Author Topic: Trips and Vacations  (Read 27440 times)

zombellayaya

• “Dedicated MoFart”
    • View Profile
    • Galleries for M-F Photo Challenges:)
  • Device: iPad 3
  • Game Center: zombellayaya
  • Plus+: zombellayaya
Re: Trips and Vacations
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2013, 07:49:51 pm »
That was a very cool history lesson Ninja! Thanks :)

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: ninja12129
  • Plus+: Ninja12129
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2013, 08:17:08 pm »
Interesting photos, Ninja-san. Reminds me of my Grandfather's rubber tree farm, because the process is a bit similar with rubber tapping - except the latex is inedible.

And, cute little ninjas! >_<

Thank you Kiki :)

He'll love it. We also took a horse drawn hay ride through the maple forest, fed the farm animals at the petting area and got the oldest on a pony ride. Not sure how busy it gets in your area HC, but we went at 9am and around 12-1pm the place was packed. This is why I don't take them anywhere unless we're the first ones there ;D. As a result of me having days off during the week, as opposed to weekends, I HATE waiting in line and bumping into people. I also try to plan our trips midweek when things are quiet. Once they're both in school though, that won't be an option and I'll have to suffer with all other parents during the weekend rushes >:( ;) ;D.

There are only a few maple farms in this area. Most of them are more north/northwest up toward Vermont. The one we are going to has a tour at noon so we will go early and putter around then do the tour before I pack him up and haul him home in the hopes that he will nap!

Ahhhh...nap time. I miss those days ;D Enjoy them while you can ;)

Ninja, that was very cool. Thank you for sharing. We have no maple trees here.

That was a very cool history lesson Ninja! Thanks :)

Thanks snookie and Zombe. Believe me, I learned a lot on this little excursion as well. I had no clue about any of it but the guide was excellent at explaining things to the little ones...and me :o ;D

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2013, 08:44:25 pm »
I loved your maple collection story! It reminded me of my niece taking me to Clyde's Cider Mill in Old Mystic, Connecticut, Nov. 2010, where they have been making the stuff since 1881. It is the best apple cider I have ever had. We bought several bottles for Thanksgiving dinner along with a potent apple wine made with blackberries. You can't drink it anywhere near an open flame!

Exterior of building built in 1898

Long view of the press

The apples are turned into a mash in the attic and delivered to the press via a chute

Then wrapped in huge sheets, a pallet placed on top, sheet, mash, pallet, repeat until 3 to 5 stacks

The whole thing is on a turn table which is rotated manually. The newly wrapped mash is under the press on the right; the old pallets are now on the left. You can see the difference in the height of the pressed vs. unpressed.

The old mash is folded up and removed on ancient flatbeds. I don't know what they do with it (animal fodder?), but I was thinking what great apple bread I could make from it.

This is the original engine, put into service in 1898

The apple juice is collected in a vat between the two halves of the press, moved into oak casks and fermented for up to 3 years. I wish I could "post" the fragrances of that building. The wood floors smelled good enough to eat!

I couldn't take photos of the interior of the shop because it was wall-to-wall people. We also bought apple cider doughnuts to die for! I still dream of them.
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

iMaiden

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: imaidenphone
  • Plus+: iMaiden
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2013, 09:29:35 pm »
Yum, yum, yum, yum ... and YUM!  :)
Goodbye We Rule!

iMaiden

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: imaidenphone
  • Plus+: iMaiden
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2013, 09:34:16 pm »
Cider Man, Cider Man,
Friendly neighborhood Cider Man,
Presses apples in a vice,
Makes his cider spiced just right.
Look out!
He's the Cider Man

Edit: I loved the story Selkii. I've even shared it already. I'm just in a goofy mood ... Living with a toddler will do that to you.  :P ;D
« Last Edit: March 14, 2013, 09:53:27 pm by iMaiden »
Goodbye We Rule!

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2013, 09:42:13 pm »
I'm a sucker for all things old and ancient. Love the century old engine pic Selkii.

LOL@ cider man iM ;D

jjfatcat

• "Super Golden Shower Freak"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2013, 10:39:44 pm »
Ninja - what a fun excursion and lesson for all of the ninjas and great pictures to boot! I haven't had real maple syrup in ages, not because I'm settling for the fake stuff, it's more of, sleeping until the last possible moment and stopping for coffee at my neighborhood coffee shop in the mornings.

Selkii - sigh, apple wine, apple doughnuts, they sound delicious. Rumble, rumble, my tummy is mad at me for not having any of that.

Both of you provided such wonderful narratives to go with your pictures.

Supernauts, Word Chums

hivechild

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Android username: tuathla
  • Game Center: hivechild
  • Plus+: hivechild
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2013, 06:01:06 am »
Selkii, that looks awesome too! I foresee a weekend trip away this Fall since Mystic isn't too far from us! There is a local bakery here that makes to die for apple cider donuts too. They have a stand at the farmer's markets and sell out so quick!
Please PM me before sending a request through GC or Android so I know who you are! Thanks. :)
 "Puddy cat, puddy cat, what do you hear, to cause that irrational twitch of your ear?" 
"I hear the lullaby Mother cat croons, to the play-weary kittens on Jupiter's moon."

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2013, 07:39:50 am »
I'm a sucker for all things old and ancient.

Aww you're very kind Jim
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2013, 07:57:24 am »
I'm a sucker for all things old and ancient.

Aww you're very kind Jim

LOL

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2013, 11:23:27 am »
Cider Man, Cider Man,
Friendly neighborhood Cider Man,
Presses apples in a vice,
Makes his cider spiced just right.
Look out!
He's the Cider Man

Edit: I loved the story Selkii. I've even shared it already. I'm just in a goofy mood ... Living with a toddler will do that to you.  :P ;D
The fact that you can even joke about it should give you hope for a full recovery.  :o

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2013, 11:27:17 am »
Selkii, that looks awesome too! I foresee a weekend trip away this Fall since Mystic isn't too far from us! There is a local bakery here that makes to die for apple cider donuts too. They have a stand at the farmer's markets and sell out so quick!
I'll probably be in Connecticut this November. Wouldn't it be cool to hook up and share apple cider and doughnuts? It may be Spring (soon), but I have an itch to start frying up cinnamon apple ring beignets.

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2013, 06:19:45 am »
A Night at the Museum

Went to the dinosaur exhibit, with Ms. Ninja and the kids, at the Royal Ontario Museum and I must say, totally worth the price of admission. At the same time, I'm glad March break is over cause I'm exhausted ;D. This was my first dinosaur experience and I was pleasantly surprised. I found myself imagining what it must've been like with these creatures roaming the earth. No history lesson here, just pics:

hivechild

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2013, 07:14:30 am »
I'll probably be in Connecticut this November. Wouldn't it be cool to hook up and share apple cider and doughnuts? It may be Spring (soon), but I have an itch to start frying up cinnamon apple ring beignets.
It would be! you'll have to let me know when you're coming, although Nov is late in the season, but not too late I don't think. Most places are open through Thanksgiving.
Please PM me before sending a request through GC or Android so I know who you are! Thanks. :)
 "Puddy cat, puddy cat, what do you hear, to cause that irrational twitch of your ear?" 
"I hear the lullaby Mother cat croons, to the play-weary kittens on Jupiter's moon."

hivechild

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2013, 07:15:34 am »
Neat dinosaur exhibit, Ninja! I bet you're glad to see the tail end of the kids after all that fun. How exhausting!