Author Topic: The Walking Dead (Discussion; Warning - Spoilers)  (Read 37711 times)

trigg

• Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 5s
  • Game Center: trigg77
Re: The Walking Dead (Discussion; Warning - Spoilers)
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 06:03:55 pm »
I think he took otis out so he could look like he risked his life even more for carl, to win over lori.
Or hes just being an TellySavalas...

OT: peasant? How degrading....

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 07:36:48 pm »
Do you think killing Otis was premeditated?  I think Shane new that they would not both make it since Otis was always out of breath and Shane hurt his leg.  The idea that if they were not going to make that he would shoot him might have been premeditated but I don't think he left the farm thinking Otis was never coming back.  Even if we all were thinking it. 

I think it was premeditated, but not from the outset, just from when they started that last run and Shane asked how many bullets Otis had left. It was his intent from that point to keep one bullet in reserve and let Otis fire all his, so that Otis would be helpless when Shane shot him and left him for dead.

The head shaving at the end could be interpreted in a few ways I guess, but I saw it as Shane prepping for the next time he throws a fellow human to the walkers. Otis almost kept Shane from escaping by holding tight to his hair, so the hair had to go. Shane is ready and willing to do this again.

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 07:42:35 pm »
I think he took otis out so he could look like he risked his life even more for carl, to win over lori.

No, I think he knows there is no chance of that now. He's definitely being a little bi*** about it though, like somehow somebody done him wrong.

dlorgere

• “Mr. Mom”
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: dlorgere
  • Plus+: dlorgere
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 07:57:24 pm »
I think it was premeditated, but not from the outset, just from when they started that last run and Shane asked how many bullets Otis had left. It was his intent from that point to keep one bullet in reserve and let Otis fire all his, so that Otis would be helpless when Shane shot him and left him for dead.

The head shaving at the end could be interpreted in a few ways I guess, but I saw it as Shane prepping for the next time he throws a fellow human to the walkers. Otis almost kept Shane from escaping by holding tight to his hair, so the hair had to go. Shane is ready and willing to do this again.

Good point about the bullet question, I had forgotten about that.  I think he also shaved his head so the others would not easily see the wound.

I think we need more backstories about the minor charecters.  Most of them I don't even care if they live or die.

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 08:20:24 pm »
I think we need more backstories about the minor charecters.  Most of them I don't even care if they live or die.

Definitely agree with this.

Although I do kind of wish Rick and Lori's kid had died. I get a little tired of sweet innocent children as an archetype in post-apocalyptic stories. They're boring characters who serve no purpose other than to (a) be a symbol of hope for the future, (b) remind the protagonists that they are still human and good, in spite of spending most of their time killing, and (c) get lost and/or injured to give the protagonist something heroic to do and to trigger a dramatic emotional response in the audience. When I see kid characters like this, it makes me feel the writers are phoning it in.

On a lighter note, I don't think we've discussed it, but I L.O.V.E. loved the zombie hanging in the tree!  ;D

Baublehunt

• “MY FAVORITE”
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Plus+: Baublehunt
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 08:35:14 pm »

[...peeks in and sees this next quote:]

On a lighter note, I don't think we've discussed it, but I L.O.V.E. loved the zombie hanging in the tree!  ;D

:o  [...runs back out the door to try again later.]

trigg

• Scholar
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 5s
  • Game Center: trigg77
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 10:34:38 pm »

Although I do kind of wish Rick and Lori's kid had died.

Hmmm...l i sort of wished that as well. :(

Mangoness

• Dark Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Access Entertainment
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Plus+: Mangoness
« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2011, 06:09:16 am »
My husband mentioned that he's pretty sure that the writers have hinted at Lori & Shane having a relationship before the zombies. Whether it was an actual affair he's not sure, but maybe some flirting or hinting about an affair or maybe they dated before the husband came into the picture.  I never got that feeling, but that's what he has picked up.

Shane's character has been in question for me ever since they showed the backstory of him leaving his best friend behind in the hospital which means he has thought ahead on such things before. He was trying to steal her away, and maybe it wasn't to hard to convince her otherwise.

Shane is more complex than originally thought, but the more time passes the more I think he's a jerk in a pretty package.  That has gotten away with more in life than he should have. All speculation of course.

