event and the arena, it is hard to obtain parts to craft the higher-level boat parts.  Also in the beginning, I did not realize for example how much wood would be required and that I should be buying it at any opportunity.  Now I do so.  For the most part, in the present system, I know that it will be weeks before I will be able to craft advanced boat parts, so I opt for the other choice with the supplies I can earn during battles and from Mr. Wing.

7.  Knowing the rotation of daily and weekly events would be helpful when trying to set goals for accumulating to craft boat parts.  For example, I cannot craft the next level for the Giant Knight Nose+.  When will The Giant Knight return again, so that I can earn Giant Knight wood pieces.

8.  Much of what I have come to understand about the game came from reading and re-reading and making notes even from posts on this forum.  For example, the issue of fusion.  Once I knew that I needed a 4-star part before I could fuse, I knew what to look for after I reached that level. 

I will keep thinking as I play for anything else that might be helpful :-)  I am just now starting to feel like I have somewhat of an idea each day how to set a goal and then how to reach it, in order to make progress in the game.  I would say the most frustrating thing for me is losing battles, and sometimes being pulverized  :D, and not knowing why or what I can do in order to win the next time.  Usually, I just start a thread and hope someone answers :-).

Rose Marie
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 02:38:47 pm by rmjf1111 »
H.S./P.P.--Ipad/NanaBanana:) 16 and Kindle/Tatiani Way -- Love my new bracelet!

rpamuk

• Noble
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: rpamuk
Let me start by saying THANK YOU, Godzilab. I love this game.

I'm not much into fighting games, so when Pirate Power was announced on the HS forum, I didn't read past the first sentence. Only the HS rewards made me want to try it, and guess what? Now I'm addicted to PP, and hardly get enough spare time to play HS anymore.

That said, there are a few things I think can be improved.

1. How to/guides: We need lots of guides on a lot of things. Fusion for example. I could've never figured it myself unless a helpful member here explained the 4 star restriction clearly. Even understanding what that special power mana accumulation thingy at the left bottom corner was took some time.

Maybe if you stepped through a fight and a level like many games do, it'd be easier. Or maybe have a walkthrough video somewhere.

2. Difficulty: The amount of resources needed to evolve are on the heavier side. It can be balanced some more. A boat hull taking 400 wood to level to 4 star is hard, and to get six boats to 5 star at 1000 wood each is far too much I think.

3. Fusion gems: I'm at level 27 with 6 boats, the highest being at 3000 and lowest at 1500. At that power level, it is impossible for me to get past level 5 of the fusion gem battles. That is a very slow progression. Although I don't want it to be super easy, it could balanced a bit more I think.

4. Cap on daily fights: This is a mental satisfaction thing. There is an expectation that as my level goes up, there be an increasing in caps, I earn myself more chances or something. I understand this can't be increased with every level, but maybe at least increase by 1 per 5 levels, or even 10. It'll be something we can look forward to.

5. Guides on crusades/arena etc: I have not tried a crusade or arena because I think I won't understand what I'm doing. Once again, a simple walk-through could help.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it here.

Once again, thanks Godzilab for this lovely game and thank you for always listening. With Pirate Power, you've got a winner on your hands for sure.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 03:40:32 pm by rpamuk »

rpamuk

• Noble
    • View Profile
Wanted to add one more point:

Upgrade of Pirate HQ: The prices for upgrades are high but bearable in the lower stages, but it seems to spike upward too fast. For example, it cost me 50000 for level 4->5. Level 5->6 is 100000. That's a huge spike.

What's worse is I have to keep upgrading my vault to be able to accrue the amount. My vault is now at 60000 capacity, so it won't suffice. The upgrade cost for vault to next level will be 50000. So my effective outlay for level 6 HQ is 150000.

It takes a whole lot of gameplay to make that progress happen and it might feel restrictive to many players.

I have to say though- the new dice game has helped the coin situation much. Thank you!

misskitcate

• Tailor
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Hamsher14
Ahh, I love this thread already, thank you!
Pooling together stuffs with the hubby, you have two super addicts here (I also came from HS, love PP way too much now).
Sorry if this list is super long/disorganized:

1. Prisma/Blackbeard/Alda Fusion Gems - most you can get is 6 per week, even with beating them completely with all 8 battles. Could we get more battles to try to get more gems? Some of the upgrades cost 10 gems alone, so you get a bit stuck waiting for them to come back each week to evolve multiple parts.

