Author Topic: Pocket Frogs  (Read 48372 times)

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
Pocket Frogs
« on: November 04, 2011, 12:42:12 pm »
Strategy, trading, links... all Pocket Frogs discussion is welcome. :D
« Last Edit: January 30, 2013, 09:24:07 am by Bankai44 »

dlorgere

• “Mr. Mom”
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: dlorgere
  • Plus+: dlorgere
Re: Pocket Frogs
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2011, 12:43:50 pm »

Ava, I can unlock the Pocket frog thread over there so you can just quote it.  It might be easier?

Edit:  I unlocked it anyways.  Let me know when you are done (via PM) and I will lock it again. 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 12:57:12 pm by dlorgere »

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2011, 01:17:41 pm »

Ava, I can unlock the Pocket frog thread over there so you can just quote it.  It might be easier?

Edit:  I unlocked it anyways.  Let me know when you are done (via PM) and I will lock it again.

Drats, of course I see this after I've done all my copy and paste!  ::)

If I think to do any other threads and they look hard, I'll pm to ask for an unlock. :)

Side note: I thought I'd put it all in the one "placeholder" post, but now I think I'll stick with separate posts so it doesn't get all muddled together. INCOMING!  :D

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2011, 01:18:20 pm »
Quote from: Ava Glasgow
Quote from: black magic woman
I found it really helpful as I moved up levels to complete the achievements. It gave me extra XP and helped me complete levels. At some point though, I would recommend you do the FroggyDex for all Anuras. ... It means you don't need to feel so squeezed with the Catalogue and can buy any color combo in an Anura and breed it with whatever frog you need.

This is an excellent strategy, and basically makes the game much easier and much faster.

My old pre-froggydex strategy included maintaining each pattern and each color (base and highlight) in breeding stock, and in my catalog as a backup in case I stupidly sold a breeder. The problem was that I sometimes needed to use high-level and slow-to-grow patterns just to get the color I needed. And because the base and highlight colors needed were usually on two different breeders, I had to breed multiple generations to get the right combination.

But with the Froggydex, I just made sure I had all color combinations of Anura (which actually gets you the 100% achievement), and then just buy the ones I need for any given request or set. It takes just a few seconds to tame them, and then I breed with the desired pattern.

For the patterns, I still have most of the patterns kept as breeding stock, but with three habitats set aside for breeding (nursery, grow-out, and pre-sale happy-making), I only have 40 slots open for breeding stock frogs. There are 45-ish patterns now, so I dropped the lower level ones and get them from the catalog or Froggydex when needed.

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 01:18:32 pm »
Strategy tip:

If you're willing to pay for an IAP, I highly recommend the Babyproofing Kit for $4.99. It allows you to move unhatched eggs to any habitat, so you can have more than the eight allowed in the dedicated nursery. It is a one-time purchase for a permanent game enhancement.

This speeds up breeding for specific requests or sets, and when not working on those, allows you to raise more coin-generating frogs at the same time.

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 01:19:05 pm »
Quote from: ballookey
I'm not very clear on the Froggydex, so I'll check that out in depth tonight so I understand what that is.

Simple answer: If you have ever had a particular frog (pattern/base-color/highlight-color), it will be available to clone in your Froggydex. Cloning usually costs about 10 times the selling price, but for an Anura, that's only about 400-600 coins.

What this means is that even if you didn't catalog a particular color or pattern of frog, you can still buy another copy, just at an elevated price.

Regarding the anuras & color, I too had the thought that I'd maintain a full set of anuras in primary and secondary colors in my catalog for quick color access. But unless I'm mistaken, I've found two drawbacks:

I can buy anuras cheaply from the catalog, which is the appeal, but to breed them with a more rare pattern, the breeding alone costs more than I can sell most of the offspring for. I don't have numbers in front of me, so I might be off on this, but I can sell anuras for what, 100-ish coins? But to breed them with a level 7 frog, costs 300-ish coins. And most of the offspring tend to be anuras, which leads to the second drawback:

If I have an anura with exactly the colors I want and breed it with a pattern I want in those colors, I find that more often the colors from the patterned frog are conferred in some combination on anura offspring rather than the color traveling from the common anura to the rarer pattern.

