Author Topic: Apple iPhone USB charging/sync cables  (Read 1520 times)

Bankai44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Android username: bankai
  • Device: iPhone 5
  • Game Center: Bankai44
Apple iPhone USB charging/sync cables
« on: February 26, 2013, 10:49:54 am »
Ok, so anyone got the hook-up or low down on where I can get some USB cables for cheap, but great quality.  I see on Amazon and eBay sell some, but I'm afraid that I will spend the money and get screwed over with crappy cables.

I want great quality and mass quantity for a decent price...know of any places?

Also, I'd like some lengthy cables as well, like 6 foot charging cable too.

Bankai44

• Administrator
    • View Profile
  • Android username: bankai
  • Device: iPhone 5
  • Game Center: Bankai44

iMaiden

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: imaidenphone
  • Plus+: iMaiden
Re: Apple iPhone USB charging/sync cables
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2013, 11:05:19 am »
I can't speak to the quality of those cables but I do know that if you are looking for one for your iPad and not your iPhone then you must buy one that specifically states that is is for an iPad. There is a difference. I have both Apple and aftermarket cables and, while all of them I can use for my iPhone, only the iPad specific cables are recognized and work for the tablet.
Goodbye We Rule!

EvilMummy

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2013, 11:08:46 am »
I'll add that my ReTrak cable only works with the ReTrak charger, not my Apple chargers - and the charger has separate outputs for iPhone and iPad.

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2013, 05:21:14 pm »
I can't speak to the quality of those cables but I do know that if you are looking for one for your iPad and not your iPhone then you must buy one that specifically states that is is for an iPad. There is a difference. I have both Apple and aftermarket cables and, while all of them I can use for my iPhone, only the iPad specific cables are recognized and work for the tablet.

I wasn't aware of this. I use mine interchangeably, although I suppose it's possible the ones I'm using are all the iPad ones. The Apple Store sells the same cable for both devices.

I do know that the old Apple chargers are only 5 watts (new ones are 10 watts) and that newer retina-screen iPads will claim they aren't charging when plugged into them. They are charging, in fact, but very slowly, and not much at all if the screen is on.

iMaiden

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2013, 06:40:23 pm »
I just know that the cable for my 4S is not recognized by my (new) iPad and the aftermarket ten foot cable that I bought for my iPad on eBay also is a no go (even though it said it was for the new iPad). I didn't return it, it just became another phone cable. I do know that there is a difference in watts but you still must be careful when it comes to aftermarket sellers, they aren't always truthful.

I don't actually use the phone cables much except to connect for backups. I have an iHome clock radio where I dock my phone at night and it charges there.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2013, 07:56:16 pm by iMaiden »
Goodbye We Rule!

zombellayaya

• “Dedicated MoFart”
    • View Profile
    • Galleries for M-F Photo Challenges:)
  • Device: iPad 3
  • Game Center: zombellayaya
  • Plus+: zombellayaya
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2013, 07:49:44 pm »
I have these 6-Foot cables that we use for iPhone 4 & 4S, as well as iPad2. I haven't tried them on the newest iPad tho. But I can say I've used them heavily, traveling, and at home for over a year and they still work great. :)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004TIIW04/ref=oh_details_o09_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

ukhippo

• View Profile
  • Device: iPad 3
  • Game Center: ukhippo
  • Plus+: ukhippo
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2013, 07:51:07 pm »
Short answer: If you want to use long cables, you need to use a beefier iPad compatible power supply - preferably a matched power supply and cable.

Long answer:
It's all to do with the way the iPad detects whether it's connected to a USB port or the power supply.
The USB specs specify the max current as 500mA which isn't enough to drive the iPad's retina display. So the iPad needs to ensure that when it's connected to a USB port it doesn't draw more than 500mA and uses the battery to power the display (which is why it can't charge the battery when the display is active and it's connected to a USB port).
The iPad charger utilises the USB data connections as well as the power connections - it puts a high current down the data lines which the iPad detects and so knows it's connected to a charger and not a USB port. Being connected to a charger, it can draw the full 2A current from the power lines which is enough to power the retina display and charge the battery.
The problem with long cables is that the current drops off slightly to below the iPad's detection threshold - so the iPad thinks it's connected to a USB port.
The solution is to have a power supply that can provide a high enough current to compensate for the slight loss. I don't know what tolerance the iPad has for a higher than expected current, so you probably don't want to put a higher current down a short (standard) cable.

Alternatively, buy an extension lead and plug the iPad charger into that.
ukhippo - Missing the super-duper Supernauts🙁
Currently playing Farm Away! and Build Away!

On hiatus: Pixel People and Star Wars Tiny Death Star
No longer playing: The Tribez, My Singing Monsters, Happy Street, Puzzle Craft

iMaiden

• Epic Ruler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2013, 08:07:20 pm »
Thanks for the explanation UK. I did suspect that would be an issue when I saw the ten footer (even though the seller posted for use with the new iPad), it was cheap enough so I took a gamble. I was not surprised when it was a fail. Oh well.

I've never really been bothered with my current system of use (and cable) so I've never tried any others for the tablet since.
Goodbye We Rule!