Author Topic: To Read or Not To Read - the recommendations thread  (Read 3728 times)

Snookiecasula

• Dragon Slayer
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 9.7
  • Game Center: Snookiecasula
  • Plus+: Snookiecasula
Re: To Read or Not To Read - the recommendations thread
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2015, 11:29:02 pm »
So the first book is now called Cross Stitch? ??? Used to be just plain Outlander. Can't wait to see what all your thoughts are on the book. Are you guys planning to read them all or just the first?
Playing Clash of Kings K#1036, SuperCity and Animal Crossing.

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: Rusty Tin Can
« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2015, 11:47:26 pm »
first off Snookiecasula, can I just say I LOVE ANIMAL!!!!   I even tried taking up the drums as he is such a hero of mine :-)

ok, being lazy here now, how many books are there in the series - I usually like reading the whole series if they are good. I use to read Robert Jordon Wheel of Time (?) but by the eighth book it was getting a little too hard to get into. The same with Terry Brooks' Shanara series, read the first 6 if memory serves, then I felt it was just too repetative :-)

I don't know if all the series of Outlander is read or not :-)

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2015, 06:13:45 am »
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

Snookiecasula

• Dragon Slayer
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 9.7
  • Game Center: Snookiecasula
  • Plus+: Snookiecasula
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2015, 07:37:05 pm »
Groc, I LOVE Animal too! My most favorite muppet! :D I have not read any of those other books you mentioned. While I loved the Outlander series, it's not going to be everybody's cup of tea.
Playing Clash of Kings K#1036, SuperCity and Animal Crossing.

SnowMani

• “Beyond Help”
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2015, 11:10:14 pm »
I was browsing online and slected a book totally at random. It turned out to be a very good read. I'm still a bit surprised by that! Lol  ;D Apparently I'm not the only one who likes it as its being made into a film later this year. The book is by M R Carey. The book is called "The Girl With All The Gifts".  It's a post apocalyptic zombie story. But not like the usual zombie B grade stories. And it's not the undead come to life type zombies either. The book is written from mainly from the perspective of a young girl and what happened in the past, and what's happening then and there in the story is slowly revealed to both the girl and to the reader. Check it out if you get the chance.
Today's signature is a sponsored announcement from  Bankai44:
"He practically lives here and doesn't bathe, can you guess who?"

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2015, 04:27:38 pm »
I'm headed for knee replacement surgery on Monday and not sure what condition I'll be in over the next 2 weeks given what the surgeon has told me (geez, they like to put the fear in you!) - but, I have the first 6 of the Outlander series on CD (ancient, never read, but can convert to mp3). I can only imagine I will be able to at least listen to books! Am hesitant to commit, but if it is okay with everyone else, I will try.

Also, I will be offline for at least most of next week because of this !@#$% knee and the pain killers  :o .

If you change the book, though...

Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2015, 10:47:40 pm »
Good Luck with the knee replacement, having broken a small bone in the back of my knee, I can relate to the pain - although probably not what you may go through - the swelling is pretty cool though and it's been over 2 years!!

I hope you can join in, it may take your mind of the discomfort/pain and depending on the pain killers and your tolerance to them, hopefully you won't be out too much (I still take co-codemal 30/500 or Tylenol #3 to North America)

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2015, 12:54:35 am »
Selkii I'll add you to the list taking part and all the best for the op. Please let us know how things are going when you can.
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

SueSue530

• “Cat Herder”
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: SueSue530
  • Plus+: SueSue530
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2015, 03:51:40 am »
Selkii, all the best for your surgery. 
Plus ID/Game Center ID: SueSue530

Playing DragonVale World.

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: ninja12129
  • Plus+: Ninja12129
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2015, 07:58:53 am »
Hope it all goes well Selkii and rest up :).

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2015, 12:08:44 pm »
Thanks, all!

Now, to get back on topic...are we reading Outlander? Have you guys started? How far in is everyone? (getting up to speed before the Great Slowdown).

BTW, yesterday I was told not to bring anything of value to the hospital, specifically my iPad or iPhone (with its newly installed Outlander mp3's) even though I get a private room (it's a brand new facility, so I lucked out in that department). I was told I'd be too busy with PT or drugged up to want any of those. Yeah, right! Schweetie Pie has strict instructions to have those items by my bedside when I regain consciousness. More worried about that than the surgery, so you know where my priorities lie! My first question when I found out which hospital was...is there wifi? ;D

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Groc

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2015, 12:29:55 am »
Now, to get back on topic...are we reading Outlander? Have you guys started? How far in is everyone? (getting up to speed before the Great Slowdown).

Yes, we are doing Outlander. It is called Outlander Cross Stitch in the UK.
We start reding the first 3 chapters on Monday June 1 and will report/post our thoughts on Monday June 8th to begin the discussion

BTW, yesterday I was told not to bring anything of value to the hospital, specifically my iPad or iPhone (with its newly installed Outlander mp3's) even though I get a private room (it's a brand new facility, so I lucked out in that department). I was told I'd be too busy with PT or drugged up to want any of those. Yeah, right! Schweetie Pie has strict instructions to have those items by my bedside when I regain consciousness. More worried about that than the surgery, so you know where my priorities lie! My first question when I found out which hospital was...is there wifi? ;D

Wifi MUST be found first and foremost whether in hospital or holidays LOL.  Good luck with the recovery!

SnowMani

• “Beyond Help”
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2015, 09:21:56 pm »
Hi Selkii - Best wishes for the surgery and your recovery. Hope you'll be feeling well enough to listen to the audio version of book. Even if you find yourself a bit behind our pace, don't let that stop you contributing! :)
Today's signature is a sponsored announcement from  Bankai44:
"He practically lives here and doesn't bathe, can you guess who?"

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 31, 2015, 09:11:47 am »
Thanks for the encouragement, Snowmani! As Arnold said, "I vill be back!"

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
« Reply #29 on: June 01, 2015, 09:49:38 am »

I hope you have a speedy recovery Selkii.  My hospital stay was not conducive to doing anything than sitting there in a daze.  The haze from the anesthesia plus the pain meds were not doing happy things to my sleep rhythm.  the recovery period at home was more of the same.  Hopefully it will be better for you.  Then again, you have the book on CD to listen to so it should be fine.  :D  (I couldn't actually keep my eyes focused on a screen for more 10 seconds.  Reading anything that was not on paper had not been possible until a few days ago.  Co-incidentally, that was when I started sleeping more than an hour at a time too.) 

For those that want to know what I went in for:
Spoiler for Hiden:
I went in for septioplasty in the middle of the month and just spent the last 2 weeks in recovery.  The doctors highly recommended the surgery since my right nostril was 90% obstructed and my sleep apnea was getting worse.