Author Topic: Questions  (Read 11474 times)

Miranda

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 6
Re: Questions
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2016, 06:08:47 pm »
Is there a reason to visit friends in this game? Can I do anything on their home islands? In Happy Street, I can help friends speed up construction, help level up their buildings, and earn 3 flooz a day then coins.

So far, I don't see anything I can do when I visit friends in this game besides look at what they've built. I'm only level 13, so maybe I need to be a higher level to do anything when I visit.

Just had a quick thought...

With the tournaments, isn't it a little unfair to the newer players? How are we supposed to be able to beat players with months of experience?

I think the arena tries to match you up with players of similar strength as you, but most of the time people are stronger than me even if I use a ticket to get a different opponent. I don't think I'll spend much time with the PvP parts of the game if I'm mostly wasting tickets on losing battles.

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: Rusty Tin Can
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2016, 12:04:05 pm »
Brain is gone, so pardon me for not remembering certain names of things.

Before starting a fight, I go to my boat and see the symbols of weapon, heart?, purple blob which I can drag onto the body of the boat.  I can't get a 3/3 on anything, only a 2/3.  I'm not exactly sure what these are about either.

When fighting the purple blobby thing rises from 0 to 7, what's this about and where/how can I get more?

I have 2 boats now, but only one goes out at a time, yet the opponents have many, is there a time/place my second boat will come out?

Is there an ideal crew, my current one tends to fire shots at nothing (or so it seems lol)

I don't have much time to dedicate to this game as I would like, but it has been enjoyable.

Thanks, I have more questions, but can't type for long periods on the iPad :-)

Miranda

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2016, 12:58:44 pm »
@Groc

Those heart, cannon, and purple blob things are power ups (pearls) for when you're in a battle. Just drag them to your hull to use them. They either increase your attack power, your ship's health, or adds extra super power uses. They disappear from your inventory once they've been used in a fight.

The purple thing is your super power meter. Super powers (like Espada Tsunami, for example) are the small icons next to the purple blob when you're in a battle. They have a number on them that shows how many of the total purple thing they use. When you use a power, the number on the power increases, so the next time you use that super power, it costs more. Each member of your crew can unlock their super power once they reach level 3.

As far as I can tell, the meter fills up depending on how often you're able to hit your opponent. At least, I think that's how it fills up, but I'm not sure. I don't know how you can get it higher than 7 aside from using pearls, but I've seen mine go up to 10.

A lot of areas that you can battle will only use one of your boats. So far, I've only seen places like the Crusade (if you've built it), and some limited time battles like the Giant Knight allow you to use more than one boat. Once your first boat sinks, the next one in your fleet will automatically move in to fight in its place (if you're fighting somewhere that allows multiple boats). It'll show on the right side of your screen when you pick an area if you can have more than one boat. In the bottom right corner will be the first boat that goes out and, if there are any blank squares above it, you can choose other boats that will be used. Here's an example of what it looks like if the battle area you picked will let you use more boats (right side of image):

Spoiler for Hiden:

As for an ideal crew, my crew doesn't seem to be helpful either until I use their super power. lol
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 01:45:16 pm by Miranda »

kayakgoddess

• Noble
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: Kayak Goddess!
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2016, 01:58:34 pm »
@Groc

Those heart, cannon, and purple blob things are power ups (pearls) for when you're in a battle. Just drag them to your hull to use them. They either increase your attack power, your ship's health, or adds extra super power uses. They disappear from your inventory once they've been used in a fight.

The purple thing is your super power meter. Super powers (like Espada Tsunami, for example) are the small icons next to the purple blob when you're in a battle. They have a number on them that shows how many of the total purple thing they use. When you use a power, the number on the power increases, so the next time you use that super power, it costs more. Each member of your crew can unlock their super power once they reach level 3.

As far as I can tell, the meter fills up depending on how often you're able to hit your opponent. At least, I think that's how it fills up, but I'm not sure. I don't know how you can get it higher than 7 aside from using pearls, but I've seen mine go up to 10.

A lot of areas that you can battle will only use one of your boats. So far, I've only seen places like the Crusade (if you've built it), and some limited time battles like the Giant Knight allow you to use more than one boat. Once your first boat sinks, the next one in your fleet will automatically move in to fight in its place (if you're fighting somewhere that allows multiple boats). It'll show on the right side of your screen when you pick an area if you can have more than one boat. In the bottom right corner will be the first boat that goes out and, if there are any blank squares above it, you can choose other boats that will be used. Here's an example of what it looks like if the battle area you picked will let you use more boats (right side of image):

Spoiler for Hiden:

As for an ideal crew, my crew doesn't seem to be helpful either until I use their super power. lol

Miranda you are a goddess!  I hadn't seen that I could use more than one boat to fight that knight!

