Author Topic: Frankenstein...It's Aliiive!! Well the thread is at least  (Read 4084 times)

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: ninja12129
  • Plus+: Ninja12129
Re: Frankenstein...It's Aliiive!! Well the thread is at least
« Reply #30 on: September 07, 2015, 09:08:27 pm »
Found some time to sit and read the first five chapters. I'm really liking it, even though, it's very "wordy", as you guys have said. Edge of your seat stuff right here ;D. As I've mentioned before, I haven't seen any Frankenstein movies or read any stories about it. This is all new to me:

Letters and first 5 Chapters:
Spoiler for Hiden:
Letter #1
Long story short: I miss you but I was right to go on this journey :P
The language reminds me of a Jack the Ripper book I read a while back. Love the way words where put on paper. Even something calamitous/threatening/dangerous sounds elegant.

Letter #2
Again, I'm picturing someone, with quill and paper by a lamp, writing all these wonderfully descriptive feelings and can't help but miss writing letters....hold on...just got a text from Bankai: Yo! Sup? (I rest my case :D )
So, our friend Robert, is approaching 30 and he's always dreamt of going on a hero's voyage. But he's got no friend to share in his moments; kind of sad. But I'm liking the concept of opening a book with letters. Is the "Ancient Mariner" a famous book? Could that be our next read? Too lazy to look it up right now.

Letter #3
Whew! I thought this letter would have some bad news. However, Robert seems to always refer to his inevitable clash with danger. Foreshadowing? Me thinks, aye!

Letter #4
And here it is! The ice closed in on them and they found a, near dead man, on a dog sled. A note for all of you to remember: alcohol is a poison! Period! Your body treats it as such and it's one of the worst things for hypothermia. Ahem...back to the letter ;).
So, here's what I think, and keep in mind I've never read the story: the strange man is the doctor who does experiments and the massive man is his "experiment". No idea though; just guessing.
Man, the third part of this letter, has laid the suspense on very thick! Can't wait to read CH 1 but I've got to get some sleep myself. Whoever picked this book, was a genius....mwahahahaha!!! :)

Ch1- Touching story about his parents, eventual, marriage and even nicer story of his (step)sister's inclusion. A little creepy, at the end, with his feelings towards his "sister". I'm sure that'll come into play eventually ;) . Not much else but a nice "wordy" read.

Ch2- Very, very interesting. His father's dismissal of a book shaped his future mindset. I can see the God complex that Robert is developing. Good character building chapter but...very wordy :). I like it :P

Ch3- Brave death from his mother but I expected nothing less from such a strong woman. It made me chuckle a bit when he was sad to leave but after three pages of grief he, pretty much, says:"Meh! This is what I wanted". :)
Then he gets a smackdown form his new professor! :D
But then, this sounds like a Disney movie, he found the "other" professor, that would change his life. I guess, it would be more appropriate to say that the Disney movies sound like this book :). Like it so far.

Ch4- Whaaaaa??? Robert bestowed animation upon lifeless matter? This should be interesting...
Damnit! I knew it! He won't tell me until the end of the book! Bait and switch, if I ever saw one :P .
And boy, oh boy! Did he ever get consumed by this discovery. I can almost feel his excitement (or is it fear?) of the unknown.

Ch5- Awesome description of the animated body and his thoughts (dream?) in relation to his family. I guess he has mommy issues :). Must keep reading the rest of the chapter.
I just realized, in this chapter, that most people (myself included), in modern times, thinks that Frankenstein is the monster. When in truth, it's our friend Robert. Interesting!
Back on topic, I'm surprised at how fearful he is of his creation and the madness it has spurred. I'm confused as to how his good friend Cervix, or whatever his name is :P , didn't see the "monster" in all those months. Did it "die"? Is it locked upstairs? Hmmm...Anywho, ominous letter waiting at the end of the chapter. I think it's his father passing. Will see.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2015, 09:20:08 pm by Ninja12129 »

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: Rusty Tin Can
« Reply #31 on: September 08, 2015, 03:48:55 am »
as per usual, just love your synopsis of the book Ninja :-)

Just took a peek and don't see an actual 'Ancient Mariner' Book but "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner in Seven Parts by Samuel Taylor Coleridge" is listed as a poem and very long.

