Author Topic: The Book or the Movie?  (Read 1527 times)

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
The Book or the Movie?
« on: March 22, 2015, 06:01:09 pm »
Have you read a great book then been let down when they turn it into a movie? Or has a certain movie from the book met and surpassed your expectations?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:28:53 am by Gatecon »
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

SnowMani

• “Beyond Help”
    • View Profile
  • Device: Rusty Tin Can
Re: The Book or the Movie?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2015, 07:33:48 pm »
I'm a huge fan of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books. I really liked the Lord of the Rings movies as well as the first Hobbit movie. Yes they were different to the books, but the changes were in keeping with the spirit of the books. However I was disappointed by the second Hobbit movie. It lost so much of the fun and charm and wit that's in the book. It had its good moments but overall it rambled off on strange tangents and even lost Bilbo as the central character! So I waited until the third Hobbit movie was released on DVD before seeing it. It was even worse. I struggled through it and was left feeling very disappointed. It is evident that Peter Jackson and company indulged themselves and took the story way off from the original book. A real shame.
Today's signature is a sponsored announcement from  Bankai44:
"He practically lives here and doesn't bathe, can you guess who?"

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2015, 09:22:01 am »
I'm a huge fan of The Hobbit and Lord of the Rings books. I really liked the Lord of the Rings movies as well as the first Hobbit movie. Yes they were different to the books, but the changes were in keeping with the spirit of the books. However I was disappointed by the second Hobbit movie. It lost so much of the fun and charm and wit that's in the book. It had its good moments but overall it rambled off on strange tangents and even lost Bilbo as the central character! So I waited until the third Hobbit movie was released on DVD before seeing it. It was even worse. I struggled through it and was left feeling very disappointed. It is evident that Peter Jackson and company indulged themselves and took the story way off from the original book. A real shame.

Totally agree.
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Dragonflygirl25

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Dragonflyfairygirl
  • Plus+: Dragonflygirl25
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 06:43:04 am »
Me too.
~Janet~ 

* please PM me before sending a friend request:)

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 11:15:26 am »
Found "Girl With the Dragon Tattoo" books and movies equally satisfying, both English and Swedish versions.

Although a TV series rather than a movie, I find the Swedish version of the Kurt Wallander books better than the BBC/Kenneth Branagh interpretation. Branagh seems to have gone for the Swedish morose stereotype rather than the Wallander described in Mankell's books.
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain