Author Topic: Frankenstein...It's Aliiive!! Well the thread is at least  (Read 4083 times)

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
Re: Frankenstein...It's Aliiive!! Well the thread is at least
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2015, 12:29:15 am »
Me too, sounds like a plan.
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: Rusty Tin Can
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2015, 01:03:52 am »
Me three!!!

I was commenting to hubby last night about the book and how 'wordy' it is!

Not that this is a bad thing as it is wonderful and adventurous to partake in such a fascinating novel.  My heart beats with excitement as I gaze upon the Kindle, marveling at what kind of prose is being written.

Ooops... looks like the book is affecting me now and I am out of practice with my descriptive writing ;-)

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2015, 02:35:06 am »
Something that I have noticed just now - the book is in 3 parts. I have just started Part 2 Chapter 1.
Now, my poor confused brain (busy working out how I plan on attacking some trolls) is wondering..
We agreed to 12 Chapters, which is half the book. I don't know if my poor little brain can work this out with a re-start of Chapter 1 *grin* I see that I am on 34% of the book, so I hope that by the time I hit 50%, it will be the 12 Chapters.
My other thought would be to start discussion after reaching the end of Part 1 - just a thought, I plan on continuing to reach the 50% for Sunday/Monday anyway :-)

and if anyone can make sense as to what I am on about, please share with me *grin*

*whispers* here troll, here troll, come out and play...

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: ninja12129
  • Plus+: Ninja12129
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2015, 06:16:11 am »
I've only read the opening letters so I wasn't aware of the "three" parts. I blame Gatecon :P
I'm ok with doing three parts and covering it in a spoiler tag if you're not sure.

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2015, 08:05:23 am »
Hmmm my version doesn't seem to mention three parts so don't know.
I blame Ninja.
No reason, I just do.

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2015, 11:36:15 am »
Neither my iBook nor Kindle versions are divided; however, you should be able to search your version for the line:

""I now hasten to the more moving part of my story, " which is the first line in chapter 13.

Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 03, 2015, 03:02:49 am »
*chuckle* no, no, I blame me!! *grin*

When I read these posts this morning, my poor brain started screaming "NO, I don't want to try and figure out how to search on the Kindle!"

silly me, wasn't that hard it turns out (gotta love google) and see that it is Chapter V, Location 1465 / pg 91
what this means in English is beyond me though ;-)

I see that I am currently at Loc 1126 or 35% done.  I will probably post on Sunday about the 1st part of the book as I am a bit confused - this isn't anything like the movies I have seen  :o :P

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 03, 2015, 06:29:55 am »
... this isn't anything like the movies I have seen  :o :P

I know of only one movie version that comes close to the book "Mary Shelley's Frankenstein" with Kenneth Branagh. Even that one "Hollywood-ized" the plot, but, at least, it includes Walton stuck in the Arctic and treats it more as a morality play. It comes closest to holding true to the atmosphere and message of the book. Unfortunately, it was this very adherence to Mary Shelley's words that ended up with a highly criticized movie. IMO, it comes down to present society's limited attention span. Just as with the book, we'd rather "get on with it already" than take the time to experience the emotional impact of the words.

Although the Boris Karloff film is a highly truncated and altered version of the book, it was how he portrayed the creature's agony that made it such a brilliant performance. We remember the "it's alive!" line and peasants running around with torches, but not the plot subtleties straight from Shelley.

As far as I am concerned, all other film versions, though entertaining, have no relationship to the true essence of the book, although another favorite of mine is "Curse of Frankenstein" with Christopher Lee. I haven't seen this one in eons, so my memory of liking it may be only because I had a childhood crush on CL.  ^-^
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 06:33:57 am by Selkii »

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 06, 2015, 04:26:23 pm »
Frankenstein

I thought today was the first Sunday, Chap 1-12, but it is awfully quiet here. All I gots are some comments, no spoilers.

Skipping all the psychology of, the beliefs of the time, and nature vs. nurture arguments, the following is strictly a personal and, I will admit, superficial take on "Frankenstein."

General observation 1

I am so glad we are reading these classics and, regardless of criticism, I am enjoying Frankenstein.

----------

General observation 2

Despite her hedonistic (for the time) lifestyle (sounds very 1970's), Mary Shelley expresses strong moral and religious values throughout the novel, especially in both her monster's and Victor's struggles.

----------

General Observation 3

I must have read Frankenstein for the first time when I was about 9 or 10. From that age through HS, I was a died-in-the-wool (sic) fan of all monster films, especially Hammer, even the cheesy ones. I was also a push-over for period books (think paid-by-the-word Dickens and word-genius Austin).  That has to be the reason why I lapped up Frankenstein despite its over-blown prose.

