Author Topic: Outlander (Discussing Ch 19-23, No Longer Continuing)  (Read 5879 times)

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: Rusty Tin Can
Re: Outlander Series Book 1: Outlander
« Reply #15 on: June 05, 2015, 09:29:15 am »
Aye Laddie, 'tis true...  not sure if I would be considered a sassenach or not - the Great Grandparents are from Scotland on the Maw's side (or is that the Great Great Grandparents)

My Kindle has the US version of the book, and I have the UK of the printed book, so there are some differences, but that can wait until Monday.

What's even funnier is that when I was reading the actual book, I kept trying to press the words to get the definition!!

:o :P

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
Re: Outlander Series Book 1: Outlander
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2015, 06:03:42 pm »
I'm putting it down to the oxycodone mixed with the audio of Outlander. Last night I dreamt Snowmani, Gatecon, Zombie and I were playing scrabble, except we had books instead of tiles in front of us and we were all speaking in Scots Gaelic  :o

Am still early on chapter 1. Couldn't listen while in hospital. When I finally could, the audio kept putting me to sleep. Finally got the iBook version today. Now reading is putting me to sleep.

Mage, you have me now imagining what the Scottish accent sounds when speaking Hollands.  ::)
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: ninja12129
  • Plus+: Ninja12129
Re: Outlander Series Book 1: Outlander (Discussing Ch 1-3)
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2015, 09:48:40 pm »
Just finished the third chapter and figured I'd start before I forget everything ;D.

Ch 1- It was definitely a slow burn and some of the words had me puzzled. However, once the context of the sentences came to the forefront, the definitions where easy to guess at. I wasn't that interested in the main characters' profile, as I was, in her husbands ???. Really liked his geeky profession as that type of stuff intrigues me. Overall, I was worried a bit about getting disinterested. Not much intrigue in this chapter.

Ch 2- I liked meeting some of the new characters but, again, the chapter feels slow and plodding. The genealogy angle, through the husband, peaks my curiosity and I have a feeling it'll come into play...soon :). When she visited the henge and saw the old ladies performing their ritual, I knew something was about to happen. Better than the first chapter, but still...maybe the next chapter will get better.

Ch 3- There it is! The slow burn pays off. Loving all the Scots and their manly man attitudes. Her resistance to them is also an enjoyable read. (On a side note, about half way through the chapter, I found something that irritated me: the author uses current day terminology (not '40's era) like concussion and now I'm hypervigilant for that trait.) Having said that, the travel at night, really had me feeling I was there with them. Her commanding tone, while treating Jamie, felt real. Good turn of events and the book has turned me: I'm in! Looking forward to the story unfolding now and I'm glad we decided to go with it.

Sort of related question: is the entire book series based in that era and with the same timeline and characters? Or is each one a different adventure?

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2015, 10:47:49 pm »
Liked your review, Ninja.  If I hadn't seen the first season of the TV series, I may not have made it through Chap2.

Based on that series, the plot seems to be her struggle to return to her own time while getting more entangled in Jamie's far more interesting era.

I find her character far more interesting and exciting than her husband's.  I feel his character is just a redrawing of the typical, Victorian scholar moved to the 1940’s. Yawn.

Other than that, I have little to add to Ninja's reacton other than one bit of trivia. In Chap1, there was a reference to ancient giants. Coincidentally, within the last month I read a paper published in an archeological emag referring to the discovery of proof such a Northern European race had once existed (other discoveries have been made on more than one continent). Still, the skeletons found may be no more than a statistical anomaly.

Perhaps that's why these Scots warriors are so brawn 'n Bonnie.  ;)

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2015, 02:19:02 am »
I didn't find the words too bad, but I have been around Scots/Brits for so long, I think both ways usually.

Frank irritated me in that he would get so absorbed in his work, he paid no attention to anything around him – bit rude IMO.  Claire was more interesting in that she was a nurse, and she sounds like a strong character, which you have to be when being a nurse.  Yes, the first chapter was definitely slow.