So my question is about those pearls.  I can use them when i get them, or I can use them to make something in the pearl workshop. should I save them to make the ones in the pearl workshop?  So I am wondering maybe that is why I can't get past certain levels and why i do so poorly in the arena battles. 

Thanks!  J
Kayaking makes my heart sing!  But if I can't be paddling, I am happily playing Happy Street whenever I can.

Miranda

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 26, 2016, 02:16:12 pm »
I wish the game had more tutorials instead of making you figure out all these tiny details like having more than one boat. Or maybe it can give you some sort of message if you take only one boat to a multi-boat battle, if you have more than one to choose from.

I always forget to use pearls, so I don't really know how effective they are. I assume the ones you can craft in the workshop are better since it uses 3 to craft 1.

I'm really bad at the arena. It doesn't help that most of the boats I fight seem to be a lot better than mine. Maybe pearls would help.

kayakgoddess

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 26, 2016, 02:59:18 pm »
I wish the game had more tutorials instead of making you figure out all these tiny details like having more than one boat. Or maybe it can give you some sort of message if you take only one boat to a multi-boat battle, if you have more than one to choose from.

I always forget to use pearls, so I don't really know how effective they are. I assume the ones you can craft in the workshop are better since it uses 3 to craft 1.

I'm really bad at the arena. It doesn't help that most of the boats I fight seem to be a lot better than mine. Maybe pearls would help.

I agree, really wish for more tutorials.  I can understand there being some things you need to figure out on your own.  But truthfully if I didn't have the forum and other friends from Happy Street playing who have been helping to figure it out, I probably would have quit by now.  So I just went and messed with mine again after seeing that you can use multiple boats for the knight, and saw that is was only for pirate boats.  I only have one.  So I went and messed around some more and realized that I could build a second pirate boat.   I had kept waiting for another kind of boat to unlock, and didn't realize I was supposed to build another pirate boat.  Thanks again!  I probably wouldn't have seen that on my own.  I tend to get on several times a day and just do the battles, the arena, and the crusades and then upgrade what I can, and then I realize that I have to hurry back to the real world and make it look like I got something done today besides battling pirates.  :)
Kayaking makes my heart sing!  But if I can't be paddling, I am happily playing Happy Street whenever I can.

Furrycat1

• Noble
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Tepurr
« Reply #36 on: January 26, 2016, 08:37:43 pm »

I agree, really wish for more tutorials.  I can understand there being some things you need to figure out on your own.  But truthfully if I didn't have the forum and other friends from Happy Street playing who have been helping to figure it out, I probably would have quit by now.  So I just went and messed with mine again after seeing that you can use multiple boats for the knight, and saw that is was only for pirate boats.  I only have one.  So I went and messed around some more and realized that I could build a second pirate boat.   I had kept waiting for another kind of boat to unlock, and didn't realize I was supposed to build another pirate boat.  Thanks again!  I probably wouldn't have seen that on my own.  I tend to get on several times a day and just do the battles, the arena, and the crusades and then upgrade what I can, and then I realize that I have to hurry back to the real world and make it look like I got something done today besides battling pirates.  :)
I'm now at level 7, have no clue how I got there. Don't know how to request repair, invite friends. Go to my friend list all my HS friends listed, enter their street...nothing, nowhere to tap. This game is so hit and miss don't think I'll ever understand it. Get the rating question..right now 0. All I seem to do is fight, fight, fight but don't feel I have any control of my weapons. As for building boats, adding accessories..I'm lost.
The great computer minds at Godzi developed this game but think they forgot the inexperienced computer players, like me, who Happy Street attracted. I need clear instructions at every level.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2016, 10:32:00 am »
So I just went and messed with mine again after seeing that you can use multiple boats for the knight, and saw that is was only for pirate boats.  I only have one.  So I went and messed around some more and realized that I could build a second pirate boat.   I had kept waiting for another kind of boat to unlock, and didn't realize I was supposed to build another pirate boat.
The pirate HQ shows how many boats you can have.  If you have gotten through the 4th set of battles, you unlock a different hull.  Each hull has its own weaknesses.  And each hull has different weapons you can equip.  I didn't build a 2nd pirate hull because the 5th set of battles has thunder attacks which damages my pirate hull more than usually.  Ironically, trying to level the other hull is the reason why I cannot do more against the current challenge.  I only have my main boat to use.