I don't know if that all made sense, but in essence, to use anuras for color I find I end up with a LOT of cheap anuras that I can't recoup my breeding investment on. I do eventually get the desired frog, but it's like one in 16 tries. More sometimes.

I'm thinking that I'd rather use frogs of similar rarity to breed for color and pattern because then at least I always recoup breeding costs and make a nice profit.

Your logic is what I played by until I switched to the Anuras-Froggydex strategy. It worked, but it is MUCH slower and labor intensive to arrive at specific frogs.

Your concern for coin is one problem. What I do is spend time just focused on generating coin by breeding my two most expensive frogs repeatedly. Then I have an abundance of coin with which to breed specific requests and sets (which normally lose money, but gain stamps and potions, and are just fun to do).

However, I spent a good couple of days boning everything in the pond before I even figured out what I was supposed to do, and only noticed the races yesterday, so. . . which frog is the dumbest? That's me!! :)

The races are what I used to get all the patterns. When you go up a level, do the pond until you get any pattern for the new level (or ask a nice friend like me). Once you have any pattern for a particular level, you get that frog to 100% happy and then take it to the races. The other frogs in the race will be the same level as yours, and if you win (which is random), you can take any of the other frogs that you choose.

I had to do 5-10 races for each win, but it's a lot faster than jumping around the pong hoping to find a very rare frog to mate with.

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 01:19:42 pm »
Strategy tip: Culling

One thing that has dramatically improved my Pocket Frogs play is selling off unhatched frog eggs that aren't the right ones, making more room to breed additional frogs. It is expensive because you're essentially throwing out undesired frogs, so you'll need to do coin breeding beforehand until your bank account is well stocked.

First level culling: By pattern level, assuming you've bred patterns of different levels. When you inspect an egg, you can't see the final frog, but you can see the level that it is. Sell off the eggs that are the wrong level, and therefore the wrong pattern. Statistically speaking, this doubles the probability of getting the correct frog from any remaining egg.

Second level culling: By value. Another thing you can see when inspecting an egg is its maximum sale price. This value appears to be unique for each pattern-color-highlight combination. So if I check the parent for the desired pattern and get its value number, I can look for that same number in the eggs and remove them (assuming the parent wasn't the desired color as well). That leaves three other values that are kept.

Assuming parent frogs of different color, highlight, and pattern, you start with a 1/8 chance of any egg being the right frog. After the two culling techniques above, the chances are now 1/3, much better odds.

Bonus tip: If you need multiple copies of a particular frog, use potions to hatch the remaining three eggs (one of each unique value) until you find the desired frog. Make a note of its value, then in your next round of breeding, cull all eggs except ones with that specific value.

[As I said, culling can get expensive, but once you get higher level frogs and breed them for coin, money shortages are no longer a problem.]

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 01:20:01 pm »
Some other PF tips:

1) I use the catalogue for all the expensive frogs (I used to have one of every breed in the catalogue) because frogs are much cheaper to buy from the catalogue. Anuras are no big deal to buy from the Froggydex.

2) I bought the Babyproof kit and the Express Mailbox. It really did make my life easier. I have been playing the game for like 9 months now, so I think the devs deserve my $$ and both upgrades have made me life easier. Especially since I finished all the achievements and have just been breeding frogs 24x7.

3) If I am looking for a particular frog to breed, that I have not bred before, (say a Pink Tingo Dextera), as I'm breeding frogs, I take note if the numbers of frogs changes in the froggydex and then if the numbers change, I go to the Dextera area of the Froggydex, then the Pink area and see if that frog appears. If it does, I know I have successfully bred the frog. If I need that frog (like for a request), I take note of the value of the frog in froggydex and find it in the nursery and move it to a place where I won't sell it.

4) I typically sell anura eggs (from breeding) that I don't need. So when I breed anuras with a dextera (wanting a dextera) and I get anura eggs, I sell the eggs right away. Sure I take a loss, but I have over 3 million in coin. I think I can take the loss.

5) I wish there had been races when I started the game! I spent way too much time in the pond looking for breeds. Now I think I would race as soon as I was able.

