Author Topic: Favourite Authors  (Read 894 times)

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
Favourite Authors
« on: March 22, 2015, 06:03:01 pm »
Not the same as the book recommendations thread, this is the place to tell us about your favourite author/s. What makes them so readable, how prolific they are, maybe a list of their work etc
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:28:08 am by Gatecon »
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
Re: Favourite Authors
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2015, 09:17:36 am »
Lisa See
Snow Flower and the Secret Fan
Shanghai Girls

Amy Tan
Anything she has written, but my favorite is Saving Fish From Drowning

I enjoy them because of the way they convey sense of place and character - and philosophy.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 09:19:38 am by Selkii »
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 11:12:10 am »
Previous favorite authors:
William Gibson - Arguably the father of the cyberpunk genre.  If you mention it to him, he'll argue with you. ;)  I enjoyed his Sprawl and Bridge trilogies.  I hadn't realized that there was a Blue Ant trilogy.  I couldn't get into The Difference Engine and stopped reading his works.

David Weber - Horatio Hornblower in Space, I mean the Honor Harrington series.  I enjoyed his earlier works.  The more recent work has devolved into Exposition theater.  In case you didn't get it before, he has another set of characters telling what happened.  It's bad enough when you get it in movies and TV shows, worse when a book gives it to you.  Even worse, in the last book of his I read, a pivotal plot point was discovered by the protagonists by magic.  It was not a Deus Ex-Machima moment.  It was a I wrote myself into a corner and can't figure out how to get out of it without magically giving someone insight that he could never have otherwise gotten.  (It was worse than Harry forgetting to open Sirius's gift.  Pinning for father figure and suddenly you have a god-father whose gift you forget to open??  Ask a child of the appropriate age, see if they would neglect to open the gift.)

Current Favorites:
Jim Butcher's Dresden Files : I got into it within the last couple of years.  One of the few books consistently written from a first person perspective.

Neil Gaiman : Pretty much anything he writes.  My initial exposure to his writting was from Good Omens, co-authored with Terry Pratchett.  I didn't look into other books by him until watching the BBC's production of Neverwhere on PBS.  I looked into more information about the series, found the book and rediscovered Neil Gaiman.  From there it was Stardust, American Gods, Anansi Boys, Coraline and the Graveyard Book.  I never did go and pick up the comics that he wrote, Sandman was one of them, though.

Less a favorite author, more of a favored setting.  I've been following all the fluff novellas and short stories set in Privateer Press's Iron Kingdoms.  Steampunk adventures sent in another world.  ;D
« Last Edit: April 02, 2015, 11:23:18 am by wilyone »

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: Rusty Tin Can
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2015, 10:42:07 pm »
Arthur Hailey, Robin Cook, Elizabeth Haynes. - read all the books by these 3 and enjoy that they use real life information on fictional stories. Robin specializes in Medical, Elizabeth specializes in Crime and Arthur does everything
Terry Brooks - enjoyed the Sword of Shannara series then lost some interest in the others. Really enjoyed his Magic Kingdom for Sale/Sold series though, I use to have the actural books, but only have him on my Kindle now. The Magic Kingdom is light fantasy and pretty good

I have others, but I will have to do this another time as I have a serious date with a Hot Tub for a week and must get ready :-)