Author Topic: Pocket Frogs  (Read 48277 times)

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket Frogs
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2011, 01:23:52 pm »
Quote from: ballookey
I've found another of your suggestions very helpful: In breeding my anura color combos, I used to max out the nursery each breeding session in hopes that one of those eight would be the combo I wanted. Now, per your suggestion, I breed just two or four times, then go check the froggydex to see if the combo hit. If it doesn't hit, I go back and breed a couple more times. This is a life saver when I have to use a rarer frog to create a combo. I don't have to waste as much money breeding what will likely be cheap frogs.

Plus, if I'm lucky enough to get the combo on the first or second breeding, that frees me up to start on the next combo, and the next, etc... And as long as I have room in my habitats, I can shove those eggs aside and keep going.

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2011, 01:24:18 pm »
Quote from: ballookey
Quote from: giaguara
should I get the baby proof kit and/or express mailbox? I hate having to use so many stamps to speed the mailbox...

I bought those two upgrades almost immediately. I didn't even really know if the egg carrier would be useful, but since they're lifetime upgrades, I figured what the heck. And in fact I haven't regretted either. Some deliveries are still looong and take six or eight stamps to speed, but I don't worry about them.

Quote from: Ava Glasgow
If you often use stamps to speed the mailbox, then yes, absolutely get the express mailbox.

As for the babyproofing kit, YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES!!!!

Especially now with the 8 additional habitats available, being able to move eggs out of the nursery before they hatch will make breeding and coin generation SO much faster.

So for $10 you get two permanent enhancements that really improve and speed up the game, AND you're supporting a great (and refreshingly non-greedy) game developer. :)

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2011, 01:24:29 pm »
Quote from: black magic woman
dragonfly, you might find this article helpful:

http://pocketfrogs.wikia.com/wiki/Breeding_Strategies

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2011, 01:25:04 pm »
Okay, that's all the strategy info from the old forum.  :D

black magic woman

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: nanaslugdiva
  • Plus+: bananaslugdiva
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2011, 04:13:51 pm »
Thanks for doing all of that!  I'm glad to have found the new threads!
Playing: Dragonvale, My Singing Monsters, Pocket Trains

Sporadically: Pixel People, Pocket Frogs, Tiny Tower, Tiny Death Star, Puzzlecraft

SueSue530

• “Cat Herder”
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Air
  • Game Center: SueSue530
  • Plus+: SueSue530
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2011, 05:36:10 pm »
I just downloaded Pocket Frogs today...just what I need, another time suck.  Glad to see the tips out here. I'll be studying them this weekend!
Plus ID/Game Center ID: SueSue530

Playing DragonVale World.

giaguara

• Noble
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Giaguara
  • Plus+: giaguara
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2011, 05:49:28 pm »
Pocket Frogs is awesome. Like the other game by the same company (Nimblebit), Tiny Tower, it's totally made BY gamers for gamers. Nothing spoils - no harm if you don't log in the game in 3 months and then decide to continue. All functions are available for free (but as someone who plays PF and decides to like the game, getting the baby proofing kit and express mailbox are good for supporting the developers, and they help the impatience in gaming bursts).

When looking for a specific frog, post here what you're looking for. Most likely someone here (a bunch play PF) has or can make a spare of the specific frog pattern for you. Or if looking for a glass chroma something, that too (easier to get a glass chroma anura gifted than to breed one oneself).

I've had several times periods when I play PF a lot, then for a while I don't, then I resume it again. It doesn't hurt to check in daily to see the daily gifts even in hibernation, as sometimes it's frogs, sometimes potions etc.

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2011, 05:54:26 pm »
Nothing spoils - no harm if you don't log in the game in 3 months and then decide to continue.

This is one of the big reasons I love Pocket Frogs. You don't have to feed them, pet them, or anything. They are there to create fun, not stress in your life.

Unlike another game we all know.  ::)

EvilMummy

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2011, 07:37:23 pm »
I play pretty much only offline, but have more than enough potions and stamps to make something if you want.  Best to PM me.  Probably not as advanced as Ava - level 22 and all awards.  Not all the sets because I have slowed down.

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2011, 08:28:15 pm »
Probably not as advanced as Ava - level 22 and all awards.  Not all the sets because I have slowed down.

I'm at level 27, not that these higher levels actually get you anything. My advanced level is more from having played a very long time, I think well over a year now, off and on. I have all the awards except for the 5,000-frog aware (still around 3,200 frogs, and not actively breeding at the moment). I do have all the sets, though... I love working on those. :)

EvilMummy

« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2011, 12:16:42 pm »
One tip you missed, Ava (at least I didn't see it in my sleep deprived state - thanks to my "littlest") is that even if your mail box is full, you won't loose a gift if you accept it.  Next time you connect to plus, it was ask you if you want it again.  And it will keep doing so until there is room in your mailbox.