After reading some of your synopsis, I feel like I should go back and read some parts as I don't remember certain things that you said *chuckle*. But that is nothing new for me.. my family loves me as it take at least 5 viewings before I remember seeing a movie ;-)

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
« Reply #32 on: September 08, 2015, 09:38:31 am »
Ninja - Brilliant as always! You don't know how thrilled I am to hear the reaction from a Frankenstein virgin! It is wonderful you aren't tainted by the movie versions. Your reactions are spot on.

Just in case it isn't a typo...our protagonist is Victor, not Robert. However, their quests in life run parallel - rich kids seeking adventure and recognition without thought for the welfare of others
Spoiler for Hiden:
(Victor's being the victims   of his creation; Robert's being the crew members on his rent-a-ship)
nor the ethics and morality of what they are doing. Both inherited their wealth, know nothing of responsibility, think only of adventure and fame. In other words, typical, immature teenagers with time and money.

Ancient Mariner: It is as Groc said. We all had to memorize the first few stanzas in school. I think I can still recite the first 4 or 5 lines. It is a great story that happens to be wrapped in an epic poem and well worth reading (another yawn in school turns into appreciation as an adult).

Lack of details: Shelley skips over details of the creature's...um...creation. How he accumulates his knowledge and what he does with it is what is important. There are some moments when the reader stops and thinks, "how'd that happen?" But, whenever that occurs, just be tolerant; the answer would not have added to the story. (Example:
Spoiler for Hiden:
since he is using body parts - alluded to, never spelled out as such - how is it his creation is 8 feet tall?)

Elizabeth: at a time when, in many European cultures, cousins could marry (with church dispensation), it is not unthinkable that Victor may hold tender (wow, I'm starting to talk like these characters!) and totally legitimate feelings for Elizabeth who is, basically, his father's ward, "sister" being used solely as an endearment. I have more to say on her, but it would be premature.

Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2015, 09:47:28 am »
Thanks ladies :)
I'm going to stay away from your spoiler tags until next week, so I can't really comment until then. But I can see why this book would be a bore for a younger audience in school. I'm really enjoying it though.

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2015, 07:39:48 pm »
Ch6-10
Spoiler for Hiden:
Ch6- A lot of joy in this chapter. Can't see the next one going too well for Robert...or is it Victor as the letter states, from his sister/cousin? Did I miss something?

Ch7- There it is! I knew something bad was coming.
Is it real or his imagination? Is the creation the murderer of his his brother? Seems like it's his mind, to me.
Or Justine :P. Nah! I don't believe it. I think it was the servant that "found" the locket that did it...with the knife...in the kitchen...Wait! Sorry. Thought we where playing Clue ;). Not sure what to believe in this case. Onward!

Ch8- To sum this chapter up:
Confessor: Confess!
Justine: I didn't do it!
Confessor: Confess! Or you'll get the rake!
Confessor: Confess! Or you'll get the spikes under your fingernails!
Confessor: Confess! Or I'll start flaying pieces of skin!
Confessor: Confess! Or......I'll sing Celine Dion songs!!!!
Justine: I DID IT! I KILLED THE POOR BOY BUT PLEASE!!!! NO CELINE DION!!!
Gotta love old school "interrogation" techniques :P. Not much else here other than his feeling of guilt.

Ch9- Loooong description of woe, despair and sadness. Yet, I'm starting to wonder if this story isn't a dream, or some fantasy, playing out in his head. Not sure if it's real or not. Not sure if HE is the monster and there isn't an actual "created" monster. Not much else here, except for an excursion, far from home.

