Author Topic: Poldark  (Read 2084 times)

grapey

• Pirates Beta
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 4
  • Game Center: GrapeyKW
Poldark
« on: March 18, 2015, 11:03:41 am »
I've been waiting a while for this show to start airing and it looks like the first couple of episodes have aired by now, though I've not quite caught them yet.  In the process of acquiring them at the moment.  Has anyone else watched it?  Impressions?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3636060/?ref_=wl_li_tt
Currently playing Happy Street, The Tribez & Castlez, The Tribez.

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
Re: Poldark
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2015, 11:16:06 am »
Yep this is the show I was sent to try and get a photo of during filming. The house used for Poldark's uncle's house is near here (and about 300 miles away from Cornwall, so it's VERY clever how they leave the house and minutes later reach the Cornish coast on horseback hehe

It's good entertainment. My ancestors are from Cornwall so that makes it a bit more interesting to watch. My surname cropped up...the same as Poldark's banker haha.
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

grapey

• Pirates Beta
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2015, 11:52:38 am »
About to sit down and watch the first episode.  Fingers crossed. 

I'm sure there's added interest for you because of your family history.  Neat stuff.   :)

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2015, 01:28:57 pm »
Not due here until June and so looking forward to it. Wolf Hall premieres in April. With Downtown Abbey in hiatus, I need my fix. I just discovered the actress who played Demelza in 1970 1975, Angharad Rees, died in 2012. We were so in love with her spunky-ness, I hope Eleanor Tomlinson can live up to the role.
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

grapey

• Pirates Beta
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 01:36:21 pm »
Really enjoyed the first episode of Poldark.  Of course, hoping he can turn things around, what's the point otherwise?   ;D   Still, I guess the struggle is where the show is at and what will keep us watching.  Very lush and lovely countryside.  Would love a house with the kind of view they have at the cliffs overlooking the sea.

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2015, 02:15:42 pm »
Really enjoyed the first episode of Poldark.  Of course, hoping he can turn things around, what's the point otherwise?   ;D   Still, I guess the struggle is where the show is at and what will keep us watching.  Very lush and lovely countryside.  Would love a house with the kind of view they have at the cliffs overlooking the sea.

Once I looked into real estate in Cornwall. Too expensive for what I'd want!

Have you ever read the books? I used to have the whole series (6 books? can't remember), but have no idea where they went to. The old TV series followed the books exactly, but knowing what was going to happen didn't spoil it for me. Now I look at the old VCR tapes and wonder at the difference between yesterday's audio/video technology and today's, as well as acting methods.

Have you seen the Doc Martin series filmed in Cornwall? The town is also a backdrop to the original Poldark. And, if you like that romantic, seaside, history vibe, (and like old movies) see if you can get a copy of "The Ghost and Mrs. Muir" (1947) with Gene Tierney and Rex Harrison (I haven't read the book).

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2015, 04:09:28 pm »
Yes Doc Martin's town Portwenn is Port Isaac in real life. It was already a popular place before the show but now it gets swamped with DocFans!

Keep an eye out for Robin Ellis, the original Poldark, who crops up in the new series.
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2015, 08:41:59 pm »

Keep an eye out for Robin Ellis, the original Poldark, who crops up in the new series.

Does he play The Ghost of Poldarks Past? Ah, I see he is now a reverend. Quite a switch.

Arleen316

• Noble
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: ArleenBlack
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2015, 04:03:24 pm »
I read the Poldark series, I didn't know they had made a new series from it- I'll have to check it out. My fathers family is from Cornwall, and I am always fascinated with books set there.
Currently playing Township and The Talos Principle and Animal Crossing Pocket Camp

grapey

• Pirates Beta
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 01:02:02 pm »
Well, series 1 has now ended.  Bit of a cliffhanger of course.   ::)   Can't wait til series 2.  I hope it's not too long of a wait.

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2015, 09:27:55 am »
Well, series 1 has now ended.  Bit of a cliffhanger of course.   ::)   Can't wait til series 2.  I hope it's not too long of a wait.

That's right...rub it in that we distant cousins must always wait months, if not years, for the good stuff (i.e., British productions) to hit our shores. This is a nostalgic favorite of mine, so am impatient!

grapey

• Pirates Beta
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2015, 09:50:51 am »
I have to admit, Poldark being as handsome as he is, might have played a small role in my love of the show.   :-[   lol   ;D

In any case, it was pretty good.  I would have had to wait too if I was trying to watch it on tv.  I watched it on my computer, so was not forced to wait.   But, for those waiting, I think it's worth it.   :)

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2015, 09:10:27 pm »
Sunday, June 21, Poldark finally comes to PBS. My DVR is set, hoping this will break the awful TV drought.

grapey

• Pirates Beta
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2016, 11:06:55 pm »
Any adverts yet saying when season two might air?  IMDB shows no dates of course.  I know the UK does things a bit different schedule wise and we here in the States might miss any announcements.

ukhippo

• View Profile
  • Device: iPad 3
  • Game Center: ukhippo
  • Plus+: ukhippo
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2016, 03:21:44 am »
According to DigitalSpy, the series only finished filming in March and will air in the autumn.
ukhippo - Missing the super-duper Supernauts🙁
Currently playing Farm Away! and Build Away!

On hiatus: Pixel People and Star Wars Tiny Death Star
No longer playing: The Tribez, My Singing Monsters, Happy Street, Puzzle Craft