Author Topic: PC : Diablo 3  (Read 6136 times)

taeles

• “Sir Romphs-a-lot”
  • The Adults
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: taeles
PC : Diablo 3
« on: April 20, 2012, 03:01:02 pm »
Bring it!

Wootiecat

• “Formerly Norwoods”
  • The Adults
    • View Profile
  • Game Center: Wootiecat
Re: PC : Diablo 3
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 03:08:44 pm »
Only 12 years of waiting!

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad Pro 12.9
  • Game Center: wilyone
  • Plus+: WilyOne
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 02:49:01 pm »
Still deciding if I really want to continue the Diablo journey.  While I finish Diablo (plus the expansion from Sierra which made the original even more enjoyable), I never managed to pick up the expansion for D2.  When I finally got around to looking for it, I had 2 choices, buy the whole battlechest or pay full price for the very old expansion. 

I've gotten over the whole always-connected-to-the-internet aspect of it all.  It's not like I have a laptop capable of playing D3 anyway. 

Aeschylus

• Dark Wizard
    • View Profile
  • Device: iPad 2
  • Game Center: Aganazzar
  • Plus+: Aganazzar
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 02:45:15 pm »
So far, not all that impressed with D3.

Not that "more of the same" has ever been bad for the Diablo series, but Titan Quest raised the bar, and D3 does not seem to be a step forward at all.

taeles

• “Sir Romphs-a-lot”
  • The Adults
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 09:10:14 pm »
So far, not all that impressed with D3.

Not that "more of the same" has ever been bad for the Diablo series, but Titan Quest raised the bar, and D3 does not seem to be a step forward at all.

Titan Quest rocked indeed, a tragedy what happened to the developer studio behind it.

Aeschylus

• Dark Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 04:26:47 am »
Titan Quest rocked indeed, a tragedy what happened to the developer studio behind it.

That is a long story, sir.

Iron Lore was the company behind TQ, and they went out of business shortly after the TQ expansion went live.  Basically, they were a small studio, they say they did not make enough money off TQ in order to be completely self-sufficient, and they could not secure enough funding for their next project.  In 2007, they shut down and Iron Lore ceased to exist.

However, a couple of the people behind Iron Lore reformed as Crate Entertainment, and they started developing their own game in-house using their own money.  They spent the next year reacquiring the TQ IP and in 2010 / 2011 they announced they were making a game called Grim Dawn, which was going to be the official sequel to TQ.  They have spent the last 2+ years working on it out of their garage, quite literally.  They have existed off their own money and donations from the general public.  (A "donation" essentially got you a preorder copy of the game, access to beta, and other stuff depending on how much you donated).

They just put up a KickStarter a couple days back to finish the last round of funding.

I probably donated more than I should have, but I like backing the small guys ... especially the ones who put out something like TQ.

Aeschylus

• Dark Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 04:28:16 am »
It occurs to me after I wrote all that that you were not asking what happened to them, but stating that what did happen to them was a tragedy.

At least I think that is what you said  ???

taeles

• “Sir Romphs-a-lot”
  • The Adults
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 05:03:42 am »

Iron Lore was the company behind TQ, and they went out of business shortly after the TQ expansion went live.  Basically, they were a small studio, they say they did not make enough money off TQ in order to be completely self-sufficient, and they could not secure enough funding for their next project.  In 2007, they shut down and Iron Lore ceased to exist.

However, a couple of the people behind Iron Lore reformed as Crate Entertainment, and they started developing their own game in-house using their own money.  They spent the next year reacquiring the TQ IP and in 2010 / 2011 they announced they were making a game called Grim Dawn, which was going to be the official sequel to TQ.  They have spent the last 2+ years working on it out of their garage, quite literally.  They have existed off their own money and donations from the general public.  (A "donation" essentially got you a preorder copy of the game, access to beta, and other stuff depending on how much you donated).

They just put up a KickStarter a couple days back to finish the last round of funding.

I probably donated more than I should have, but I like backing the small guys ... especially the ones who put out something like TQ.

The reason for the lack of profits in the titan quest series was the tragedy, they had put some serious anti theft coding into the game engine that would make the game run like crap and crash often if you got it by illegal means. All the downloaders got copies, saw it crash and run like crap and filled all the major game media sites with negative reviews. Iron Lore came out and explained that the poor performance only presented itself on illegally obtained copies but they refused to explain how they did it because they didnt want hackers smoothing out the illegal copies.

In the end, their own security was their downfall thanks to abunch of pirates who reviewed the game under illegally obtained copies of the game.

taeles

• “Sir Romphs-a-lot”
  • The Adults
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 05:21:18 am »
ohhh tymuch for the kickstarter info, i pledged too :)

Aeschylus

• Dark Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 05:38:07 am »

The reason for the lack of profits in the titan quest series was the tragedy, they had put some serious anti theft coding into the game engine that would make the game run like crap and crash often if you got it by illegal means. All the downloaders got copies, saw it crash and run like crap and filled all the major game media sites with negative reviews. Iron Lore came out and explained that the poor performance only presented itself on illegally obtained copies but they refused to explain how they did it because they didnt want hackers smoothing out the illegal copies.

In the end, their own security was their downfall thanks to abunch of pirates who reviewed the game under illegally obtained copies of the game.

See, I should have known that you knew your stuff; I will not make that error  in the future  8)

Aeschylus

• Dark Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 05:39:23 am »

There are a couple decent things on there.  I donated to the Wasteland 2 KickStarter, which got funded a couple weeks back.

All the original crew from Wastland got back together and were looking for 900k to make Wasteland 2.  I think they wound up raising 3 million  :o

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 09:13:02 am »

There are a couple decent things on there.  I donated to the Wasteland 2 KickStarter, which got funded a couple weeks back.

All the original crew from Wastland got back together and were looking for 900k to make Wasteland 2.  I think they wound up raising 3 million  :o
Hard not to back a Wasteland 2 Kickstarter when most of the original crew and one of the original writers is working on it.   ;D

wilyone

• Alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 11:43:14 am »
Guildmate of mine in Wow made the following observation to me a couple nights ago.  (And yes, I need to get around to cancelling before Blizzard renews me for another month.)

Had I know then, what I know now
I would not have done the 1 year WoW subscription for D3.

The folks that I know that are in the D3 beta are all not liking it as much as they thought they would.

Aeschylus

• Dark Wizard
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 06:22:03 am »
The folks that I know that are in the D3 beta are all not liking it as much as they thought they would.

It is not blowing me away.  At its core, it is Diablo, and you know what you are getting.

I preordered long ago and will play on launch day, but I am not nearly as excited about it as I was.  I definitely do not see me getting as much replayability out of it as D2 or TQ.

taeles

• “Sir Romphs-a-lot”
  • The Adults
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 10:49:29 pm »
-tries to log in at midnight est, notes the pst at the end of the launch time-

God damn it we east coasters get screwed again!