Ch10- Well, I guess I was wrong about this being made up :P. Or not. Still not sure but the monster did have valid points about needing to speak his mind first. I laughed a bit at the "trash talking" of the day. I re-read it, but this time, I used current curse words and you can imaging all the F-bombs and similar words that where used instead. It's pretty funny actually. Try it ;). Keep all the words, except the "swear" words and replace them....I know you're going to do it😈....I'll wait....😏....See!!! Wasn't it fun ;)

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2015, 09:19:17 pm »
Ch11-15
Spoiler for Hiden:
Ch11- So, the monster tells his story and I keep thinking, like a video game, he's leveling up :D. The gradual description of his first days, to his current ones, is nicely done. He describes "things", which later become birds, fire, words, songs, etc. Cool way to show his transformation and his understanding of his abilities...IF IT'S EVEN REAL! I'm still not sure if this is all in Victor's head. But a nice chapter.

Ch12- Similar to the previous chapter: more character "leveling up". Fascinating description of his evolution. Not much else.

Ch13- Now the monster is power leveling :). These are, so far, some of my favourite chapters. Which means, they'll come crashing down, soon enough :P. Who's the strange Arabian? TBD, I guess.

Ch14- Great back story of Safie (Arabian) and Felix's love for eachother. Ahhhh, forbidden love! The best kind of love, as I can attest, having stolen my good friends sister. There was almost a vendetta and for two years there was no communication between my friend and I. Cooler heads prevailed, eventually, and now she's my wife ;). Score one for forbidden love! :P

Ch15- BOSS FIGHT! The monster didn't level up enough before taking on the boss :P. I had a feeling this was going to happen, seeing as he's telling him the story. But I was hoping that it would go on and the ending would be different. I'll leave the rest for another day. It's a good cliffhanger :).

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 09, 2015, 11:41:24 pm »
ok, further thoughts on what Ninja posted, don't think it would be a spoiler, but could possibly be  :o

Spoiler for Hiden:
I had to chuckle, laugh etc. at the 'Monster' and how he used the English language - seemed a bit over the top for someone that was 'created'  It is explained of course how he learns the language, but it still seemed a bit strange that within a year, he was so fluent in thoughts/expressions  (I could hear a very Upper Crust British Accent in my mind!)

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2015, 06:17:19 am »
ok, further thoughts on what Ninja posted, don't think it would be a spoiler, but could possibly be  :o

Spoiler for Hiden:
I had to chuckle, laugh etc. at the 'Monster' and how he used the English language - seemed a bit over the top for someone that was 'created'  It is explained of course how he learns the language, but it still seemed a bit strange that within a year, he was so fluent in thoughts/expressions  (I could hear a very Upper Crust British Accent in my mind!)

I thought the same thing and that's why I compared it to leveling up in a video game ;D. The only justification, I can think of, is that he has an adult brain. On the other hand, kids learn easier than adults do, so, who knows ??? .

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2015, 07:08:34 am »
Ch11-15
Spoiler for Hiden:

... Ahhhh, forbidden love! The best kind of love, as I can attest, having stolen my good friends sister. There was almost a vendetta and for two years there was no communication between my friend and I. Cooler heads prevailed, eventually, and now she's my wife ;). Score one for forbidden love! :P

How do you put a spoiler in a spoiler? 😳

Ninja!
Spoiler for Hiden:
Enough with Frankie! More on your love story!

If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2015, 09:42:24 am »
Ch11-15
Spoiler for Hiden:

... Ahhhh, forbidden love! The best kind of love, as I can attest, having stolen my good friends sister. There was almost a vendetta and for two years there was no communication between my friend and I. Cooler heads prevailed, eventually, and now she's my wife ;). Score one for forbidden love! :P

Ninja!
Spoiler for Hiden:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I agree with Selkii !!

just seeing if a spoiler in a spoiler works

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2015, 09:45:06 am »
YAY! my spoiler within spoiler worked!!

Seklii:

when you click on the thread, and show the spoiler, I inserted my spoiler at the end, but before the close of your spoiler - I hope that makes sense.

Spoiler for Hiden:
this is to show hopefully 
Spoiler for Hiden:
how to post a spoiler within a spoiler

:-)

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2015, 10:08:52 am »
Lol! I meant it figuratively, not literally, but I appreciate knowing literally works, too. Thank you!

