Author Topic: Wuxia novels in English  (Read 987 times)

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
Wuxia novels in English
« on: January 27, 2016, 11:55:22 am »
It's been a while since I looked for these things on-line, but with Age of Wushu Dynasty, I've been thinking more about the "source" material lately.  (Personally, the American version should have been titled Age of Wuxia Dynasty since you do so much flying around and such.)

Anyway, for those who did not have an interest in wuxia novels, the 2 biggest influences are Jin Yong (That is his pen name.  He did his "serious" work under his real name, Louis Cha.) and Gu Long. 

I used to go to the translations forum at spcnet.tv to read other folks translations of their works.  The translators come and go, books start and stop, and I stopped frequenting the forum there.
Spoiler for Hiden:
Personally, I cannot determine if I have a good source on-line to read them in their original form as different places seem to have slightly different edits.  I got into a discussion with an Indonesian translator that had an added blurb about what it meant to call someone a rice cooker/rice pot. The version I was looking at did not have it and someone else's version had it but written in a different way.  What we first chalked up to being added to an Indonesian version quickly became a mutual agreement that none of us could truly trust the versions we were using and did not have access to the printed versions from Taiwan to check.

Anyhow, since I'm on a slight kick with Age of Wushu Dynasty, if folks wanted to kill a week or more, please check out the translations at wuxiasociety.  Some of the links are links back to the original spcnet.tv forum thread for the book. 

What would I recommend you start with?  The most popular trilogy from Jin Yong of course! 
Legend of the Condor Heroes
The Return of the Condor Heroes
The Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre

What else is interesting?  I enjoyed
Laughing Proudly at the World
Demi-Gods and Semi-Devils (translation is still on-going)
The Legendary Twins
The Xiaoli Feidao series
The Lu Xiaofeng series

Of all of the ones that I'd read, I still like Laughing Proudly at the World the most.  You can find these books and/or pointers to translations here : http://wuxiasociety.com/translations/

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
Re: Wuxia novels in English
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2016, 01:40:58 pm »
It took me a while to check these out. Historically, they are very interesting, but they are not my cup of tea. Thanks anyway for introducing me to a literary genre I never heard of before.
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain