Author Topic: What are you reading?  (Read 14045 times)

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
Re: What are you reading?
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2015, 09:07:14 pm »
Did you ever get to see the TV production of Agatha Raisin's Quiche of Death?

No! Thank you for telling me about it. Have read the entire series (ditto Hamish Macbeth).  If Quiche was ever on US TV, I missed it. I see it was produced in 2014, so there is always a chance it will pop up on PBS in a year or two.
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: Gatecon
  • Plus+: Gatecon
« Reply #181 on: October 28, 2015, 03:18:01 am »
Just finished The Martian.
Found it to be an interesting read, though a little too matter-of-fact and uneventful. Not really enough exploration of the mindset of someone alone on a hostile planet for 18 months.

Worth reading but probably makes a better movie.
Currently playing...umm nothing much.
TWD No-Man’s Land but getting  very bored with it very quickly.

Would still be playing We Rule and Supernauts - if the devs could be bothered.

frostysmama

• Noble
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Frostysmama
« Reply #182 on: October 30, 2015, 06:06:24 pm »
I have read a couple of the Sigma Force books by James Rollins and am currently reading The Eye of God which is also in the series.  I have really enjoyed them.

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 31, 2015, 01:08:19 am »
I have read a couple of the Sigma Force books by James Rollins and am currently reading The Eye of God which is also in the series.  I have really enjoyed them.

Jame Rollins is probably my most read author

frostysmama

• Noble
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Frostysmama
« Reply #184 on: October 31, 2015, 05:29:48 pm »
Gatecon, Have you read the Sigma Force?  I'm not sure how many books there are.  Are all his books the same type of stories?

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 01, 2015, 02:55:50 am »
They do tend to be similar plots...either an artefact discovered or some diabolical plot uncovered followed by a race around the world!

I have to admit that I haven't read the Sigma books in the correct order and although there are references to previous stories it doesn't ruin anything by reading them out of order.

These are the Rollins books I've read to date;
The Sixth Extinction, Map of Bones, Deep Fathom, Bloodline, The Devil Colony, Black Order, The Judas Strain, The Last Oracle, Ice Hunt and Sandstorm.

So I have three or four of his left to read, haven't done the short stories either yet. But looking forward to the upcoming The Bone Labyrinth in January

If you like the type of novel I can also recommend Andy McDermott and David Gibbins

Selkii

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Selkiii
  • Plus+: Selkii
« Reply #186 on: February 25, 2016, 05:46:52 pm »
Recommended, kind-a: "Pants on Fire: A Collection of Lies" by Clayton Smith (ebook, was free; don't know now)

A collection of bizarre (eccentric? weird? twisted?) short stories. I never, EVER, read anthologies because where one story might be great, I will suffer through another mediocre hoping for better the next time. This book is, IMO, a roller coaster full of enjoyable and miserable torture.

If you have a (very) twisted, imaginative and open (like the Wyoming-prairies wide) mind, this book may be for you. Dark humor through-out. Some surprise endings, others I-knew-that-was-coming sort.

But, I'm still recommending, right?
Visit Selkii's Flickr Photostream

“If you want to be a better photographer, stand in front of more interesting stuff." ~ Jim Richardson, NatGeo photographer

"You cannot depend on your eyes when your imagination is out of focus." ~ Mark Twain

Gatecon

• “Sir Pundemonium”
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 21, 2017, 04:13:51 am »
I'm taking a temporary break from reading my collection of James Rollins, David Gibbins, Andy McDermott titles as they were starting to feel a bit samey when read back to back (or should that be front to back?)

So I'm about to start the Costa Book of the Year 2016 Days Without End by Sebastian Barry;

'Pitch-perfect, the outstanding novel of the year so far.' Robert McCrum, Observer

'More wrenching and beautiful than anything I've read in a long time.' Aravind Adiga, Guardian Books of the Year

After signing up for the US army in the 1850s, barely seventeen, Thomas McNulty and his brother-in-arms, John Cole, fight in the Indian Wars and the Civil War. Having both fled terrible hardships, their days are now vivid and filled with wonder, despite the horrors they both see and are complicit in. But when a young Indian girl crosses their path, Thomas and John must decide on the best way of life for them all in the face of dangerous odds.