Author Topic: To Read or Not To Read - the recommendations thread  (Read 3721 times)

Snookiecasula

• Dragon Slayer
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 9.7
  • Game Center: Snookiecasula
  • Plus+: Snookiecasula
Re: To Read or Not To Read - the recommendations thread
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2015, 12:14:20 am »
Selkii, I hope you're recovering nicely. :)

I just finished readingThe Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo. Fabulous read! I couldn't put it down. 👍👍

Book Description
Release date: August 5, 2014 | Series: P.S.
Yangsze Choo’s stunning debut, The Ghost Bride, is a startlingly original novel infused with Chinese folklore, romantic intrigue, and unexpected supernatural twists.

Li Lan, the daughter of a respectable Chinese family in colonial Malaysia, hopes for a favorable marriage, but her father has lost his fortune, and she has few suitors. Instead, the wealthy Lim family urges her to become a “ghost bride” for their son, who has recently died under mysterious circumstances. Rarely practiced, a traditional ghost marriage is used to placate a restless spirit. Such a union would guarantee Li Lan a home for the rest of her days, but at what price?

Night after night, Li Lan is drawn into the shadowy parallel world of the Chinese afterlife, where she must uncover the Lim family’s darkest secrets—and the truth about her own family.

Reminiscent of Lisa See’s Peony in Love and Amy Tan’s The Bonesetter’s Daughter, The Ghost Bride is a wondrous coming-of-age story and from a remarkable new voice in fiction.

Playing Clash of Kings K#1036, SuperCity and Animal Crossing.

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2015, 11:37:20 pm »
Highly recommend a quirky and totally enjoyable book I just finished reading, "The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant." The plot centers on an introvert accountant recently turned vampire who fights evil monsters with his non-vampire girlfriend. I really didn't want the book to end.

I downloaded it FREE in Kindle format from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.ca/Utterly-Uninteresting-Unadventurous-Vampire-Accountant-ebook/dp/B00M6AM6Q8
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: Rusty Tin Can
« Reply #32 on: August 26, 2015, 03:20:05 am »
in the process of downloading now....

ohmaaannn... I am not going to want to do any kind of housework ever again!!
Frankenstein (hopefully), this book, several 'free' books from Crime Festival a month ago, other books I have recently purchased, other downloaded books yet to read...
Happy Street (2 streets), Mini-Pets, messing around on Face Book and this Forum...

*grins happily*  yup, life is good right now except for my friend still missing - 6 weeks last Saturday :-( 

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #33 on: August 26, 2015, 05:04:35 am »
Also just downloaded it.

You probably already know Selkii but if you need some more Fred fix, there's the sequel Undeath and Taxes....though not free at the moment.
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: ninja12129
  • Plus+: Ninja12129
« Reply #34 on: August 26, 2015, 12:44:43 pm »
Everything is free...if you know where to look ;). I'll see if I can find it tonight.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 12:47:43 pm by Ninja12129 »

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2015, 01:54:48 pm »
Also just downloaded it.

You probably already know Selkii but if you need some more Fred fix, there's the sequel Undeath and Taxes....though not free at the moment.

Yep, I noticed, but am waiting for Ninja to send me the free link  ::) ;D

Truthfully, I already own so many books I want to read, I kind of hold off buying new ones...though, Fred may end up being the exception.

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2015, 02:45:58 pm »
Just read the first four chapters of The U U and U Tales of Fred and am hooked already.

Dollybelle

• Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: Dolly*u*
« Reply #37 on: August 26, 2015, 03:02:37 pm »

I just finished readingThe Ghost Bride by Yangsze Choo. Fabulous read! I couldn't put it down. 👍👍

Book Description
Release date: August 5, 2014 | Series: P.S.
Yangsze Choo’s stunning debut, The Ghost Bride, is a startlingly original novel infused with Chinese folklore, romantic intrigue, and unexpected supernatural twists.

Reminiscent of Lisa See’s Peony in Love and Amy Tan’s The Bonesetter’s Daughter, The Ghost Bride is a wondrous coming-of-age story and from a remarkable new voice in fiction.

Enjoyed the Ghost Bride though it may appeal to a smaller audience. Hope there will be a sequel.

Interesting to see it was an Oprah pick, though it was recommended by one of the last great indie brick and mortar book stores in my area, also current hometown of the author.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 03:06:57 pm by Dollybelle »
Blue crystals. Level 59

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 26, 2015, 04:13:55 pm »
Highly recommend a quirky and totally enjoyable book I just finished reading, "The Utterly Uninteresting and Unadventurous Tales of Fred, the Vampire Accountant." The plot centers on an introvert accountant recently turned vampire who fights evil monsters with his non-vampire girlfriend. I really didn't want the book to end.

I downloaded it FREE in Kindle format from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.ca/Utterly-Uninteresting-Unadventurous-Vampire-Accountant-ebook/dp/B00M6AM6Q8

Just wondering if I've sussed the title....Fred is the opposite of dead, he is undead. So am wondering if his life, (or unlife), is going to be the opposite of uninteresting and unadventurous

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2015, 10:30:51 am »

Just wondering if I've sussed the title....Fred is the opposite of dead, he is undead. So am wondering if his life, (or unlife), is going to be the opposite of uninteresting and unadventurous

I un-worry about you sometimes.  :o