The bigger problem for me is the number of coins I need to level everything.  I can build more boom cannons from materials directly, but to get a different tier 2 cannon requires me to fully upgrade the tier 1 cannon again.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2016, 10:36:45 am »
Don't know how to request repair, invite friends.
From what I can tell, you do not request repair.  Your friends randomly show up on your map and you can repair them.  One of my gamecenter friends (and I need to check my friends list again ) installed and did not get very far.  I see his boat every day when I launch the game. 

Have I figured out anything else?  Nope.  Since I don't allow the game to talk to facebook, I will have to rely upon gamecenter friends that have also install the game.  If your Happy Street friends are not part of your gamecenter network, I'm not sure how you can invite them without a facebook link. 

Pr0fessorChaos

• Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Pr0fessorChaos
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2016, 01:26:02 pm »
OK, I'm hooked! As a long time Happy Street player I was a bit wary of a new game, but I trusted GodziLab. It took me a little while to find my way around but I'm starting to get it. I'm level 12 and I'm still afraid of Crusades and the Arena. But I do love the battles and collecting the booty.

That said, I want to repeat a question asked earlier in this thread. I apologize if I missed the answer, but I did look. Is anything supposed to happen when we visit our friends? I go there and...nothing. Also, I receive gifts from friends and I'm not sure how that's happening either.

Thanks!
Now playing Pirate Power too!
Intermittent  Happy Street visitor. 1, 2, 3 tapper. Level 53.
Mention Mojo Farm in friend requests.
For best results put what you want tapped on the landing page.
Pr0fessorChaos (1st o is a zero).
iOS player, Android players must add me :)

Miranda

• Blacksmith
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 27, 2016, 01:47:37 pm »
Honestly, I'm only playing this game to get the items in Happy Street. Once I get to level 21, I doubt I'll be playing Pirate Power much, if at all, unless they end up adding to the mission board in HS.

It's a cute game and all, but a lot of it starts to be a drag after the first few levels. They probably designed it that way so that people don't progress too quickly in the game and run out of things to do right away and that's understandable.

The arena and higher levels of the crusade seem really unfair to lower level players because the soft launch gave people a six month head start over people who just joined. PvP just isn't my thing in general either - I'm definitely more of a PvE player.

The bigger problem for me is the number of coins I need to level everything.  I can build more boom cannons from materials directly, but to get a different tier 2 cannon requires me to fully upgrade the tier 1 cannon again.

I really dislike this aspect of the game, too. I think if we've previously reached a tier in the game, we should be able to craft starting from that tier, not all the way back at level 1 and having to master everything all over again. It's definitely a big coin drain.

I also wish that you'd get more battle energy as you level up. It's always capped at 5 battles. The only time it's more than 5 is if you level up and you get 5 more, at which point it temporarily adds to whatever you had prior to gaining a level, but once you use up that energy, it's back down to 5 max again. Even if it didn't always give you more total energy with each level (maybe at milestone levels like 10, 20, etc you'd get 1 added to your total energy), something more than 5 max would've been nice for people who aren't able to play as often. At this point, I have to choose how to spend what little energy I have - do I want to do a limited time battle, continue the story, or get coins by accepting side quests? Most of the time, I opt for getting coins since it's really needed to level my boats - then I'll continue the story, if I feel like my boat and crew are strong enough to progress.

It's great that we can visit friends and see their boats and buildings, but there's nothing else we can really do on their islands. It would be nice to be able to recruit friends' boats as a backup or something, with a limit of only being able to use a boat from each friend once per day.

I still think more tutorials or tooltips to point out new things would be helpful for people who don't want to figure out every little detail for themselves.

Other than completing the pirate mission board in HS, there really isn't much of a draw for me to play this game. Godzi is one of the few developers to actually listen to their players and improve their games based on feedback and suggestions, so I definitely hope there are some improvements to the game that would make it more enjoyable.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2016, 01:50:19 pm by Miranda »

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 27, 2016, 03:51:13 pm »
OK, I'm hooked! As a long time Happy Street player I was a bit wary of a new game, but I trusted GodziLab. It took me a little while to find my way around but I'm starting to get it. I'm level 12 and I'm still afraid of Crusades and the Arena. But I do love the battles and collecting the booty.