Bankai44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Android username: bankai
  • Device: iPhone 5
  • Game Center: Bankai44
« Reply #23 on: November 05, 2011, 01:45:28 pm »
Yay...my wife and I finally got to watch the past episode.  My thoughts on Shane are that he didn't want to die (who does); and he knew he wasn't going to make it with his hurt foot/leg so the only way he was going to survive is to have a obstacle/distraction for the zombies to focus on while he got away.  I don't think he did it for Lori, he might have did it get back at Otis for shooting his best friends kid (his “son").  The one thing I agree with everyone else said was that he could have at least shot Otis in the head/heart to not let him suffer being eaten alive.

dlorgere

• “Mr. Mom”
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: dlorgere
  • Plus+: dlorgere
« Reply #24 on: November 05, 2011, 02:35:38 pm »

hivechild

• White Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Android username: tuathla
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: hivechild
  • Plus+: hivechild
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2011, 06:47:55 am »
Meh, just lost everything I wrote. In short, the fact Shane shot Otis in the leg and not the head to make it a clean kill and prevent possible zombification if he somehow didn't get completely eaten says it all. I also don't buy that it's unbelievable that this is just what he's like. We have seen hints of it the whole way through the show, and how often do people live and love alongside sociopaths and serial killers and innumerable other mental disorders without realizing it until something in them cracks?

I personally think they've done a good job of evoking such visceral emotion from the audience, even if it's loathing and dislike, toward a character.

Also, for those of tou who enjoy Max Brooks, you may get a kick out of So Now You're a Zombie: A Handbook for the Newly Undead by John Austin.
Please PM me before sending a request through GC or Android so I know who you are! Thanks. :)
 "Puddy cat, puddy cat, what do you hear, to cause that irrational twitch of your ear?" 
"I hear the lullaby Mother cat croons, to the play-weary kittens on Jupiter's moon."

itslivo

• Sorcerer
    • View Profile
    • iRevival - Affordable iPhone, iPod & iPad Repair
  • Game Center: itslivo
  • Plus+: itslivo, itsalsolivo
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2011, 09:13:30 am »
The show is good, but is growing old on me. Last night I focused on all the screw ups they did rather than the actual plot of the episode. And would they just find/kill off sophie already! It has been the main storyline of the whole season and it is boring me lol. It's nice to see merle return next episode though. And Darrell is definitely still my favorite character.

Ew, sounds like I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today lol.
Currently Playing: Clash of Clans

Gamecenter IDs (yes, 2 of them) :itslivo & iRevivalRepairs

Bankai44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2011, 09:40:09 am »
The show is good, but is growing old on me. Last night I focused on all the screw ups they did rather than the actual plot of the episode. And would they just find/kill off sophie already! It has been the main storyline of the whole season and it is boring me lol. It's nice to see merle return next episode though. And Darrell is definitely still my favorite character.

Ew, sounds like I woke up on the wrong side of the bed today lol.

The show is still doing okay for me; I agree, they need to "TellySavalas or get off the pot" with Sophia ordeal.  And Daryl has always been my favorite character because he doesn't hold back and speaks his mind.

lmao...I love it when the board changes my words to TellySavalas; especially when I posted that saying above...lmao...TellySavalas

Mangoness

• Dark Wizard
    • View Profile
    • Access Entertainment
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Plus+: Mangoness
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2011, 02:41:43 pm »
All I know is that "well" scene was the most disgusting thing I have ever seen, and hopefully will not get to see too much of that blob again.

You have to wonder how it got in there, an were the people trying to kill off some in the group.  Meaning some of the people in the house knew it was already there & directed them to use that well the most.  Strange thing to do once saving a kid, but I have a feeling the guy didn't mind them being around until the group got bigger.   I know they are trying to say it just fell in on its own, but maybe someone got a push?  I'm not sure how innocent the farm family is.  I'm sure they were pretty good people before, but like Shane... you just never know.

I just hope Daryl with his brother back doesn't change, maybe he was more mean with his brother around, he did say his bro was in prison which means a terrible influence.  However I loved the whole flower thing & the story.

Bankai44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2011, 03:04:57 pm »
Let me get some of dat water...