(1. Part 2): Can more battles be added to Skeletus, Voodoo, Alda, Prisma, and Blackbeard? Fly through all 8 too quickly now and would love more of a challenge/ more reward possibilities (this is just me being greedy though, or trying to ease some of the "grind" when you're a higher level). Or let us play the 8th battle over and over - that works for me! Lol

2. Weekly rewards - would like to see an increase over time instead of same bonuses weekly whether you’re on week 1 or week 10.
(Maybe even more VIP levels?) Love rpamuk's idea about increase in energy with level increase.

3. Relic leaves and Bugonaut Claws - too many needed for how long it takes to get them, especially when it comes to updating your bank or gardener house. With the Bugonauts, you have to hope to get the quest and then pray for the relic after beating them.

4. Final crusade chest (this is more of a question) -  what determines the money you’ll get in the final gold chest? Have gotten as low as 5k and up to 14k - with and without spinning at all to get there (have finished crusade ~30 times). Can we see a change up in some of the Crusade "rewards"? Good place to input more fusion gems possibly? Haha

5. Arena - any extra ways to get arena stones and keys? Even getting to T1 and Top 8 several times in a row, doesn't seem like I ever have enough of either. The arena keys/chests broke my heart when I finally got Spartacus in one, but it was only 5 medals. So I have to be lucky enough to get a second chest with his medals.

**Arena, part 2! More players now worldwide, any way to increase the winners "circle"? Only 1-8 get the top medal prizes, would love to see that a bit extended now with how many players have joined. Especially when some players are getting scores that don't even seem possible (they'll be around 130k after the first or second day, while everyone else is only around 30-40k). Top 10? Top 20? Let's go crazy!

6. “Time” issues - Reset is at 8 pm EST, I would do blessings shortly after. Blessings are supposed to last 4 hours, mine expire around 11:40 pm (only 3 hours, 40 minutes after reset (impossible for 4 hours to pass)). Not a huge deal, but noticed some wonky time passings with Peep while waiting for things to grow to sell to him too (ie. should have 30 minute gap between mango's to grow and Peep expiring. Peep's offer disappears 5 minutes before mango finishes).

7. Sometimes events will have a random LEAP in difficulty. For this week with the Giant Knight, I cruised through 1-14 without a sweat. I got to 15 and can barely make a dent in the shield before I'm literally slaughtered. Wondering if the first 14 were a fluke or was the jump from 14 to 15 that steep? :p

8. Wish we could see future parts before crafting. I may have a bit of regret on the hull I went 5 stars with first, and am now struggling to make the other hull in the same group 5 stars instead for my main boat (especially with how much blue wood was needed, the pain is real).

9. As much as my bank account will weep... More special chests and new characters! I can't wait to see any new stuff that comes out, that Viking icon and the cloudy areas are still taunting me. I am saving boat spots just for the possibility of new things being released. I'm at the max HQ and can only have 8 boats total.

Keep up the awesome work with this game!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2016, 07:06:41 pm by misskitcate »

rpamuk

• Noble
    • View Profile
One final (I hope) thing came to mind:

The blessings - Since we get one blessing card every 24 hours, the super short duration for which they stay active feels like a letdown. Especially since we only get 5 fights in a row, and it takes close to 2 hours to replenish those 5 fights. So, to make most use of the blessings, we need to come back 3 times in those 4 hours.

This (coming back 3 times in 4 hours or staying with the game for 4 hours straight) doesn't happen in real life. People play and go do their work, come back again a while later only to find the blessings expired. From which comes the feeling--blessings are not of much use anyway :(

Godzi Lab

• godzilab
    • View Profile

The blessings - Since we get one blessing card every 24 hours, the super short duration for which they stay active feels like a letdown. Especially since we only get 5 fights in a row, and it takes close to 2 hours to replenish those 5 fights. So, to make most use of the blessings, we need to come back 3 times in those 4 hours.

This (coming back 3 times in 4 hours or staying with the game for 4 hours straight) doesn't happen in real life. People play and go do their work, come back again a while later only to find the blessings expired. From which comes the feeling--blessings are not of much use anyway :(

What would be a good duration for you?

Myzou

• "Bronze Stamp Collector"
  • Pirates Beta
    • View Profile
  • Device: Android phone
  • Game Center: Fynzou
1.  Ashtasia--there is an extra 20% coin for any battle where she is involved.  I do not see that anywhere in the info...tip came from Myzou.

2.  Wulf--sabotage, Ash--Dark strike, Jasmine--weakness, Luna--Assasinate -- what exactly does the strength mean?  What effect does that strength have on the opponent?  I am trying to watch and see what happens when I use the strength during a battle, but it is not always clear what is happening, as there are several things going on at the same time.  Also for heroes, can they level up a star with just potions, or does it have to be medals?

