Author Topic: Outlander (Discussing Ch 19-23, No Longer Continuing)  (Read 5880 times)

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
Re: Outlander (Discussing Ch 1-3, Reading Ch 4-6)
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2015, 10:09:12 am »
Aye lassie ken is to know aboot something

I'm afraid I only got to Ch5 so far this week so plan to have a binge this afternoon. Was too busy fighting the ground elder apocalypse in the garden! The raised veg bed is almost back to normal after sifting thru every ounce of soil pulling out the elder root system.

In fact I'm thinking it would make a great war-based video game ....The Elder Soils

I can see it now - clans of Dandilions, Clovers, Ivy having turf wars...
Hm ...  I may have to import Gate to battle with my most insidious weed, mint.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2015, 10:31:46 am »
4-6 picked up the pace a bit.  I'm ahead chapter-wise since I was a bit behind last week.  It took a lot to make it through chapter 2.  The reading seems to get faster as it goes. 

One of the things that struck me as odd was when Mrs FitzGibbon was using the leeches.  Rather, her exposition about when to use leeches.  Maybe someone else that is more read up on the medical usage of leeches can speak to this better.  Leeches were used basically as a cure-all back in that time period.  To have Mrs. FitzGibbon talk about the proper modern usage of leeches was out of place for me.  Then again, the folks practicing with leeches at the time without submitting to the fancy journals may have made the connection, but if the folk knowledge of it was strong enough, it should have shown up in the journals as well.  Or maybe it was chalked up to common sense.

Oh, and Groc, your caper tossing made me do a spit take.  Caber tossing is what you are looking for. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caber_toss  Having gone to a Highlands Games out here, I knew what you meant.  But still, the mental imagery was very Python-ish.

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
« Reply #32 on: June 15, 2015, 10:50:40 am »
Am behind in reading, but will catch up later today (she says confidently).

Missed the "caper." Walk this way and toss the caper...ouch, it hurts laughing!! thanks Groc & Wilyone! I needed that.
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #33 on: June 15, 2015, 11:43:58 am »
Caper tossing is for the "wee folk" 😜
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: ninja12129
  • Plus+: Ninja12129
« Reply #34 on: June 15, 2015, 11:46:06 am »
Outlander

Ch4- Jamie's story was very touching. I was reading it to myself, aloud, in a horrible accent. Keep in mind, I was on my back deck and nobody was around, except the odd raccoon :D. Great chapter, even though it didn't progress the main story, in my mind. It definitely built up Jamie's character but maybe that was the point. We'll see. Claire is handling the whole situation quite well, on the outside, all things considered. I'm glad she let out that last breath and had a good cry. Should clear her mind going forward. 

Ch5- Meh. Uneventful, really. Short and not much to comment on. I guess it was more world/character building, which I can appreciate.

Ch6- Scots seem to have the same hospitality as their Canadian brethren, the Maritimers. In fact, Nova Scotia, is named so, after the "New Scots" arrived. Their hospitality is unmatched in all of Canada and the Mackenzies reminded me of them. Something about Jamie though...hmmm...I have a feeling he's going to be key, if, she's ever to return to her time. Good book so far :)

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
Re: Outlander (Discussing Ch 4-6, Reading Ch 7-10)
« Reply #35 on: June 15, 2015, 12:04:59 pm »
I've "tossed" a few capers after a bad lunch 😜😖😉

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 15, 2015, 01:55:41 pm »
(I don't have my iPad with me right now.)  Not that I'm complaining, but we are covering 4 chapters, 7-10, or 3 chapters, 7-9, this week?  I don't recall where the section break is so if it is after 10, good call.   :D

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 15, 2015, 07:46:54 pm »
You're right about the break Wilyone: after 10. I should've asked first ^-^. Is everyone good with 4 chapters this week?

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: Rusty Tin Can
« Reply #38 on: June 15, 2015, 10:00:35 pm »
I am fine with the next set of chapters, I do have a break down (if you want, I can post it) of each chapter and number of pages. Chapter 10 takes us to the end of Part 3.

I must say, my face was just a wee bit red when I read about the 'caper' as apposed to the Caber!!  *chuckle* Thank you for correcting me on that, I do know it is a Caber, but my fingers obviously decided to type wrong again (stupid fingers!)  Having said that, it is funny, and yup, I can see Monty Python doing a sketch about caper tossing LOL.