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2015, 03:36:02 pm »
Ch11-15
Spoiler for Hiden:

Ninja!
Spoiler for Hiden:

I'll elaborate later tonight, on my own experience, with my brother-in-law-monster ;D.

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2015, 08:55:18 pm »
Ok. I started writing it out and the words just kept flowing. This is Part I, if you will, on how we actually ended up on our first date. Writing is, has brought smiles, grins, giggles and, generally, great memories that I had somewhat forgotten. Haven't told the story in a long time because everyone already knows it around me. If you're interested, Part II will follow and then the conclusion.

PS. I blame you Selkii, for not reading any Frankenstein tonight. I'll be hard pressed to finish it in time😜😘.

How I Met Your Sister
By,
Ninja12129 (also available as an audiobook 😈😍😜)

Spoiler for Hiden:
Gather 'round children, for a tale of friendship, forbidden love, betrayal and the triumph of the heart.....

I was thirteen and through a mutual friend, I met these two brothers, who where, for a lack of a better term, two of the baddest MFers around. My circle of friends consisted of vagabonds and undesirables, the kind your parents told you to stay away from. What did that make me? But, these two, where the real deal!!! We where just pretending to be tough😜.

After a few more encounters, my new acquaintances took a liking to me, because of my sense of humour. Soon enough, we where hanging out all the time and developed a close friendship. As the years went by, my distinct ability, to chug a pitcher of beer, in one shot, earned me a solid reputation amongst the riffraff. There was only one problem; they where 3 and 5 years older than me, respectively. There where certain places I couldn't go to until I got to about 17-18 years of age. And that's when the trouble started....

We did everything together, along with a few more friends in our crew: partied, drank, laughed, fought, cried, picked up girls and anything else you can imagine and some things you DON'T want to imagine. We truly where a special bunch (and in retrospect, we where "special", as, looking back, were all clearly lucky to not be in jail for some of our stunts that we pulled). But I enjoyed those wasteful years, tremendously😉.

But there was a code! An unspoken code, that went back to the time of our fathers and their fathers before them: SISTERS ARE OFF LIMITS!!! It was not open for discussion and everyone, that wanted to live, followed the Code. Obviously, you can see where this is going😈.

The older brother, was like a bull in a china shop, complete with the temper and physicality to back it up. He was (and still is) the type of guy that loves hearing his own voice and forcefully exerts compliments from others: "Isn't this the best Marlboro jacket? Doesn't my hair look like Tony Danza's? Do you think this shirt makes my arms look bigger?". You get the idea 😉.
The younger brother, was the intellectual one, and he ended up being a chiropractor, but he had an even scarier quality about him. He would rarely explode but when he did, the older brother would even be scared!

So, now that you have some background info, I can continue. OnNovember 13, 1999, Lennox Lewis was fighting Evander Holyfield for the World Heavyweight Championship belt in boxing. This was back in the day, where boxers where rock stars and could fill up a bar, even though there was a cover charge to watch the match.
Needless to say, we had front row seats at our local pool hall but the Older brother was missing. I kept paging him, but no answer. I even added the "911" after each page, so he knew it was important. Wasn't that clever of us? Add 911 after every page when it urgent! Well, guess what? Every page had a 911 attached to it because everyone's page was THE most urgent in the world😜. 
Anyway, I was getting desperate to get a hold of him because we couldn't keep his seat empty for much longer. Fat Ang, at the Academy of Pool, wasn't called Fat Ang for nuttin'. And he wanted asses in the seats. And this seat was assless. And Fat Ang can be a scary guy when he gets angry. And that's when, at the time, I made the biggest mistake I could've made: I called his moms house😬😱.

You see, all our mothers knew what we where, but they didn't want to see or hear about it, or us. We never called each others houses. But this was different. This was the biggest boxing match we where ever going to see!!! I had to do it!!! I had to get to that pay phone and just make the call. If anyone else picked up the phone, I'd just hang up. And if his mother picked up the phone, because Greek dads NEVER pick up the phone, I wouldn't even breath. She scared me...and all of our friends😬.