Now, I see it as the work of (close your ears - sacrilege coming) a very young writer who felt more is better. I know...it was the style of the time...but, Mary Shelley just seems to me to go waaaay overboard as if she were in a competition.  Oh, right! She was in a competition.

Austin wrote in a time where long description was the norm, but every word she used was necessary to the whole. Today, we would say Mary Shelley liked to "hear her own voice." Dickens was verbose, but not (as) repetitive as Shelley.

General Observation 4 - CHANGED MY MIND!

Having finished the book, I must eat my words...partially. What started out as what I thought was Mary "Chatty Cathy" Shelley ended with my hanging on every word, especially the final chapters.

----------

General Observation 5

In Shelley's time, expressions of loss were more extensive, including rituals we may today consider morbid, and years-long periods of mourning. It makes Victor's quest to raise the dead even more poignant.

Quote from Chap 3 (not a spoiler):
"It is so long before the mind can persuade itself that she whom we saw every day and whose very existence appeared a part of our own can have departed forever—that the brightness of a beloved eye can have been extinguished and the sound of a voice so familiar and dear to the ear can be hushed, never more to be heard."

It tears the heart. At least it did mine.

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: ninja12129
  • Plus+: Ninja12129
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2015, 07:20:12 pm »
Long weekend over here (and U.S. I believe), so I've been out and about. I'll confess that I haven't read past the first 4 (or was it 3?) letters :P. But I will make sure I'm caught up with everyone. School starts on Tuesday as well, so, that'll free up a bunch of my time...
Spoiler for Hiden:
THANK GOD!!!  ;D

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2015, 10:03:48 pm »
With a book like this, it is an advantage to be on vacation. The start is slow, but, the further I got into it, the more fascinating it became. Could I have done with fewer words? A paradoxical yes and no. In the end, it is an amazing book.

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2015, 02:48:57 am »
My apologies for not replying yesterday, but RL gets in my way right now... 'nuff said ;-)

Anywho, I have read up to Chapter 5 part 2, but I am behind checking on my various boards, so I shall make my observations later this afternoon.

I hope you had a good Labour Day Ninja - the UK had it's long weekend last week but doesn't call it Labour day. My daughter started school last Thursday and it has been bliss with no one to disrupt my naps! LOL

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2015, 03:49:54 am »
Phew, thankfully I'm not the only one way behind! Have had time sensitive work that had to take priority over reading, but I've just downloaded the narration to the book so can at least be listening to the story while I do other stuff.
So even if I'm too far behind to make comments I can at least make sure I do 'read' the book. I often find the audio tracks detract from the story if the narrators' voice grates or their insistence on doing bad accents for each character gets annoying. On this occasion however the voice and the accents are fine! Although it does actually sound as though it is being read by Count Drrrracula!!

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2015, 04:52:58 am »
<snip> Although it does actually sound as though it is being read by Count Drrrracula!!

*chuckle* that's because they were friends!!! *grin*

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 07, 2015, 05:00:51 am »
Now, I am not completely with it once again as some things in life swirl around me causing me to ‘blank out’ at times, but here is my 2 cents worth:  please note, that is cents, NOT pence ;-)  I refuse to give up my Canadianisms

As I have said before, I have only seen a couple of versions of Frankenstein (Boris Karloff), Young Frankenstein (Peter Boyle),   Rocky Horror Picture Show, Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein and a couple of the Hammer Studio ones (but can’t remember which ones).

Having never read any what I would call ‘true Classics’ other than some Edgar Allen Poe, I was unprepared for the writing style used by Mary Shelly. I am not use to such superfluous (is that the right word?) usage of the language. Not that I am complaining, but at times I thought to myself, “just get on with it”!

Seeing as some are behind on their reading  - MMBOY, do I understand that! I will hide both parts that may contain spoilers

Part 1
Spoiler for Hiden:
Having seen the above movies, I was a bit confused about the order of how things were happening. The book is in 3 parts, after reading the first part, I don’t recall being over excited about anything in particular.  Victor goes to school positive about one way of thinking only to change his mind. Creates the Creature - not much information about that, which again the movies really made a big deal of

Part 2
Spoiler for Hiden:
However in the Second part, the pace did pick up, but again confusion set in as I was expecting some more information as to what exactly Frankenstein was up to as in the help of an ‘Igor’. It sounds like he did the ‘Monster’ on his own with no help.
I was also surprised that when Victor did meet up with his Monster, that the Monster could speak so well. Most of the movies just have it grunting.  Having read further on to the Second part Chapter 5, it is explained how this happened. I can’t comment more as the ‘Monster’ is still telling his tale to Victor.

Bring on the rest of the Part/Chapters!!