I agree Ninja, the Eastern Coastal people are absolutely fabulous with their hospitality etc. I use to work with someone from Newfoundland and she was super friendly.  I think Winnipeggers are like that as well IMO - many a time people have opened their homes to strangers due to extreme (sp?) weather.

on a side note, please feel free to correct any spelling errors or items (capers eg) I may do, the fingers are faster than the brain most days.

Snookiecasula

• Dragon Slayer
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 9.7
  • Game Center: Snookiecasula
  • Plus+: Snookiecasula
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2015, 10:39:17 pm »
It s fun seeing what all your thought s are on the book so far. I enjoyed reading more about Jamie. He came across as a sensitive manly man. :D
Playing Clash of Kings K#1036, SuperCity and Animal Crossing.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2015, 09:57:20 am »
You're right about the break Wilyone: after 10. I should've asked first ^-^. Is everyone good with 4 chapters this week?
4 is fine by me.

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
« Reply #41 on: June 19, 2015, 09:08:34 pm »
My usual state of late is between vegetable and a very happy hippy. Will continue stumbling my way through the chapters. Four per week sounds about right.

Question...am I the only one who finds it a tad...mmm...boring at times? I thought it may be my meds, but, my sister said she was surprised I made it past chapter 4 for all the plodding (that's when she quit). Does it get better?

REMINDER for PBS viewers: Sunday = Poldark
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: Rusty Tin Can
« Reply #42 on: June 19, 2015, 10:45:08 pm »
My usual state of late is between vegetable and a very happy hippy. Will continue stumbling my way through the chapters. Four per week sounds about right.

Question...am I the only one who finds it a tad...mmm...boring at times? I thought it may be my meds, but, my sister said she was surprised I made it past chapter 4 for all the plodding (that's when she quit). Does it get better?

REMINDER for PBS viewers: Sunday = Poldark

I hope you have more happy hippy days than veggie ones (I can relate to this).

I don't know if I would call it boring, but she does like to go into LOTS of detail/description.  I have read all 10 chapters, but can only discuss up to 6 until Monday. I will say that there are times its' a bit too much detail, but then it picks up/gets exciting, then slows again.  It will be interesting to see what others say on Monday :-)

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 21, 2015, 11:31:59 am »
After reading (and re-reading) A Song of Ice and Fire series (Game of Thrones), world building doesn't bother me. I love all the details that pay off later.

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 22, 2015, 06:08:22 am »
Ch 7
Grunts, groans and "Scottish noises" :D . Those seem more universal to most men. Lol. Dr. Frankensteins laboratory was quite interesting to read about, as my own medical background was piqued, by the "old ways" people thought of curing others. Not too far from the truth.
Jamie...what's up with Jamie? Next chapter :)

Ch 8
A chapter on flirting and a young, spurned, lass :D . I must try some of that Rhenish wine that Colum has stashed away ;) . The spurned lass turned out to be...ermmmm...not so spurned after all :) . Interesting that the horsemaster is aware of all of it and thinks that Jamie needs another "type" of wife. The old stories, about the "Gatherings" where also interesting to hear about. Surely this will come into play, soon enough, as the next chapter is called, well, The Gathering.
Jamie...what's up with Jamie? Next chapter :)

Ch 9
Before I forget, I learnt that a Hogshead is equal to 240 litres of Ale!!! I need me one of those :P
Aaaaaaand there it is! Jamie's been a naughty little boy, according to the Morning After Pill lady. Surprised that Claire didn't make more inquiries.
Ahhhh...the good ol' days when you could punish a child and not worry about the cops being called. Still, when I give my boys a little tug on the ear, I'll remind myself that something's where better left in the past :D .
Romance a 'brewin between Claire and Jamie (not that it wasn't obvious).
Interesting character intro, of the herb lady, and a so-so chapter. Not the Gathering I was expecting though. Good feign by the author.

Ch 10
I made a mental not of Claire's desire to escape, from the previous chapter, but then it just disappeared from my thoughts. Just as well, as, it didn't amount to anything. Saw that one coming a mile away ;).
Liked the description of the boar hunt AND its' consequences. I'm finding Claire being more assertive will ultimately get her in more trouble. But it also makes her character more interesting.
“Je suis prest,” and was he ever! Good set up for a , potentially, violent and embarrassing moment, between Colum and Jamie. The description of the Gathering was something that I took the time to imagine in my mind. Love the pomp and circumstance of those old festive events. Still...Jamie...what's up with Jamie? Next chapter :)