Author Topic: Trips and Vacations  (Read 27387 times)

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
Re: Trips and Vacations
« Reply #540 on: November 21, 2016, 08:26:22 pm »
My first Oktoberfest was in Heidelberg. That photo brought back fond memories... or at least it would if I could remember anything from that night (something about a stemmed goldfish bowl - I kid you not - of raspberry Bessen Jenever mixed into beer, drunk - appropriate word - through a straw, chased  by an Uber Barf).  :o
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #541 on: November 22, 2016, 11:05:44 am »
Please tell me they took the goldfish out first ;)
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: November 22, 2016, 01:41:39 pm »
Please tell me they took the goldfish out first ;)
Do you think I can remember?! There used to be German beer hall called The Lorelei on 86th St in NY, complete with dark oak, heavily carved walls and lots of antlers. I loved going there on dates. Then there were the annual trips to Holland with hops over the border to northern Germany. Ah, those were the days. Wish I could remember most of them.

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
« Reply #543 on: January 06, 2017, 06:30:47 pm »

Visiting the ice sculptures at Moody Gardens is becoming a regular thing for me it seems.  I don't care how cool it might be, $15 to drink a shot of vodka in a shot glass made of ice is just not worth it.  Especially when it is 9F with a who know how cold wind chill. 

On the other hand, the Christmas tree in the corner of the bar was nice.  Pity I don't have that shot on my phone. 

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #544 on: January 07, 2017, 12:06:15 am »

Visiting the ice sculptures at Moody Gardens is becoming a regular thing for me it seems.  I don't care how cool it might be, $15 to drink a shot of vodka in a shot glass made of ice is just not worth it.  Especially when it is 9F with a who know how cold wind chill. 

On the other hand, the Christmas tree in the corner of the bar was nice.  Pity I don't have that shot on my phone.

There is an error in the link, so the photo does not show up. Had to do a copy 'n paste of the correct bit to get it.

Fifteen bucks in a deep freezer?! Nope, not me! I like my vodka cold and my body warm.

Edit: so now it is turning up. Did you fix it behind my back?  ::)

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: January 07, 2017, 12:10:42 am »
Talking about Oktoberfests got me all nostalgic so I've chosen a German restaurant to celebrate my birthday on Sunday. Sadly, they don't have my goldfish bowl of beer and raspberry schnapps. Since I'll be driving, maybe that's a good thing.  :o

SueSue530

• “Cat Herder”
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: SueSue530
  • Plus+: SueSue530
« Reply #546 on: January 09, 2017, 05:19:12 am »
Talking about Oktoberfests got me all nostalgic so I've chosen a German restaurant to celebrate my birthday on Sunday. Sadly, they don't have my goldfish bowl of beer and raspberry schnapps. Since I'll be driving, maybe that's a good thing.  :o

Hope your had a terrific birthday celebration!
Plus ID/Game Center ID: SueSue530

Playing DragonVale World.

SueSue530

• “Cat Herder”
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: SueSue530
  • Plus+: SueSue530
« Reply #547 on: January 09, 2017, 05:21:55 am »

I'm ashamed to say that I've never been down to Moody Gardens to see the ice sculptures.  I need to get that on my list for next year!
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 05:23:48 am by SueSue530 »
Plus ID/Game Center ID: SueSue530

Playing DragonVale World.

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: January 09, 2017, 02:17:39 pm »
This year was a Caribbean Cruise theme.  Next year is a rainforest theme.  When they originally unveiled this, it was a Sponge Bob theme. 

Since they are actively cooling the "tent", the windchill makes it even worse.  You probably want to see it earlier in the afternoon when the crowds are thinner.  I recall it being packed on the weekends.  Weekdays, it wasn't as bad. 

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #549 on: January 09, 2017, 03:13:52 pm »
This year was a Caribbean Cruise theme.  Next year is a rainforest theme.  When they originally unveiled this, it was a Sponge Bob theme. 

Since they are actively cooling the "tent", the windchill makes it even worse.  You probably want to see it earlier in the afternoon when the crowds are thinner.  I recall it being packed on the weekends.  Weekdays, it wasn't as bad.

But, if you go when it is crowded, couldn't you use the other people as wind barriers?  ::)

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #550 on: January 09, 2017, 05:01:48 pm »

But, if you go when it is crowded, couldn't you use the other people as wind barriers?  ::)

They don't block the wind chill quite as well as you would imagine.  However, they do act as a really great way to block an "interesting" shot. ;)