I took the quarter out...swallowed....dropped it in the pay phone and, even with all the noise in the background, that quarter made the loudest CLANK, CLINK, CLANK sound I ever heard. It was like watching a slow motion movie with all your senses heightened. "Please don't let it be his mom. Please don't let it be his mom. Please don't let it be his mom. " is all I kept saying to myself. The tone was like a cruel mistress that didn't let me leave. "He'll pick up on the next ring. I know it. Come on man!!! Please don't let it be his mo...".

"Hello?"
....I was silent. I knew it wasn't his mom, but I answered in Greek anyway.
"Hi, Ms. Older brothers mom (name omitted), is Older brother there?"
"He's in the shower! And I'm not Ms. Older brothers mom!!!😡 I'm Older brothers Younger sister"

Damnit, damnit, damnit!!! This was even worse!!! Remember the Code. Remember the Code. Remember the Code. Remember the Code. Remember the Code. Remember the Code.

"Sorry. I thought it was his mom" What a stupid thing to say?
"Obviously not!"
GULP!!!
"Ok. Just tell him the boxing match is starting and we're at Academy but he needs to get here quick or he won't have a seat and I can't hold onto his seat for much longer before Fat Ang gets upset"....Where's the period you idiot!!! Just hang up already. Remember the Code. Remember the Code.
"Who is this?"
😰💥🔫
"Jim". The silence is getting awkward.
"Which Jim?" I forgot that Jim is a common Greek name...face palm.
"Jim!" Good answer, tough guy!
"Little Jim?" Little Jim? What does she mean by Little Jim? I'm not little. What the hell do I say now?
"I don't know who that is...."
"Well, there's Big Jim and Little Jim. Big Jim is Jim Bones. Are you Jim Bones?"
"No!"
"So, you're Little Jim."
"Why am I Little Jim, again?"
"Because the other Jim is older."

Whew! My pride is still intact😜.
"Then why didn't you say younger Jim?"
"Because that's how I call you guys. Since my brother doesn't let me talk to any of you."

I reeeaaaaaaallllly need to hang up the phone, at this point.
"Ok. Just let him know. Bye."
Say bye, say bye, say bye!
"Wait."
Fuk!!!! Remember the Code. Remember the Code. Remember the Code. Remember the Code. Remember the Code.
"What?"
"Isn't your birthday coming up?"

How the hell did she know that?
"How the hell did you know that?" Smooth, man. Just smooth.
"My brother told me you guys are going to Millenium for your birthday. I might come by with my brothers to wish you happy birthday."

💀💥🔫💀💥🔫💀💥💀💥🔫 DEAD MAN WALKIN, DEAD MAN WALKIN!!! Say something! Stop this from happening right now!!!
"Thanks. But I'm not sure if we're going to Millenium or Paparazzi's." Hah! She's not old enough to go to a club. Neither am I, but her brothers know the bouncers and they have pull😉.
"That's too bad. I wanted to say happy birthday...."
"Let me give you my pager number and maybe we'll go for a coffee instead....
" WHAT THE HELL DID YOU JUST DO???????
"Ok. Go!"

I gave her my number and couldn't sleep all night. If her brothers ever found out, they'd literally kill me, I thought to myself. I hope she never calls.

Or maybe...

We can go for a coffee somewhere far where nobody knows us?

NO! Your first thought was better. Hopefully she doesn't call. You don't need the headache!!! Or the beating!!!

She called me the day before my birthday...and added the dreaded 911 on my pager!!! 😱

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 11, 2015, 06:21:55 am »
Lol! I meant it figuratively, not literally, but I appreciate knowing literally works, too. Thank you!

*chuckle*
no problem, I shall blame my taking you literally on my failing brain cells - I am currently in a Minion/Garfield quote war with a friend of mine who is not well. I am trying my best to give positive vibes and support to him and his wife. So all silliness shall be continued until his medications hopefully start working.

Spoiler for Hiden:
He has MS and had a relapse on Wednesday, so is having intervienious steriods for 2 days then 2 days of pills, it's not looking good, as he is slowly ... well you know, I don't want to say the words. I plan on sending fairy wishes from my purple wand made of Unicorn hair :-)