Both of these actually explained in game. Though maybe they could add a small tip the first time you open the menu or something? If you press and hold on a skill on the menu, an explanation will pop up.

For example, if you press and hold on Ashtasia's "Thief" skill:

rpamuk

• Noble
    • View Profile

What would be a good duration for you?

My personal assessment: 6 hours minimum (will get people through a sleep cycle) and 8 hours maximum (will get people through a work day).

8 hours might push it too much to the easy side I think, and too easy is not good either  :o

Myzou

• "Bronze Stamp Collector"
  • Pirates Beta
    • View Profile
  • Device: Android phone
  • Game Center: Fynzou
Energy every 20 minutes. Let's say they want each one to last for ~15 battles for someone casually playing every hour or so. That'd be 5 hours. Tack on an extra hour for leeway, and it's 6.

Now, if you think it should last ~20 battles, then that's like 6.6 hours, so making it 7 would give the leeway.

7 hours would also give enough time for a decent amount of shop restocks, (including one full restock of each city), so the Prosperous Cities buff would also be more useful. (And you wouldn't be penalized for collecting from stores before getting cards)

So, just going from that, I'd say 7 hours. But *shrug* that's just a thought.

rmjf1111

• Noble
    • View Profile
  • Android username: rosie111@msn.com
  • Game Center: NanaBanana:) 16
Thanks Myzou, I do press on the yellow areas about heroes, but missed the 20% for Ashtasia, and even with reading, until I memorize them all, when battling, I don't always remember what each extra power is going to do. :-)

Rose Marie
H.S./P.P.--Ipad/NanaBanana:) 16 and Kindle/Tatiani Way -- Love my new bracelet!

kayakgoddess

• Noble
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Kayak Goddess!
I read a lot of different comments about people being frustrated but would like to get more info about this. So far this is what I have collected, but would like to get more input and details from you:
- The difficulty of the game is too hard. If you encounter some difficulty where you feel you are blocked, please tell us which level felt too hard and how many days you spent on it.
- The grinding is too steep, it became too slow to progress. Do you have clear examples of what is too steep (which boat part, which hero, how much it costs and how much you have?)?
- Game is too hard to understand. Which part is or has been hard to understand (Upgrade/Evolve? Fusion?  Effects of the weapon or skills on the battles? etc)

If you could detail your frustration or what you would like to improve in the game that would help us better balance it and find solutions to keep you enjoying the game.  If you can please give precise details that would help us pinpoint the exact problem. Everybody has a different play style and understanding of the game, so the more info we can get the more we can understand your exact problem. And if you have solutions, that would be even better.

Please stay positive, this is to improve the game, not to bash it and plus I don't want this thread to become a huge rant and read only complaints. Thanks for your help in making Pirate Power a better game

I Love Pirate Power and I spend a lot of time playing it.  I guess where I think it is difficult is that I feel like I do a lot of work, battling boats, picking fruit, playing the dice game (which I love!) and then I upgrade my boats, and heros and don't feel like I get much back for all that work.  I have a long way to go upgrading boats and heroes.  But yet, I have put a lot into the game since I started and still do horrible in the arena.  I am actually doing worse at the crusade now.  I used to get into the final three battles on my own, and then would use flooz or be tempted to use flooz to keep going as I just wanted to get to the end.  Now that I can't get that far, I just quit wherever I end up.  Did it get more difficult because I updated my main boat quite a bit more than the others? I beat the Doge on the mission five of the normal level and am now stuck at the first one on the hard level.  I am also at the Hell level of Skull Island on mission 5.  I am at level 35, with my Pirate HQ at Level 7.  I keep thinking that i am missing some important information on how to play just because I do so badly in the arena.  I get beat so badly there.  I have gotten better under Myzou's tutelage, and have had some improvement, I think I actually got into the third tier last week.  Or is there something more I am not understanding?  Do the people that get to the top get there because they purchase more tickets and do more battles?  Or do they win all the time?  I try to wait until my boats can battle for one ticket, and then I usually use a ticket to try to find an easier boat so I don't just lose every time.  So that has helped, using multiple boats.  Is that what I am supposed to be doing?  Or should I only use one boat each week?

I love Pirate Power.  I am truly surprised at how much I have enjoyed it.  But I know I wouldn't have continued if it hadn't been a Godzi Game, and if I hadn't already known about the forum.   I keep trying to figure it out.  But obviously others have figured it out and are doing really well in the arena.  I need a lot of wood and fusion gems to evolve.  I know initially I worked hard at the quests for coins and for things to upgrade my businesses, and I didn't do the daily battles, so I am sure that set me back in materials.  I also have a hard time with the daily battles, but have slowly been progressing in them.  I can now beat one of them all the way to the end.  I can't remember which one, it might be prisma.  And last night for the first time I finally beat all the levels of Skeletus!  So I am getting better at those.  I am usually stuck at level 6 or 7 of the other ones.