That said, I want to repeat a question asked earlier in this thread. I apologize if I missed the answer, but I did look. Is anything supposed to happen when we visit our friends? I go there and...nothing. Also, I receive gifts from friends and I'm not sure how that's happening either.

Thanks!
As far as I can tell, visiting a friend does nothing for you.  What does something for you is "repairing" a friend's ship.  That drops the individual pearls you need to craft the stronger pearls in the pearl workshop. 

I forget what level I am at.  7 I think.  I built the crusade office and undertook a crusade.  I have 2 boats.  1 hoplessly underpowered and my main boat.  I send in my 1st boat and let it sink.  I then send in my 2nd boat and clear as much as I can.  So far, I can only open 2 chests.  That is as far as level 7 gets me. 

For the Arena, I pay my 1 ticket daily and win/lose against a similarly powered opponent.  I haven't been grossly outgunned by them yet.  I just have sub-optimal crew.  e.g. I have 3 attackers instead of 2 attackers and 1 repair. 

I think I'll keep slowly plugging away at the game, but the amount of gold to earn to sink back into upgrades to progress is a killer.  I have yet to get flooz from a ad chest as well.  It's always been coins.  I think I mentioned this before, but now I regret not having 2 pirate hulls.  I could at least use a 2nd boat to make the weekly challenge's powers cost more.  Each time you use a power, it cost +1 to activate the next time.  I haven't checked if there is a cap to that.  I'm just hoping to make it so that I can unleash a few more things to eek by.  I am not under the illusion that I can finish enough missions to get the upgrade from the knight.  I just want some more mats. ;)

Myzou

• "Bronze Stamp Collector"
  • Pirates Beta
    • View Profile
  • Device: Android phone
  • Game Center: Fynzou
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2016, 05:15:12 am »
@The Arena Posts: I purposely was avoiding commenting on the arena, as Godzi knows I have a less than ideal opinion on it, but eh, I'll be asked sooner or later. xD

For the arena, it's not meant to be too super competitive, unless you're in the very top of the players. That's why there's a multi-tier system. Though honestly, I feel the same as some of you, on top of people who had a head start, those who pay have an advantage. However, it was designed with that aspect intentionally apparently which I dislike. But as the arena is only one aspect of the game, it -shouldn't- bother me that much, but it's enough that I don't know if I'd play the game if I weren't beta testing it, even though it's an amazing game otherwise. I tend to avoid games with any part of it being pay to win, even if it's just one part of the game. It's why I avoid games like Clash of Clans and such. I know they need to make money, but pay to win just makes me feel like a lesser player when I don't pay.

Though for those who do like the Arena, don't worry. You'll catch up to the people from softlaunch rather quickly, as there's only 1 ship per person in the arena. I imagine most people have spent a good chunk of time on multiple boats, so you'll catch up quicker than you realize.

Just a btw, I won't be playing with you guys, as I can't have both the beta and the live game on my iPod (at least I don't think I can) and even if I can, not too inclined to play two different ones, xD I opted not to have my data transferred over to the live servers like 3 months ago when the cutoff was, as it meant I wouldn't be able to continue beta testing, and I like testing as I can help catch the small things. xD

@Groc: In battle, you  have your hull health, represented by a heart and energy, represented by the purple blob which looks like oil. It refills at a set rate. (1 every 5 seconds or so I think?) Certain characters (I think Ashtasia is the only one at the moment) can steal enemy oil occasionally when she hits their boat with her daggers.

Energy is used to power your skills. Be it Sam's Espada Tsunami or a Cannon's Triple Shot. The amount of energy a skill costs is represented by a number on the skill (it's those squares on the bottom of the battle). Every time you use a skill, the energy cost of the skill increases by 1 for that battle only.

Hull health is the health of your ships hull. If it falls to 0, your ship sinks. Attacks that strike your weapons, your  ship's nose, and your ship's sail do not affect this bar, as they all have their own health bar. If weapons are destroyed, they repair themselves over time during battle.

You can click the little ? in battle and it will explain everything on the screen. (It's in the... top left corner I think?) There's a lot of tutorials and such.