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 01:20:16 pm »
Okie dokie, I see the advantage of the racing mini-game now. I needed a level 4 frog pattern that apparently I'd never come across. So I grabbed another level 4 frog and took them to the races. After a couple of tries, i was able to grab the pattern frog I needed.

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 01:20:48 pm »
Quote from: dragonflygirl25
how does a frog become tamed? I know it's in the pond but sometimes I take a frog there and almost immediately it says tamed...others seems like it never will happen.

The frog has to gulp a certain number of flies before it's tamed. More common frogs only have to gulp a few. The higher in rarity, the more flies. When you go to the pond with an untamed frog, the number of flies needed should be at the top of the screen.

And while the size of the fly affects the happiness level to greater or lesser degree, when taming all flies are equal, so big or small, gulp them down. :)

Quote from: giaguara
The flies needed to tame the frog depends n the frog's rarity. Anura (1) = 3 jumps. You can see the level and amount of flies needed when you are on the pond. The amount of flies = 3 x the level, so 1 = 3, 12 = 36 and so on.

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2011, 01:21:15 pm »
Do you catalogue everything? Is that so that you can buy one again in the future?

So probably the main key to the game is how you manage the limited slot the game provides in the catalogue, habitats, and mailbox.

the catalogue only has 50 slots, so you need some strategies on how to use it. My philosophy has been, since the introduction of the froggydex, to catalog breeds that are expensive because they are more difficult for me to afford from the 'dex.

So I have all breeds down through Level 6. I used to have all breeds down through 3, but as I acquired more coin, I can afford to free up slots through Level 5.

The main thing (which has been echoed above) is to get all the Anuras, then you can use the catalogue however you see fit and buy the color combo in anuras from the dex whenever you need it.

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2011, 01:21:37 pm »
I just realized something last night that makes it possible to identify what an unhatched egg will be with 100% certainty. I already knew half the info, I don't know why it took me so long to figure out the really useful part.

The part I knew:
Frogs will show up in your Froggydex as soon as the correct egg is created. You don't have to wait for it to hatch or grow to an adult.

The part I just realized last night:
The Froggydex will tell you what the max-value of the desired frog is. So obvious, and yet somehow I missed it.

How to use this info:
Say I'm trying to create a White Picea Biplex (WPB). Using my previous culling, I could narrow it down to three possible eggs, but I had to either use potions or wait for hatching to identify which egg is the WPB.

But now after breeding eggs, I just go check the Froggydex again to see if a WPB is now available. If so, I note the max-value, then go back to my nursery and pick out the egg(s) with the correct value.

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2011, 01:22:00 pm »
Another Froggydex-related technique that just dawned on me last night: Instant growing frogs from eggs using coins and stamps, but no potions.

Once you have bred the correct egg and the desired frog appears in your Froggydex, purchase a cloned one and use stamps to instantly deliver your frog.

Obviously this is more useful once you've been playing a while and have lots of coin and stamps built up. Until now I've always used potions to grow, plus I've got the express mailbox (delivers in half the time), so I've got way more stamps than potions.

Note: This turned out to be the same as BMW's #3 above. :)

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2011, 01:22:21 pm »
New frog patterns from the July 2011 update:

10. Image from a user on toucharcade.

Ava Glasgow

• "Tastes like guava"
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2011, 01:23:31 pm »
I know when you breed a frog it goes into the froggydex but does it stay in the dex if you sell it or is it removed? Also some guides say to keep one of each Anura while others say dump them as you get rarer ones...??

The froggydex is like a catalog of all the frogs that have ever been in one of your habitats. Once you breed a particular frog (main color, sub color, breed), it shows up in the froggydex and if you want, you can purchase that frog again in the future.

So nothing can be removed because all the froggydex is is a record of the frogs you've bred or placed in a habitat.

I bred all anura color variations so I have them in my Froggydex, from whence I can purchase a clone (anura clones are cheap) for whatever color combo I might need for breeding.

In my habitats, I keep one of each pattern for breeding stock. The higher level patterns can be very expensive to clone, so it makes sense to keep them on hand rather than purchasing new clones for each request.