• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
Apps
« on: February 21, 2013, 03:19:55 pm »

Looking for the best app to crop, resize, apply filters, store or manipulate your photos?

Ask here or share your favourites with us
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:46:53 pm by Gatecon »
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: Apps
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2013, 03:20:04 pm »
APPS
Info pasted from the main Apps thread, reviews of apps by members.

Kinotopic was the first one like this and game out at the beginning of this year; there's a FREE version and a Plus/paid version.  Then a month or so later another app called Cinemagram came out doing pretty much the same thing.  And I just looked up and this Flixel came out in March of this year (two months after Kinotopic).  I personally prefer Kinotopic since it was somewhat the first of it's kind (that and the devs got in contact with me thru email just randomly one day and was like, we noticed you were a early downloader of our app and want to gift to you the Plus/Pro version for free)...now that was awesome!  by Bankai

📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷

When you are painting on the image to indicate areas you want animated, Flixel shows you the animation while you are doing it, Kinotopic doesn't. This could be important if something is moving and happens to move a smidge outside the zone you paint, then it's good to see the animation while painting so you can be sure to scrub all the relevant portions.

Flixel, for me, has the more intuitive video capture method. One tap, one capture, moving on.

That said, Kinotopic allows you to edit the video clip, something I wish Flixel had. One animation I made had an overly long lag on one end, and a little editing could have made it just perfect.

Flixel has an icon that indicates how steady/jittery your camera is, which is nice when you want a rock-solid image with just a twitch of animation.  By Ballookey

📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷

Hipstamatic (I use a lot for my Project 365:)
PSTouch (has a long way to go, but still outdoes any other app when working with layers and selective controls)
Photogene (one of my 1st iOS photo editors and usually my GoTo for quick adjustments and resizing)
Snapseed (I love nik filters! This app was produced by same company and is heavily used on my iPad:)
3DCamera (get yourself a cheap, old fashioned pair of 3D glasses and have fun!)
PhotoSynth (produces images as close to tilt shift as I've seen)
PlayPicPost (pretty nifty, let's you create a Diptic-ish image that can include video too)
FlickrStudio (THE BEST Flickr app for iPad)      by Zombellayaya

📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷

My preferred camera apps are Camera+ and Camera Awesome.  I'd recommend them both and purchase the IAPs as well by Bankai

📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷

This is a favorite app of mine, in similarity of the panoramic apps, this is a 360° view creating app.  It's called SpinCam.  It price dropped to Free since March, so grab it while it's Free.

Description
Capture the moment in a 360° immersive 3D experience with SpinCam. Spin in place, or walk around in a circle, and SpinCam automatically creates an interactive spin for you to share via Facebook, Twitter, email, SMS, or web link. Spinning is super easy and takes less than 10 seconds to capture a special place or event.

SpinCam uses the gyroscope to work its magic, so you'll need an iPhone 4, 4S, iPod Touch, or iPad 2 to create spins.

With over 300,000 downloads in the first month, SpinCam's browsable recent stream contains spins from all over the world. Browse, like, and share, or get inspired to create your own.

Check out other people's SpinCam shares.... http://spincam.net/

Examples from the site - http://spincam.net/s/muze, http://spincam.net/s/66uo, http://spincam.net/s/89lj, http://spincam.net/s/a1v6

iTunes:  http://itunes.apple.com/app/spincam/id503987242?mt=8

Compatible with:  iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPod touch (4th generation), iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iPad 2 Wi-Fi + 3G, iPad (3rd generation) and iPad Wi-Fi + 4G.Requires iOS 5.0 or later. by Bankai

📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷

I mentioned KitCam in another thread as my new favorite photo app. It comes with a bunch of lens and film effects, and you can IAP to get more. Of course I just went all out and got them all.

I like the mechanism for selecting lenses and films to use much better than Hipstamatic. It was always a drawback to Hipstamatic that it was so fiddly to chose film and lenses, that by the time I got to take a picture and see what the results were, I never experimented much.

KitCam, on the other hand, has a live preview of what the effects will look like when combined. Whatever you're seeing on screen is what you will get, and you can scroll through lenses or filters and see the changes immediately.

My current favorite combo is
Accent lens
Coral film (though I also dig Midnight)
Arbus frame

The lens and film are the combo used in this image (wrong frame, though):

Puddle sky by ballookey, on Flickr

The other reason to get KitCam is for the Kaleidoscope lens and the Split lens.

Kaleidoscope does as it says on the tin and you can pinch to control how many radials or reflections are in your image. This lens can also be used with any of the films for even more custom looks.

Split lens just does a mirror image effect. You can flick the screen to change between horizontal or vertical and you can combine with other films and frames.

WARNING: THIS IS LIKE CRACK TO CHILDREN. Seriously.

by Ballookey

📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷

I read about Mosaic on Veerle Pieter's blog and was excited to try it out.

Mosaic is an app that makes a photo book out of your photos. Having it on the iPhone is handy - just open the app, select 20 photos you want in your book, and it does the rest. There isn't any designing or customizing options - you simply chose the photos. It creates a photo mosaic for the cover which you can shuffle randomly until you get a result you like, and you can choose black or white cover, but that's it.

The app is free, the book is $20, and shipping to my address added another $6. The book is 7" square (or about 18 cm).

I often lament that I wait too long to order photo prints, or books through iPhoto, and having this app on my phone makes ordering the books so easy that I can foresee ordering them every month or so, either filled with photos from a specific trip or event, or just with random personal favorites that have piled up on my phone.

I've ordered my first one, and once it arrives, I'll show it off and comment on the quality.

ETA: I cheated on my book - you must choose 20 photos, but I included a few Diptics made up of four or more photos to mix it up. :) Works great for low-resolution photos, or photos that maybe aren't the best quality but where you like the subject matter. Combine them in a Diptic. Sssh, don't tell.  by Ballookey

📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷

One more app I've been enjoying recently: Over HD

It's an app that allows you to add text on top of your photos, but it does it pretty darn well. It gives you a good variety of fonts to choose from including some of my current favorites such as Haymaker, Ribbon, Pacifico Script, and League Gothic. There's an IAP to unlock even more fonts, and it looks like there's some good ones in there, but I haven't felt the need yet. You can position the wording however you want including adjusting the alignment (left, right, or center).

The default type is white with a very very subtle and slight drop shadow that works well on most photos, but you can choose almost any color for your text. It also has a "tint" option that you can use to shade your background photo lighter or darker to make sure the text pops just the right amount. You can also adjust the size - the text can be quite small or large, so it's good for captioning photos before sending off to mom.

Once you've got it just right, you can save to your camera roll, e-mail, or of course share with all the usual social suspects.

I use the paid version ($2.00) but there is a free version that watermarks your photo.

Here's an example I made. I wanted to use my puddle photo as a wallpaper on my phone, and I like to have some text on my lock screen, so I added my theme word for 2013 (LOL) to the image with Over and then used the original image as my home background, and the text version as my lock screen image.

by Ballookey

📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷

Hey guys & dolls, I just happened upon a FABULOUS-seeming app this morning called Timebox

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/timebox-personal-history-archive/id538150047?mt=8&uo=4" target="itunes_store

Basically, it's a way to keep and organize photos and notes together in one place. There's an IAP for their own cloud service that will enable automatic syncing between devices and it keeps everything in a timeline style for easy organization.

My main use for it is my new Project365. I needed a way to house and automatically sync my entries between devices, paired with an easy upload/share option. I hope they add sharing to Flickr soon, as it is currently not an option.

I only just downloaded it, so I may change my mind on it's level of fabulousness later. But for now, I really like it!

PS-I apologize if this app was mentioned already. 

Update- Not great for sharing to FB. The photo is super tiny in thumbnail view and when tapped within FB, it is only a portion of a "page".  :( 

Ooo! Oooo, oooooo! THIS one's a winner: Retromatic 8)  I can see ballookey using this one to create pure masterpieces!

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/retromatic/id571636510?mt=8&uo=4" target="itunes_store

You can create retro styled posters and portraits.
 Here's my first one:

Retromatic by cody yaya, on Flickr
by Zombellayaya

📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷

Etchings (iOS Universal) - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id551229053?mt=8. Instantly create beautiful etchings from any photo.

Game Your Video (iOS Universal) - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id496232649?mt=8 Alter and enhance your videos
by Bankai

📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷 📷

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2013, 01:44:44 pm »
For anyone wanting help with levels and angles: Sense Cam by Wilfredo Jr Bigol, and AI LevelCamera by B1VisualEffects.

Sense Cam has more features. LevelCam will take the shot automatically when you are level with the horizon.

I have at least 95 camera related apps because, when they drop to free, I download them all, then don't have the time to go through them, so they pile up. As I do, if I find any good ones, will share them here.

I'm presently playing with Nightcap by Chris Wood. It works nicely with interior shots, but haven't had the opportunity to use it for night shots (forgot I had it for MIT  :-[ ). Not ready to say yea or nay.

Have any of you used these and what do you think?
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2013, 01:04:43 pm »
I've always resized photos on my computer. Have been looking for a free app for iDevices that will resize. Found Photo Editor - Fotolr. Far from perfect, but good for a quick 640 resize and a fiddly 620 for forum posts. It is super simple, even for those who have never resized.

I know... I could probably find a better app if I paid for it, but I find it a fun challenge to discover the free, or free for a day type apps.

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Bankai44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Android username: bankai
  • Device: iPhone 5
  • Game Center: Bankai44
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 07:35:19 am »
I'm loving this app, very useful and fun to change the look of a photo by using the tone of another photo...