@Kayak, honestly, I rarely use pearls, but they can come in handy when you're struggling to overcome a certain level. I used them religiously for Prisma and Skeletus level 6 before I had a boat capable of beating it on their own. (Now I can beat Skeletus level 8, though I still can barely beat Prisma level 6)

@Miranda A lot of the stuff has tutorials in the form of quests. I know Upmary accidentally overlooked a few of them when she first started out. You should be able to replay a few of them if you check out the Monkis "dungeon" on the world map. Though a lot of them aren't replayable.

As for the Knight event, I assume the lack of a tutorial about having extra boats was probably because it was the last thing we beta tested before they sent it for the release. I thought it was self explanatory, but that may be because I had a second boat automatically placed in it the boxes. I thought it did that on its own, as it did that every time the event showed up, though I'm guessing that was a bug or something? If it hadn't automatically placed a boat, I probably would've mentioned something as the 2 solid blue boxes aren't very... "Place Boat Here."

@Pr0fessorChaos: There's no reason to visit friends as of yet. However, I found it nice to do in beta to see what combinations of boat parts they used and crew combinations they use.

@Miranda: The Crusade actually scales with your boats, so apart from having less boats to fight with, it tries to be as balanced as possible, though it also depends on how many people with boats your power exist. So if there aren't a lot of low level players, then the Crusade can't pull from them, if t hat makes sense? It's meant to be goals you can reach for. Would it really be fun if you could reach the end at level 7 with weak boats? I still can't reach the end at level 34 with strong boats some days. It's one of those things where you have goals and you have to keep trying.

For Gold - I highly suggest saving your Shaman Cards - if you have the hut built - for days Skeletus is around. Then pull them all. You can only save up to 5 cards, but as Skeletus comes 2 days a week, you'll never have to worry about reaching that. You can get up to I think +100 or +200% Gold from battles if you're lucky. If you get that and then do Skeletus, you get a LOT of gold. Then make sure you do crusades while you have the buff too. Skeletus is the key to gold. Never miss a day.

And honestly, I'd suggest BUYING the buildings and that's it. Don't upgrade them until after you upgrade your boats. Upgrading stores costs a lot and will take a while til you make back the difference. But the initial purchase is worth it because then you'll have income. Make sure you upgrade your bank when necessary though.

The game is designed in a way where you should take a break from the main storyline and build up your pirate armada before you continue on. You start out alone with only Sam and Adel, and along the way, you make an Armada. It wouldn't be very fun if you could clear the entire storyline right away with pretty much just those 2 characters, right?

And @Groc:

For an ideal team, I found Sam, Adel, and Amelia to be pretty solid. I think they're still one of my crews.

kayakgoddess

• Noble
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2016, 07:42:02 am »
Myzou, Thank you!  I so appreciate your help. 

Though I am still confused about the arena...Though for those who do like the Arena, don't worry. You'll catch up to the people from softlaunch rather quickly, as there's only 1 ship per person in the arena. I imagine most people have spent a good chunk of time on multiple boats, so you'll catch up quicker than you realize.  I know that when I am in the arena I can switch to a different boat that I haven't used in a certain amout of time and it costs me only 1 ticket.  Though boats I have used recently cost 3.  And I a horrible in the arena.  Even when I spend a ticket to switch the boats for lower level boat, I might still lose.  so I have been trying to use pearls there, but not sure I noticed a big difference. 

So Myzou when I a in a battle and there is a line above something with some red it, should I aim at that? 

And are certain heroes only good in certain boats?  I can't remember now, but it seems like one of mine doesn't seem to really do anything, and am wondering if I have him in the wrong boat. 

Thanks again Myzou! 

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2016, 10:01:20 am »
As for the Knight event, I assume the lack of a tutorial about having extra boats was probably because it was the last thing we beta tested before they sent it for the release. I thought it was self explanatory, but that may be because I had a second boat automatically placed in it the boxes. I thought it did that on its own, as it did that every time the event showed up, though I'm guessing that was a bug or something? If it hadn't automatically placed a boat, I probably would've mentioned something as the 2 solid blue boxes aren't very... "Place Boat Here."
The issue may be that most folks don't have 2 pirate hulls for it to auto populate.  I remember seeing the line that I can use more than 1 ship against the knight but I can only using pirate hulls.  Since I already built a Narverre (or however you spell it) hull, I only have 1 to use against the Knight.  Not that a 2nd pirate hull would have made a difference for me.  I'm still sitting at 4 crew total so I probably should be spending more time trying to unlock the heroes I have access to right now.