I don’t mind genealogy, but not the point of obsession that Frank is. I did giggle a couple of times when Claire described her reactions when he went into his 'Teacher/Acadamian (sp?) mode.  When she spoke of the henge, I did a search to see if there was such a thing – nope, but there are apparently other henges in Scotland.

I agree with the picking up of the pace in chapter 3, it was very exciting reading about the meeting up with the Scots. The author does do a good job of description as all through the 3 chapters I felt like I was there, hence thinking in the Scottish accent!  and ohmy, there was some delicious action happening ;-)

Ninja, just did a quick search on the origins of concussion, it was a term used in the 40’s. It was the mid to late 1800’s that they ‘diagnosed’ injuries as concussion.  Or am I reading what you wrote wrong?

Sorry, don’t know that, but I was thinking the same thing – 7 books of one adventure or different?

Selkii:
That would be interesting to find out more about the ‘giants’ as it would explain why many Scots are so brawny – Caper tossing comes to mind. I have heard that Ireland also may have had them – not sure about proof though.
I do hope that the author continues with the snippets of the wee folk, folklore etc as it will be something to look into while between chapters.
So far, I am enjoying the book and it takes all my willpower not to steam ahead. However, I am reading both the US and UK version. I noticed that one book had Oolong tea the other had Earl Grey.
Bring on the next chapters!!

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2015, 03:47:58 am »
I have to admit the one thing I am having problems with while reading is trying not to remember what happened next in the TV series! Trying but not always succeeding so it sometimes takes the surprise out of it, though of course the written form is far more descriptive than the scene on TV is.

I'm also not sure many Scots would keep using words like "Ye" in their sentences, even back in the 40's. But its an acceptable way to set the atmosphere of the era and location.

However to partly answer Ninja's question about where the rest of the books are set, and I was going to out this in spoilers til I realised anyone can read it on the book reviews on Amazon etc lol, but the books do move location...to France and then to America in time for revolution, so Galbaldon will be on home turf by then.

I believe all the books to date then stay in America and do follow a timeline.

I haven't decided yet if I find Frank annoying or not, but do like the feistiness of Claire. Also interesting that they have spent so little time together during their marriage to the extent that she says she doesn't really know her husband.
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

Mage01

• Sorcerer
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 9.7
  • Game Center: Mage01
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2015, 04:58:29 am »
LOL Selki, no Hollands Scottish in the Dutch book.
I never like it to read translated books, when the original language is one that I understand, but this book would be difficult for me in English with Scottish words mixed in.

I finished the 3 chapters quickly and for me 4 or 5 chapters would be ok.
I do agree with most of the reviews, at first slow but getting better and I prefer Claire. Maybe Franks obsession will be useful later in the book, who knows.
For me it's too early  to like it or dislike it and I'm glad I can start chapter 4 now, to see what's going on.
Carpe Diem

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2015, 05:46:04 am »
Chapter 4 is pretty good...  :-)

LOL, however having said that, I need to re-read it to see what I have forgotten!!   

Yes, I am having one of those days where I would forget my head if it wasn't attached  :P ???

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2015, 09:51:52 am »

Yes, I am having one of those days where I would forget my head if it wasn't attached  :P ???

Lost mine...still looking...

Snookiecasula

• Dragon Slayer
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 9.7
  • Game Center: Snookiecasula
  • Plus+: Snookiecasula
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2015, 09:56:55 am »
I decided to read Ch 1-3 again as a refresher. Love Claire and her strong feisty attitude. I liked Frank too, he's a decent good man. Since you've met Jonathan Randall in Ch 3, I think you can see the contrast there. Since I've already read all this, I won't say to much, don't want to spoil it for others, but yes the books do not stay in Scotland.
Playing Clash of Kings K#1036, SuperCity and Animal Crossing.