So I keep upgrading my first boat so that I can get farther with the Doge and other battles.  But I keep trying upgrade my other boats so that I can catch them up to my first boat for the crusade.  I am a long way from doing either one.  So I don't know which is more important, should I just work on catching up my other boats?  Or should I keep upgrading my main boat?  I have slots for 8 boats, but I have only built 7 as I feel like I can't upgrade them enough, I don't want to add another one yet.

I personally don't mind the four hours on the blessings as they are blessings and I know we are just supposed to count our blessings and be grateful for them. :)  But boy I love it when I get something wonderful!

Thanks again for a great game Godzi!
Kayaking makes my heart sing!  But if I can't be paddling, I am happily playing Happy Street whenever I can.

Furrycat1

• Noble
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Tepurr
Can't understand this game even though I attained lvl 21. Read my other post. Have played Happy Street since the inception. This is a disappointment.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2016, 08:20:17 pm by Furrycat1 »

Godzi Lab

• godzilab
    • View Profile

I Love Pirate Power and I spend a lot of time playing it.  I guess where I think it is difficult is that I feel like I do a lot of work, battling boats, picking fruit, playing the dice game (which I love!) and then I upgrade my boats, and heros and don't feel like I get much back for all that work.  I have a long way to go upgrading boats and heroes.  But yet, I have put a lot into the game since I started and still do horrible in the arena.  I am actually doing worse at the crusade now.  I used to get into the final three battles on my own, and then would use flooz or be tempted to use flooz to keep going as I just wanted to get to the end.  Now that I can't get that far, I just quit wherever I end up.  Did it get more difficult because I updated my main boat quite a bit more than the others? I beat the Doge on the mission five of the normal level and am now stuck at the first one on the hard level.  I am also at the Hell level of Skull Island on mission 5.  I am at level 35, with my Pirate HQ at Level 7.  I keep thinking that i am missing some important information on how to play just because I do so badly in the arena.  I get beat so badly there.  I have gotten better under Myzou's tutelage, and have had some improvement, I think I actually got into the third tier last week.  Or is there something more I am not understanding?  Do the people that get to the top get there because they purchase more tickets and do more battles?  Or do they win all the time?  I try to wait until my boats can battle for one ticket, and then I usually use a ticket to try to find an easier boat so I don't just lose every time.  So that has helped, using multiple boats.  Is that what I am supposed to be doing?  Or should I only use one boat each week?

I love Pirate Power.  I am truly surprised at how much I have enjoyed it.  But I know I wouldn't have continued if it hadn't been a Godzi Game, and if I hadn't already known about the forum.   I keep trying to figure it out.  But obviously others have figured it out and are doing really well in the arena.  I need a lot of wood and fusion gems to evolve.  I know initially I worked hard at the quests for coins and for things to upgrade my businesses, and I didn't do the daily battles, so I am sure that set me back in materials.  I also have a hard time with the daily battles, but have slowly been progressing in them.  I can now beat one of them all the way to the end.  I can't remember which one, it might be prisma.  And last night for the first time I finally beat all the levels of Skeletus!  So I am getting better at those.  I am usually stuck at level 6 or 7 of the other ones.

So I keep upgrading my first boat so that I can get farther with the Doge and other battles.  But I keep trying upgrade my other boats so that I can catch them up to my first boat for the crusade.  I am a long way from doing either one.  So I don't know which is more important, should I just work on catching up my other boats?  Or should I keep upgrading my main boat?  I have slots for 8 boats, but I have only built 7 as I feel like I can't upgrade them enough, I don't want to add another one yet.

I personally don't mind the four hours on the blessings as they are blessings and I know we are just supposed to count our blessings and be grateful for them. :)  But boy I love it when I get something wonderful!

Thanks again for a great game Godzi!

What do you mean by doing horribly in the arena? Does that mean that your ranking isn't good enough, or that you are losing a lot of battles?

kayakgoddess

• Noble
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Kayak Goddess!

What do you mean by doing horribly in the arena? Does that mean that your ranking isn't good enough, or that you are losing a lot of battles?
[/quote]

Both actually.  I have made it to the third tier a couple of times, I don't think I have ever made it above that.  And I do get beat a lot, even by boats lower level than I am.  I know use the tickets to only every battle boats that are a lower level and I win more, but definitely not all the time. 
Kayaking makes my heart sing!  But if I can't be paddling, I am happily playing Happy Street whenever I can.