Author Topic: Trips and Vacations  (Read 27388 times)

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
Trips and Vacations
« on: February 21, 2013, 03:24:00 pm »
We all enjoy seeing photos from fellow members who have been off on their travels. Feel free to tell us about your adventures he - with photos of course!
« Last Edit: April 03, 2015, 05:57:48 am by Gatecon »
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

Ingrid

• Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: cocogreige
  • Plus+: Jih1005
Re: Trips and Vacations
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2013, 01:20:35 pm »
Here is a shot from Namibia....who on this forum doesn't like a little kittie-cat? The focus is a little off, but oh well!

(BTW...what is the best app to resize the pics?  I will post more when I can shrink down the size a bit ;)

iMaiden

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: imaidenphone
  • Plus+: iMaiden
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 01:23:13 pm »
What a beautiful animal. Thanks for sharing.
Goodbye We Rule!

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2013, 01:25:43 pm »
Fantastic shot. Very atmospheric.

I use either PS Touch or Filterstorm for resizing on the iPad.

Take a look at the Apps thread for more possibilities

http://mojo-farm.com/forum/index.php?topic=3352.0

zombellayaya

• “Dedicated MoFart”
    • View Profile
    • Galleries for M-F Photo Challenges:)
  • Device: iPad 3
  • Game Center: zombellayaya
  • Plus+: zombellayaya
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2013, 02:28:21 pm »
What BEAUTY! You must've shot 100's of photos on that trip! What fun!!

jjfatcat

• "Super Golden Shower Freak"
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2013, 02:44:31 pm »
Ingrid, what a magnificent shot. You've teased us with that regal cheetah. Can't wait to see some of your others pictures!

Supernauts, Word Chums

Ingrid

• Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: cocogreige
  • Plus+: Jih1005
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 05:36:12 pm »
Thanks! Once I resize a few, I'll continue to share :). Unfortunately, I do have an editing problem (as in I don't edit) so I do have hundreds (thousands in fact), but I'll just post a handful of my favorites :)

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: ninja12129
  • Plus+: Ninja12129
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2013, 01:56:41 pm »
Nothing too exotic, but a return to nature, something our kids living in the city don't get too see often enough.

Being March break we decided to do something outdoors since the weather was going to be a balmy -1C ;D. We took a trip to a nearby maple farm, seeing as its one of our more famous exports to the rest of the world. I never knew how they actually made the maple syrup we use (not the fake table syrup) and we figured the kids would enjoy it as well. Learned a lot about the history of maple syrup. Here's a synopsis:

The Natives would go hunting in the woods, with bow an arrow, and from time to time they would miss their intended target in the woods. Naturally, some of the arrows would get stuck in the trees with the arrowheads broken inside the trunk. The Natives noticed animals would always be attracted to these parts of the trees and would end up licking the bark repeatedly. When the Natives investigated further, they found a clear liquid seeping from the tree for as long as the arrow was left behind. The clear liquid, I found out, is 97% water and 3% maple syrup. Initially, it tastes just like water, but if you taste it repeatedly, or in large amounts, there's a hint of something sweet in it.
So, they created buckets made of bark (on the left) to collect the sap:

The middle bucket is the improved version invented by the Pioneers and the bucket on the right is what they used up until a decade or so ago. Notice the little spout in-between the bucket and the lid:

Currently they use a system of pipes, that they connect together with a few trees, all using gravity to deliver the sap to one location:

Back to the Natives, they didn't have metal pots to boil and evaporate all the water so they got creative. They would hollow out a piece of tree trunk and place steaming hot rocks to evaporate the water and leave the sap behind. Tis would take days, so the built little camps around the trees and took shifts to keep it continuous. The log with the hollowed out center, to the right, would be their boiling pot:

As the Pioneers came around, the process was improved. The three cauldrons are always full of sap and again, with shift work, are continuously monitored. The pot on the left was always filled with pure sap. When it reached a certain colour it was ladled into the middle pot, which was a more pure form of syrup. When the middle pot reached a certain colour, it was ladled into the right pot, which was even closer to pure syrup. Once right pot reached the right consistency, the final product was removed and bottled. This ensured that all pots were always working, as opposed to doing each step individually. Genius! :

The different forms of sap, as it goes through each process. Notice the sugar content increasing as the water is evaporated at each step:

It takes 40 gallons of sap to make 1 gallon of pure, sweet, irresistible Canadian maple syrup....nomnomnom.  ;D

And here are the kids after 66% sugar for lunch ::) ;D

PS. $80/litre😱😄

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2013, 02:10:35 pm »
Is that you stirring the cauldron?
Good bit of education there...for us as well as your family.

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2013, 02:15:25 pm »
If it was me, the pot on the right would be empty. LOL

hivechild

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Android username: tuathla
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: hivechild
  • Plus+: hivechild
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2013, 02:30:34 pm »
Great pics, Ninja! I am taking the wee monkey to a maple farm this weekend too. We only use maple syrup at home (that fake stuff isn't allowed through the door). Funnily, he knows all about the process after watching Curious George!
Please PM me before sending a request through GC or Android so I know who you are! Thanks. :)
 "Puddy cat, puddy cat, what do you hear, to cause that irrational twitch of your ear?" 
"I hear the lullaby Mother cat croons, to the play-weary kittens on Jupiter's moon."

Ninja12129

• "George Dubya's Daddy"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2013, 02:51:16 pm »
He'll love it. We also took a horse drawn hay ride through the maple forest, fed the farm animals at the petting area and got the oldest on a pony ride. Not sure how busy it gets in your area HC, but we went at 9am and around 12-1pm the place was packed. This is why I don't take them anywhere unless we're the first ones there ;D. As a result of me having days off during the week, as opposed to weekends, I HATE waiting in line and bumping into people. I also try to plan our trips midweek when things are quiet. Once they're both in school though, that won't be an option and I'll have to suffer with all other parents during the weekend rushes >:( ;) ;D.

Rizuchan

• "RizUnicorn"
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
  • Android username: Rizuchan
  • Device: Android phone
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 03:00:00 pm »
Interesting photos, Ninja-san. Reminds me of my Grandfather's rubber tree farm, because the process is a bit similar with rubber tapping - except the latex is inedible.

And, cute little ninjas! >_<
☆BRING ALL SHEEPS TO THE YARD☆

ME AND MY SHEEP ARE HIBERNATING

hivechild

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Android username: tuathla
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: hivechild
  • Plus+: hivechild
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2013, 03:13:10 pm »
He'll love it. We also took a horse drawn hay ride through the maple forest, fed the farm animals at the petting area and got the oldest on a pony ride. Not sure how busy it gets in your area HC, but we went at 9am and around 12-1pm the place was packed. This is why I don't take them anywhere unless we're the first ones there ;D. As a result of me having days off during the week, as opposed to weekends, I HATE waiting in line and bumping into people. I also try to plan our trips midweek when things are quiet. Once they're both in school though, that won't be an option and I'll have to suffer with all other parents during the weekend rushes >:( ;) ;D.

There are only a few maple farms in this area. Most of them are more north/northwest up toward Vermont. The one we are going to has a tour at noon so we will go early and putter around then do the tour before I pack him up and haul him home in the hopes that he will nap!
Please PM me before sending a request through GC or Android so I know who you are! Thanks. :)
 "Puddy cat, puddy cat, what do you hear, to cause that irrational twitch of your ear?" 
"I hear the lullaby Mother cat croons, to the play-weary kittens on Jupiter's moon."

Snookiecasula

• Dragon Slayer
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 9.7
  • Game Center: Snookiecasula
  • Plus+: Snookiecasula
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2013, 07:21:13 pm »
Ninja, that was very cool. Thank you for sharing. We have no maple trees here.
Playing Clash of Kings K#1036, SuperCity and Animal Crossing.