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2015, 04:02:05 pm »

That would be interesting to find out more about the ‘giants’ as it would explain why many Scots are so brawny – Caper tossing comes to mind. I have heard that Ireland also may have had them – not sure about proof though.

I do hope that the author continues with the snippets of the wee folk, folklore etc as it will be something to look into while between chapters.

My scientific side points to "giants" being found in France and South America, as have dwarfs, and consider these mutations occurred the same as they do today.

However...I'd rather believe there once was a Race of Giants, as well as "wee folk."  Otherwise, why have I been thinking of landscaping my herb garden as a Fairy Garden, then setting up hidden cameras.  ;)

I noticed that one book had Oolong tea the other had Earl Grey.

Too funny! I have found my British friends in Canada prefer Oolong, American friends go for Earl Grey. Genetics of taste buds?

Random thought...I'm sorry I saw S1 of the TV series before reading the book. Part of the joy of reading is imagining the people and scenes yourself based on how well the author draws them. Now I don't know if what my mind's eye sees is because of Gabaldon's descriptions, or how successfully it was translated to the screen.

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2015, 10:42:44 pm »
One of my favorite quotes: 'of all the things I have lost, I miss my mind the most'  :-)

As a Canuk (Canadian) I preferred Earl Grey, hubby is British and also likes Earl Grey, I can't remember if I have ever had Oolong.

Part of my ancestry is Scottish (4th Generation) and I had the honour of being a daughter-in-law to an Irish Mom (from Belfast in 1920's).   I was brought up on the wee folk and have a belief that they are around.

Kayakgoddess has some fantastic Gnome homes in her backyard (trees cut down with roofs/windows/doors) and a Fairy door inside.  I'm trying to figure out where to put a Fairy door in our house. 

I try and read the book before watching the movie as I agree with 'seeing' the book in my head first. Hubby doesn't have the time to read the books and my daughter is a slow reader, so they always ask me what is different between the two.  I do get upset at times when they miss out certain things that I felt were important :-)

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
Re: Outlander (Discussing Ch 1-3, Reading Ch 4-6)
« Reply #27 on: June 15, 2015, 01:31:17 am »
okie dokie, chapters 4-6 for me...

The pace was alright for me, I do like the way she describes events as I feel like I am right there.

I have noticed at least once that the wording used is more modern than what it should be in the mid 1700's. I think it was a conversation between Claire and the Clan Chief Callum.

I am really liking the character Jamie - very sweet but tough and I am hoping nothing serious happens to him in the end.  (I may want to marry him *grin*)

I have only been stuck on a couple of the Scottish terms, but can generally work out what is being said, but the word 'ken' still throws me. When I re-read it, I can't understand if it is 'know' or something else. :-/

In all, I am really enjoying the book so far, like I said, her descriptions really capture my imagination.  However, when Mrs FitzGibbon was using the leeches, I kept thinking to myself that I could have used that remedy years ago as a teenager as I was accident-prone and bruised very easily :-)

Not sure what else to say, other than bring on the other chapters! :-)

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2015, 02:21:30 am »
Aye lassie ken is to know aboot something

I'm afraid I only got to Ch5 so far this week so plan to have a binge this afternoon. Was too busy fighting the ground elder apocalypse in the garden! The raised veg bed is almost back to normal after sifting thru every ounce of soil pulling out the elder root system.

In fact I'm thinking it would make a great war-based video game ....The Elder Soils
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2015, 05:38:10 am »
Aye lassie ken is to know aboot something

I'm afraid I only got to Ch5 so far this week so plan to have a binge this afternoon. Was too busy fighting the ground elder apocalypse in the garden! The raised veg bed is almost back to normal after sifting thru every ounce of soil pulling out the elder root system.

In fact I'm thinking it would make a great war-based video game ....The Elder Soils

I can see it now - clans of Dandilions, Clovers, Ivy having turf wars...