Also, just wanted to share a little milestone - I'm SLOWLY working my way through the froggydex.  Today I completed 100% on Africanus - which my older daughter calls the "kissy frogs" because to her the pattern looks like lipstick marks.  (Previously completed Anura, Crustalli, Velatus, Clunicula, Marmorea, Puncti, Tribus, Lanterna, Glacio, Zebrea and Adamantis).  If you are doing the 100%, it really helps to have the babyproofing kit, and since there are no new awards, frogs or decorations above 16, no reason not to give yourself other challenges.

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2011, 09:35:08 pm »
EvilMummy, how many in your Froggydex? I'm at 17%, 3,280 frogs. I've got 100% of the anuras, and about 50% each of the next eight patterns. I was working on getting those all to 100%, but now that We Rule is sucking time out of my life again, I'm just doing the weekly sets plus breeding some high-end frogs for coin. :)

EvilMummy

« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2011, 06:54:21 am »
Ava, froggydex is at 28% with 5,330 frogs.

This is my latest breeding set to start working on the Ludo 100%:

I made them last night, but not yet hopped.  I'm also playing catchup on weekly sets and doing requests (if they are for frogs I have not yet bred).

ballookey

• “Dork Wizard”
  • Resident Artist
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPhone 4S
  • Game Center: ballookey
  • Plus+: ballookey
Re: Pocket Frogs strategies for complete sets
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2011, 09:33:51 am »
So I'm working on my last achievement, the Froggydexter 5000 or whatever. I already had a complete set of anuras, and so I figured I'd strike out working on more complete sets. Just finished my second, the cluniculas (because they're quick, cheap, and I had a bunch already). I'm about to start working on a third set, the crustalli.

ANYWAY, I thought I'd ask y'all about any strategies you have to start breeding a set. I don't know if there's any tips or tricks. I try to get them done as efficiently as possible, but I don't know if I have the best approach.

I noticed in EvilMummy's screen shot, that you're using tone-on-tone frogs to build a complete set of primary and secondary colors and wondered how you would proceed from there.

Most of my sets have just a few percentage points of frogs, so I'm thinking if I tried to create a breeding set like that, I'd spend a lot of time breeding them that way first just to get started. I work like this, for comparison:

I create a complete set of frogs in the target pattern, all with the same primary color and one each of the secondary color. So for the crustallis I just started, I have a set of 16 frogs, all glass, one each secondary color.

Then I start at the top of the primary color list, using a crustalli frog in the primary color I'm working on, and go through and breed that frog with all the secondaries, checking after each two attempts to see if I got it. I use about 5 empty habitats to hold eggs, and take a break when they're full to allow them to mature. Clean out, continue. When I'm done with Maroon, I move on to Red, and so on.

And wow, that makes almost no sense. I still throw it out there to you pros to see if you have any tips.
Insta & Twitter: @ballookey

EvilMummy

« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2011, 10:12:42 am »
What I try do do, ballookey, is get rid of a frog each round of breeding.

i.e. If the frog I'm breeding out is the glass chroma, I breed sequentially through all the frogs until all the chromas are showing as done for each primary colour and all the secondary colours are showing as done for the glass.  When that is done, I can go ahead and sell that frog and move on to the next one, freeing up a bit of space.  I tend to work from the bottom to the top, just as I like to work counter-clockwise rather than clockwise. 

I tend to breed 4 times, check, then proceed.  If the frog(s) I'm breeding for were successful, I move the secondary frog to the end of the line, and start the next batch.  I found that when I was breeding 8, it took a lot longer, and that checking every time was too time consuming.  4 was my optimum checking here (though I check every second frog when breeding for a request or a set).

EG: Breeding Glass Chroma Ludo and Maroon Tingo Ludo with aim of 2 frogs - Glass Tingo Ludo and Maroon Chroma Ludo.  When both are successfully bred, Maroon Tingo Ludo is moved out of same habitat as the Glass Chroma Ludo, and next ones are moved in (or in this particular case, Glass Chroma Ludo is sold, and start breeding Black Picea Ludo and Cocos Cafea Ludo aiming for Black Cafea Ludo and Cocos Picea Ludo).

Hope that didn't confuse you more.

Another strategy that I have come across is breed multiple species for colour - similar maturation rates.  So breed Red Tingo X with Red Carota Anura untill all the X are bred.  Then when they are mature breed Red Carota X with Red Aurum Anura until all the X are bred.