$1.99 -> Free

Color Thief (iOS Universal) - https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/id580674843?mt=8

Description

"Color Thief is FREE for a limited time | Brought to you by 3 Magic Shots. Download 3 Magic Shots to get more awesome apps like Color Thief for FREE"

Color Thief transfers colors from one photo to the next.
★ Apply the tone of old photos to new photos and vice versa.
★ Use your own photos as color filters.
★ Playful and quick, it's easy to discover new color combinations.
★ Harmonize a group of photos to have the same palette. Great for collage.
★ Results are saved at original resolution.
★ Share with Twitter, Facebook*, E-Mail, Instagram, Printing, and more.

4.5 / 5 "Color Thief is an app with a singular purpose and it does that task very, very well. ... Highly recommended!" - Life in LoFi iPhoneography

5 / 5 "the results are truly astounding and appear with unusual speed." - iCommePhoto

"This little mobile photography gem is a one-trick pony, but the trick is an extremely clever one." - Ars Technica

"(Color Thief) is the Robin Hood of the photo world. It takes great colors from one photo and gives those colors to other photos in need." - iOSAffairs

"One of the best color manipulating apps I have ever used, hands down! It is amazing!" - REGI on iPhoneArt

*Color Thief supports iOS 5 and iOS 6. iOS 6 is required for Facebook integration support.

What's New in Version 1.1
Great news! Color thief is now Universal. Run Color Thief at native resolution on your iPad at no additional cost.

http://youtu.be/Oe0uuVuxwaw

Bankai44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Android username: bankai
  • Device: iPhone 5
  • Game Center: Bankai44
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 07:35:38 am »
The lady in the video kind of sounds like Lisa... ;D

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 08:30:46 am »
I've just downloaded a couple of new (to me) photo apps.
Not had time to explore them yet so if anyone else already has experience with them feel free to give them a thumbs up or down.

ColorSplash (old app but only just trying it out)
ProCam XL
100 Cameras

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 08:34:08 am »
The lady in the video kind of sounds like Lisa... ;D

It IS Lisa...so that's what she's been up to lol. Calls herself Cat these days eh?

Plehk

• Dragon Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2013, 11:57:34 am »
@Gatecon:

I've used ColorSplash a little. Being new to the whole image manipulation thing, I thought it was quite simple to use for some interesting effects.

The night I downloaded it, I made this:

Was all impressed… Then realized it didn't look all that different from the original photo! Doh!

ColorSplash was also the <ahem> "trick" <cough, cough> I used to get just a little more "pop" for my submission to the recent 1000 Words "Sky" round:

Although looking back at that one, other than a little enrichment of the sky color, the effect really didn't do all that much for the dusk-faded landscape.  ::)

<shrug> What can I say? I'm a noob.  :P

Having a conversation with Plehk is "tortuous"* - ukhippo

*Or something to that effect. ;)

Currently playing Supernauts (on the "Mojo-Farm" crew)

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2013, 12:29:38 pm »
Had a very quick go with the pic of the cat.

Before:

After:

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2013, 04:42:57 pm »
Downloaded Color Thief this morning. Has potential.

Instead of Color Splash, I use Color Splurge. After comparing the 2, decided to keep the latter. Here is a sample. Photo is on the Coho ferry on our way to Vancouver Island. Our dog is wearing my ski jacket. It wasn't that cold, but he is a wim... Ah... delicate, LOL.

Plehk - When you first posted the shot, I wondered how you got that B&W feel, yet colored sky. Good one!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 05:03:36 pm by Selkii »

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2013, 04:46:59 pm »
Had a very quick go with the pic of the cat.

Before:

After:

which app did you use?

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2013, 05:01:44 pm »
Have ProCam (iPhone) and ProCamXL (iPad). I particularly like it's anti-shake and multiple shot features. With its other features, it is presently my camera app of choice.

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2013, 05:56:05 pm »
Downloaded another free app today - PIP Camera, by the same company that did FotoRUs, Fotoable, Inc. PIP is built into FotoRUs, but the stand-alone program seems to have more templates. Many of the templates are very versatile.

Example shows a pano coastline shot I took along the west coast of Vancouver Island. The center shot is of the nearby lighthouse (these are both favorite shots and will probably turn up in other posts  :D ).

Plehk

• Dragon Slayer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2013, 07:39:40 pm »
Instead of Color Splash, I use Color Splurge. After comparing the 2, decided to keep the latter.

Given that you've taken the opportunity to try both, what was it about Splurge that sealed the deal? (Or, what was it about Splash that made you reject it?)

Plehk - When you first posted the shot, I wondered how you got that B&W feel, yet colored sky. Good one!

Should've just asked!  ;) :)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:41:58 pm by Plehk »
Having a conversation with Plehk is "tortuous"* - ukhippo

*Or something to that effect. ;)

Currently playing Supernauts (on the "Mojo-Farm" crew)